Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kazbates's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,623
Karma: 400000
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Device: EBW-1150, Sony PRS-700BC, Sony PRS-600BC, Sony PRS650BC
Okay! Everybody has different opinions and a right to express those opinions. Jon has a tendency to be direct with little sugar coating, thus his responses. In his defense, he is trying to be as precise as possible because so many people come on to MobileRead for answers to their ereading questions and be accurate with descriptions is important.

As for eink clarity on the 600: If you are used to the 505 and expect the display to be the same on the 600, you will be disappointed. However, the display is considerably better on the 600 than the 700 in a side-by-side comparison. There will always be some glare/reflection from a reflective surface such as glass, which occurs on all of the Sony Readers. However, it is less noticeable on the 505 than the 600 or 700. Because of the added layer of the touchscreen, the reflective qualities of the screen are greater on the 600 and the 700.

It is the crispness or darkness of the eink lettering that is really the issue. The 505's lettering is darker than that of the 600 but the 600 is darker than the 700. By eliminating the size of the gap between the touch screen and the eink display on the 600 by removing the light source, they have reduced the distortion which caused the more diffused display. I have had the 700 since last December and am very happy with the display. Yes there is some glare but it is manageable. I actually have more success reading in direct sunlight. It is reading indoors with an overhead light like a reading lamp that generally gives me the greatest problems but I just shift positions and am able to continue reading just fine. Although I love the 700, I have put in an order fro the 600 because I have mono-vision (one corrective lens to see near and the other to see far) and am hoping the darker lettering will cause less eyestrain.

Bottom line: if you don't need or care about the touch screen and your main objective is to have the clearest and darkest display, stick with the 300 or the 505.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,965
Karma: 17041886
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
It is a fact that is the store where you saw them they were aligned in such positions relative to the lights that the screen of the 600 looked better. It is very easy to fool customers.
But in real life conditions, people who bought it and compared it to the screen of their 505 came to a clear condition: the new screen is worse.
I actually took the 300 and the 600 out of the stands and held them in the same position so the light was directly on the screen. This way, the different default positions of the devices would not be an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,965
Karma: 17041886
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
You're hopeless. You act as if I'm bad mouthing your children. People should not pass on the 600 because I didn't like the screen. People shouldn't buy one because I like it. People should look at them and make their own decision. I'm offering my opinion nothing more. I've shown it to two other people who also regretted the screen wasn't better. One went as far as saying he thought it would give him a headache, his words not mine. You're perfectly free to disagree with my assessment. However when you accuse me of spreading misinformation you go over the line. You think it's just fine, others do was well, but I don't call you liars by accusing you of spreading misinformation because I disagree with you. It's a subjective opinion the same as yours. Just because an opinion is yours doesn't make it fact. I'm glad for everyone who liked it and wasn't disappointed like I was. And to imply that I and people who agree with me shouldn't express our opinion because we'll cause the downfall of the model is ludicrous. You're just totally over the top on this one. And by all means have at me in your reply because I'm telling you ahead of time I have nothing further to say to you on this topic.
I'm not saying the 600 is perfect. But when people come to MR to read about the different devices, I think it's best if the facts were correct. The 600 has some reflection yes. But glare is not an issue with the 600. I'm not disagreeing with anyone's opinion. I'm just trying to correct the facts. It is a fact that the 600 does not have as much glare in direct light as a 300 or 505. It is a fact that the 600 has more reflection then a 300 or 505. So each has their particular differences. Now as to whether these things are of issue to the perspective buyer is a matter of opinion. All I am trying to do is correct the facts so as to not give a false impression based in misinformation. I'm sorry if that offends you. I was not trying to offend you. I was just trying to correct some misinformation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
=X='s Avatar
 
Posts: 3,672
Karma: 12205348
Join Date: Mar 2008
Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I found myself constantly adjusting the position of the Mighty Bright last night. Constantly fidgeting everything around to change the page resulted in my cover getting bent (not a permanent bend, just a curve).
.
I don't think this is really a 600 issue because I found this to be the exact same thing with my 505. The light wedge really fixed this problem for me, of course a $60 fix is quite expensive.

The problem I think is using a Mighty Bright, the light bulb causes a glare on the screen that makes it hard to read. I too found it near impossible to read with a night light on my 505.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #35
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kazbates's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,623
Karma: 400000
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Device: EBW-1150, Sony PRS-700BC, Sony PRS-600BC, Sony PRS650BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
It is a fact that is the store where you saw them they were aligned in such positions relative to the lights that the screen of the 600 looked better. It is very easy to fool customers.
But in real life conditions, people who bought it and compared it to the screen of their 505 came to a clear condition: the new screen is worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I actually took the 300 and the 600 out of the stands and held them in the same position so the light was directly on the screen. This way, the different default positions of the devices would not be an issue.
In my first hand report in the First Hand Report thread, I stated that I was able to take the 600 around to various lighting sources in the store since I was comparing it to my 700. The salesperson was very helpful in allowing and even encouraging me to do this since it was quite obvious the display on the 600 is a significant improvement over the 700. It may be easy to fool some uninformed customers, but not experienced ereaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I don't think this is really a 600 issue because I found this to be the exact same thing with my 505. The light wedge really fixed this problem for me, of course a $60 fix is quite expensive.

The problem I think is using a Mighty Bright, the light bulb causes a glare on the screen that makes it hard to read. I too found it near impossible to read with a night light on my 505.

=X=
I agree! I frequently have to repostion by little gooseneck light when I'm reading. Of course, it really doesn't bother me that much so I am happy to exchange my 700 for the 600.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #36
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with others
 
Posts: 401
Karma: 2577
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: Kindle
I did end up taking my 600 back to the Sony Store - I am confident that many people will love the 600, but for me (especially after owning a prs-505 for so long) that the touch screen still sacrificed legibility for that feature. For some (maybe most) the touch feature outweighs the reflection issues, but for me it did not. The readability and clarity are the most important features in a reader for me. I will say they improved over the 700 but it still felt like a compromise to me...

I purchased the 600 for the augmented pdf features. I think I will try a Kindle DX next - I know its not perfect either but i would rather use a joystick to navigate then interfere with or diminish the display quality in any way

PS - i have tried the Irex reader (too expensive (understatement)to short a battery life and the capactive buttons made me crazy)

On a bright note I was able to sweet talk the Sony salesperson into forgoing the 15% restocking fee
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #37
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with others
 
Posts: 401
Karma: 2577
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: Kindle
Lightbulb One man's meat is another man's reader being returned to the Sony store

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
a very harsh, bright dazzling light... The 600 does not do that.
ok I could not resist - isn't "glare" a subjective description? In your opinion the 600 does not have a significant amount of glare or as when used in this context a harsh or dazzling refelction of light. Fair enough, I can totally accept that. I think "Thai spicy" at most Thai restaurants is medium at best, while my daughter thinks "Thai spicy" is one step below eating red hot coals.

My belief that assigning the description of "fact" to your subjective and completely valid opinion that the 600 does not produce as much glare as the 300 and 600 is perhaps to strict of an interpretation. 2+2=4 is a fact, a given mass having gravity is a fact. Glare, reflection, taste, likes, dislikes etc are opinions. Although many people or even a majority may share the opinion they are still opinions of taste, preference or frame of reference.

In my subjective opinion, after owning a 600 for 5 days and then returning it (ugh terrible impulse buying problems coupled with horrible buyers remorse) my subjective opinion is that it had a very significant amount of glare, or reflective light issues on the screen; this being the main reason why I returned it.

In my opinion...

Last edited by davidspitzer; 09-04-2009 at 06:52 PM.
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #38
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
I tried the DX for PDF and it really sucked. How is the pdf support on your 505? is not good enough?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #39
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
I tried the DX for PDF and it really sucked. How is the pdf support on your 505? is not good enough?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #40
Mindflayer
Junior Member
Mindflayer began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2009
Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
I tried the DX for PDF and it really sucked. How is the pdf support on your 505? is not good enough?
For some items - like, say, Linux Journal - it's painfully slow. For some docs I wrote and converted to PDF for work which are 80% text, it's bearable.

I am going to test between this 505 and the 600 tomorrow.
Mindflayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #41
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others
 
Posts: 848
Karma: 2852
Join Date: Jul 2007
Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not saying the 600 is perfect. But when people come to MR to read about the different devices, I think it's best if the facts were correct. The 600 has some reflection yes. But glare is not an issue with the 600. I'm not disagreeing with anyone's opinion. I'm just trying to correct the facts. It is a fact that the 600 does not have as much glare in direct light as a 300 or 505. It is a fact that the 600 has more reflection then a 300 or 505. So each has their particular differences. Now as to whether these things are of issue to the perspective buyer is a matter of opinion. All I am trying to do is correct the facts so as to not give a false impression based in misinformation. I'm sorry if that offends you. I was not trying to offend you. I was just trying to correct some misinformation.
I'd like to correct some misinformation here as well.I played around with a 300 and a 600 in the store, alongside my 505. For quite a while. And for those who come to MR and see the above, I would like to correct the facts and point out that the 600 screen is more reflective under bright lights (what I would call "glare," making it harder to read) than the 300 or 505 screen. And this is what I have also read everywhere else (except in Mr Wolf's messages, strangely).

I checked them out for quite a while, different angles, etc. The 300 and 500 were easier to read, esp.when light was angling off of them. I have not seen anybody to this date (except JSW) contend otherwise.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #42
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with others
 
Posts: 401
Karma: 2577
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
I tried the DX for PDF and it really sucked. How is the pdf support on your 505? is not good enough?
600 screen has too much glare/contrast issues - 505 is ok but most letter size pdf's are simply too small too read easily even if you run them through pdfread and read them in landscape.

600 zoom is ok but i think i just need a bigger screen - i have tried the irex reader and found it lacking, so i was hoping the dx would work
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #43
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 299
Karma: 300
Join Date: May 2009
Device: kindle, pocket pro
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
600 screen has too much glare/contrast issues - 505 is ok but most letter size pdf's are simply too small too read easily even if you run them through pdfread and read them in landscape.

600 zoom is ok but i think i just need a bigger screen - i have tried the irex reader and found it lacking, so i was hoping the dx would work
seems like you and I have the same qandry.

Im thinking of waiting for the wireless editon from sony or the Barnes and NOble ebook reader. Perhaps, screen and pdf support will be better.

You know technology can only get better. patience may be required. which is hard for me.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #44
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough
 
PaulGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Karma: 520
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
600 screen has too much glare/contrast issues - 505 is ok but most letter size pdf's are simply too small too read easily even if you run them through pdfread and read them in landscape.

600 zoom is ok but i think i just need a bigger screen - i have tried the irex reader and found it lacking, so i was hoping the dx would work
I have a DX and it's PDF handling is kind of a mixed bag. Amazon opted to go on the cheap and purchase the lowest cost license they could get from Adobe. As such there are no zoom capabilities or ability to increase text size. So you're at the mercy of the original file. Some are rendered quite nicely. Others simply too small with no ability to make adjustments. Manuals and technical publications provided by publishers in PDF format look quite nice on the DX. Most brochure type documents down loaded from the web tend to fall in the too small category. So it's suitability for you will depend on your application/expectations. Amazon does offer a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee which may be the best way for you to evaluated it's capabilities/deficiencies.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #45
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough
 
PaulGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Karma: 520
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
did you get hit with a 15% restocking fee
It's official not only did we not get hit with a restocking fee they even refunded the original shipping cost. I only paid for the return shipping. Nice way to do business. I've since received the 505 and am very happy with it.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nook Buyers Remorse ManosHandsOfFate Which one should I buy? 74 10-26-2010 09:23 PM
Pocketbook 301+ Review - Buyer's Remorse spideyak PocketBook 2 06-22-2010 04:31 PM
Potential buyer's question about epub. BlueYamoto Sony Reader 3 12-26-2009 06:01 AM
PRS-600 Anybody else feeling buyer's remorse with the 600 “Premium Cover”? bhs Sony Reader 11 12-15-2009 12:59 PM
Recent "Buyer's Remorse" - anything you wish you hadn't bought? texasnightowl Reading Recommendations 6 04-03-2009 06:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.