Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Mobileread.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you should write them and suggest it.

I have

Perhaps other members could also mention the same about http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebo...k/5/subblock/1

AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
Whin
Whin began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS - 505
Essex library

I joined Essex library, using online registration, I live in the UK, but not Essex I downloaded my first book five minutes later.

Online application http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/E...ntentOid=15560

Elizabeth
Whin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whin View Post
I joined Essex library, using online registration, I live in the UK, but not Essex I downloaded my first book five minutes later.

Elizabeth
When joining, why does it ask me for my ethnic origin ??

Edit: Welcome to Mobileread, Elizabeth.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Maybe they have their software run by Microsoft?
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry, Kindle PW2, LG G-Pad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavardage View Post
So, the current cheapest is WHSmiths then. Hmm, no John Lewis (though I haven't seen any red 600s for preorder anyway, could they be doing the same red-exclusivity?)
Thats actually a really nice price from whsmiths, basically matching the american pricing once you take into account vat. Here's hoping its not a mistake and that as a consequence their sales are huge.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
alecE
Addict
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650 liseuses
Quote:
Seems to be standard practice these days. I usually frustrate the process by insisting that I'm English - this ethnic category is most often missing!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #22
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD, H20
"The market leader at present is the Sony ereader, which supports PDF, and when the Kindle is launched in the UK this autumn it will also support PDF format. These are the two biggest sellers worldwide and this has influenced our choice of format."

When they (U.K. libraries) state ..."when the Kindle is launched in the UK this autumn it will also support PDF format...." does this mean that only the DX will be available to purchase in the U.K., or that it is the only model of the two to read PDF natively? (which they neglect to mention)
Skydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
Quote:

Edit: Welcome to Mobileread, Elizabeth.
its got to do with equality legislation the gove. wants to make sure all sections of the population avail of services
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
[I]When they (U.K. libraries) state ..."when the Kindle is launched in the UK this autumn it will also support PDF format...." does this mean that only the DX will be available to purchase in the U.K., or that it is the only model of the two to read PDF natively? (which they neglect to mention)
The PDFs that libraries provide typically have Adobe DRM (encryption), so they won't be readable on any Kindle - not even the KDX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #25
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whin View Post

Elizabeth

cheers whin. i have also joined the essex library. it seems this one and the south dublin one allow online registration from outside the region, country so on. there is quite a few books to download
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #26
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
That list of libraries is extensive isn't it? Nine libraries, strike me pink!
(my sarcasm bone is getting a workout..)
I am more stocked that there was any UK library that was offering ebook's.
But a good start, now to email my own local library asking when or if they will start ebooks too.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #27
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
When they (U.K. libraries) state ..."when the Kindle is launched in the UK this autumn it will also support PDF format...." does this mean that only the DX will be available to purchase in the U.K., or that it is the only model of the two to read PDF natively? (which they neglect to mention)
Either they're wrong (likely) or it'd be the Kindle 3.0 (well...possible)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #28
reader22
Enthusiast
reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
We also wanted a format that would work for people with a visual impairment, as we work in partnership with Sight Concern, who help people who are blind or partially sighted to access services, so our ebooks are being promoted to their customers as an accessible library service.
Could be wrong but I thought all books that are drm'd have text to speech switched off by the publishers. So I can't see how buying them is going to help blind people. There was a big stink about this with the AG saying that text to speech was infringing their copyright and Amazon switching off the text to speech feature on the Kindle.
reader22 is offline   Reply With Quote