Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 220
Karma: 1013114
Join Date: Sep 2006
I owned a 505 a while back, loved it except the size it simple was too large to carry bout. I started reading on my Ipod Touch, which was ok, about the equivelnet as doing so on a Pocket PC, but it was no e-ink device. So when I was they were basically making a smaller 505 I jumped at it, I had no issues with the 505 at all, I , Like you need a basic reader, don't need a dictionary or annotations, MP3's or SD card availability, and I kind of deplore the latest touch screen craze, that came from the Iphone that says every device need be touchscreen, an ebook ready really does not, button page advance clearly works better. IMHO. My 300 gets delivered today. Can't wait.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.
 
DougFNJ's Avatar
 
Posts: 266
Karma: 1332
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Device: 64 GB iPad 3G, iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64 GB, Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I , Like you need a basic reader, don't need a dictionary or annotations, MP3's or SD card availability, and I kind of deplore the latest touch screen craze, that came from the Iphone that says every device need be touchscreen, an ebook ready really does not, button page advance clearly works better. IMHO. My 300 gets delivered today. Can't wait.
I love my gadgets, I was loving the touch screen loooooong before the Ipod, anybody ever hear of the Palm Pilot? Some devices it works great IE Palm, iPhone/iPod touch, PRS-600, and sometimes it dosen't (See Blackberry Storm and most old Windows Mobile Devices)

I find the Touch screen to be very convenient in a few ways.....Easier than scrolling through buttons, Annotations and highlighting on some of my books can be handy, and I love being able to search with that keyboard. And occasionally that dictionary can be very handy for 2 reasons....looking up a word when reading, and looking up a word generally.

But hey....to each their own, I like my devices to be capable of as many features as possible not because I need them all the time....but WHEN I DO need them
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with othersdavidspitzer plays well with others
 
Posts: 401
Karma: 2577
Join Date: Aug 2006
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
I'm not exactly having regrets but I am returning the 600. My problem is the display is still soft in appearance compared to the 300 and 505 and has considerably more glare as well. I ordered both the 300 and 600 so I could choose once I had them in hand. Unlike you I really like the touch screen interface but the display is more important to me. So the 600 is going back and I've now ordered a 505 to be just as sure which I'd prefer the 300 or the 505. It's a long and convoluted way of doing things but whichever one I end up with I want to have no lingering doubts. I really like the 300. I just want to be sure I don't like the 505's bigger screen better. Like you I really wanted to like the 600, just didn't work out that way.
did you get hit with a 15% restocking fee
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough
 
PaulGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Karma: 520
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I owned a 505 a while back, loved it except the size it simple was too large to carry bout. I started reading on my Ipod Touch, which was ok, about the equivelnet as doing so on a Pocket PC, but it was no e-ink device. So when I was they were basically making a smaller 505 I jumped at it, I had no issues with the 505 at all, I , Like you need a basic reader, don't need a dictionary or annotations, MP3's or SD card availability, and I kind of deplore the latest touch screen craze, that came from the Iphone that says every device need be touchscreen, an ebook ready really does not, button page advance clearly works better. IMHO. My 300 gets delivered today. Can't wait.
I think you're going to love the 300. Keep us posted.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough
 
PaulGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Karma: 520
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
did you get hit with a 15% restocking fee
Not that I'm aware of. My wife handled the transaction. The whole thing was done on a Sony credit card so that may be why, but it was my understanding going in we had 30 days to return the item for full refund. If I get a charge on the card I'll let you know.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #21
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter
 
Grandma Aubbie's Avatar
 
Posts: 79
Karma: 229
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southwest Kansas
Device: sony 600
I am very happy with the 600 - but then, it's my first.

My bedroom and study lights are to the side of my chair/bed, because I have used my laptop in both locations, and glare is an issue on a laptop. So, I haven't experienced a problem there. However, in my living room, where the light from the window is behind me, I find I need to angle a bit with both laptop and reader.

Re: holding/turning pages.
I end up holding it in my right hand with my left at the top. This places my thumb at the bottom right corner of the page - and I have found that an angle from left to right (or right to left to go backwards) is an intuitive move.

There have been times when I've been seated with the cover open and it has been resting on my left arm. In this case, once again, it is a "brush" but this time I find myself using my index finger.

I DO annotate books for public speaking reference, so the touch was my only option - and I have been pleased with the reader itself.

I did have to go back to Sony Support concerning the software on the computer crashing (Vista 64) when my Sony was connected, so the verdict is still out on that aspect.

Otherwise, so far I am loving the 600. So, to answer you question - no buyer's remorse on my part.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #22
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 220
Karma: 1013114
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I love my gadgets, I was loving the touch screen loooooong before the Ipod, anybody ever hear of the Palm Pilot? Some devices it works great IE Palm, iPhone/iPod touch, PRS-600, and sometimes it dosen't (See Blackberry Storm and most old Windows Mobile Devices)

I find the Touch screen to be very convenient in a few ways.....Easier than scrolling through buttons, Annotations and highlighting on some of my books can be handy, and I love being able to search with that keyboard. And occasionally that dictionary can be very handy for 2 reasons....looking up a word when reading, and looking up a word generally.

But hey....to each their own, I like my devices to be capable of as many features as possible not because I need them all the time....but WHEN I DO need them

also why it's nice that Sony gave us a choice.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 220
Karma: 1013114
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
I think you're going to love the 300. Keep us posted.

I'll let you know...
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,949
Karma: 17041886
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
Wow! Why do you care so much? Maybe some people are using the wrong word and describing reflection as glare or something. In any event, there is something with the screen that several people haven't liked. These are people who actually bought one and tried it out for themselves and decided they don't like something about the screen - whatever they call it. I don't understand why you tell everybody that they are wrong in their opinion.
I care because some people would read that the 600 has more glare and then no buy it because of misinformation. And this is not an opinion. It is fact that the 600 does not have as much glare. I'm not saying anyone's opinion of liking the 600 or not is wrong. I'm just trying to correct incorrect facts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 35,949
Karma: 17041886
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
glare
–verb (used without object)
4. to shine with or reflect a very harsh, bright, dazzling light.

sigh
a very harsh, bright dazzling light... The 600 does not do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough
 
PaulGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Karma: 520
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I care because some people would read that the 600 has more glare and then no buy it because of misinformation. And this is not an opinion. It is fact that the 600 does not have as much glare. I'm not saying anyone's opinion of liking the 600 or not is wrong. I'm just trying to correct incorrect facts.
You're hopeless. You act as if I'm bad mouthing your children. People should not pass on the 600 because I didn't like the screen. People shouldn't buy one because I like it. People should look at them and make their own decision. I'm offering my opinion nothing more. I've shown it to two other people who also regretted the screen wasn't better. One went as far as saying he thought it would give him a headache, his words not mine. You're perfectly free to disagree with my assessment. However when you accuse me of spreading misinformation you go over the line. You think it's just fine, others do was well, but I don't call you liars by accusing you of spreading misinformation because I disagree with you. It's a subjective opinion the same as yours. Just because an opinion is yours doesn't make it fact. I'm glad for everyone who liked it and wasn't disappointed like I was. And to imply that I and people who agree with me shouldn't express our opinion because we'll cause the downfall of the model is ludicrous. You're just totally over the top on this one. And by all means have at me in your reply because I'm telling you ahead of time I have nothing further to say to you on this topic.

Last edited by PaulGuy; 09-02-2009 at 07:31 PM.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #27
bhs
Member
bhs began at the beginning.
 
bhs's Avatar
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Device: PRS600
His response was trying to answer her question "Why do you care so much?"
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #28
bhs
Member
bhs began at the beginning.
 
bhs's Avatar
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Device: PRS600
a1. Got 505 and light wedge cover a few days before the announcement of 600.
a2. Disliked the light wedge cover a lot.
a3. Felt like peeping through a window for 505 screens.
a4. Slow in turning pages of PDF files.
a5. Returned 505 to Sony style store.
a6. Got charge of 15% restocking fee for over $40. A remorse for better!

b1. Ordered 600 and premium cover online, which will come in two days.

c1. Will not compare her with exes. Might be dreadful.
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #29
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 297
Karma: 1021312
Join Date: Jun 2009
Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I care because some people would read that the 600 has more glare and then no buy it because of misinformation. And this is not an opinion. It is fact that the 600 does not have as much glare. I'm not saying anyone's opinion of liking the 600 or not is wrong. I'm just trying to correct incorrect facts.
It is a fact that in the store where you saw them they were aligned in such positions relative to the lights that the screen of the 600 looked better. It is very easy to fool customers.
But in real life conditions, people who bought it and compared it to the screen of their 505 came to a clear conclusion: the new screen is worse.

Last edited by Lbooker; 09-07-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #30
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough
 
PaulGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 112
Karma: 520
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs View Post
His response was trying to answer her question "Why do you care so much?"
First of all her question was questioning his response to my post (and others). Second, I was very clear and quite specific about what my objection was to his post(s), which explains "why I care so much". And if your implying that I shouldn't reply because his post wasn't directed to me then why don't you walk the walk and follow your own advice?

Last edited by PaulGuy; 09-03-2009 at 07:14 AM.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nook Buyers Remorse ManosHandsOfFate Which one should I buy? 74 10-26-2010 09:23 PM
Pocketbook 301+ Review - Buyer's Remorse spideyak PocketBook 2 06-22-2010 04:31 PM
Potential buyer's question about epub. BlueYamoto Sony Reader 3 12-26-2009 06:01 AM
PRS-600 Anybody else feeling buyer's remorse with the 600 “Premium Cover”? bhs Sony Reader 11 12-15-2009 12:59 PM
Recent "Buyer's Remorse" - anything you wish you hadn't bought? texasnightowl Reading Recommendations 6 04-03-2009 06:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.