Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #31
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-650 Black (Lost!)/PRS-T1
Thank you Oliver!!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #32
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverh72 View Post
- The text is NOT as clear and crisp as the 505. Take a look at the 700 and it's really about that same.
- The glare. Yeah. It is much worse than on the 505. Basically, if you have a harsh light somewhere nearby and it is angled such, you will not be able to read anything on the screen. Now, this is really the case on the 505 as well - if the light is directly on the screen, you still need to shift the reader to continue reading. The difference is with the ambient light. With the 505, unless it is a harsh light, the ambient reflections aren't really noticeable - not so with the 600. It's pretty much like the 700... removing the backlight apparently isn't the issue - it's the touchscreen.
Wow! That's terrible news, just absolutely terrible... I guess, Sony engineers really don't listen to the public then, do they? What was the purpose of removing the front light if no screen improvement came out of it?

I guess, Sony really doesn't learn its lessons, does it?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #33
Wetdogeared
Grand Sorcerer
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
...What was the purpose of removing the front light if no screen improvement came out of it?...
I can only assume it was the only way to solve the dust spot problem, thus reducing the number of returns/repairs/replacements.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #34
oliverh72
oliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505r
Hi all,

Thanks very much for your responses. For those in Calgary that would like to see them, they are at the Sunridge mall location, though I suspect that all stores might have them - you have to ask. They are not out on display, but in a drawer at the till.

I think what I'm going to do is go back there this morning with my point and shoot camera (I have an SLR, but that's overkill ) and take some similar shots with it next to the 700, and the 505, showing the screen specifically. I'll also take some shots of the 300 for those interested. I hope the clarity of the screens will come out in the photos.

To reiterate - the screen on the 600 is NOT poor. It just simply is not as crisp as the 505. I'm pretty certain this is not due to intention on Sony's part, but simply due to the film they have to put over top of it for the touchscreen capabilities. So if you want a touchscreen, the clarity suffers - it's a tradeoff. I simply felt that after seeing the difference, the tradeoff isn't worth it for me. Some people might choose otherwise, because frankly, it's still really good. Just don't go look at it next to the 505. :P

Oliver
oliverh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I can only assume it was the only way to solve the dust spot problem, thus reducing the number of returns/repairs/replacements.
The very fact of a PRS-505 and PRS-700 sitting next to each other in the Borders Sony Reader kiosk reduced the number of returns/repair/replacements of the PRS-700. People didn't want to buy PRS-700, and the display quality was the issue! They were selling more last year's PRS-505's than PRS-700. All because of the contrast issues and glare. So, unless Sony wishes to market PRS-600 against PRS-300 with the assumption that people will buy more of the cheaper readers, which in addition to costing less have a better screen, I don't understand the point.

Perhaps I need to see the PRS-600 with my own eyes before making a decision. But if it's anywhere near the PRS-700, Sony's ebook reader business is in big trouble. Just my 2 cents.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
The problem with eink screens is that auto focus most times won't work with them. So make sure your camera has manual focus to get clear shots.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #37
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Oliver, from what you saw yesterday (and I'll check out Vancouver's Sony store this morning) which one would you recommend? 300, 600 or the 505 for someone buying new? Obviously you stuck with the 505 for a reason and I love mine. I want one for my husband and really don't know the best way to go. If I bought the 600, I'd keep it and give him my 505 but if it's no better, it's $100 cheaper to just buy another 505.

Tx
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #38
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; iPad air; Kindle PW2; Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
Oliver, from what you saw yesterday (and I'll check out Vancouver's Sony store this morning) which one would you recommend? 300, 600 or the 505 for someone buying new? Obviously you stuck with the 505 for a reason and I love mine. I want one for my husband and really don't know the best way to go. If I bought the 600, I'd keep it and give him my 505 but if it's no better, it's $100 cheaper to just buy another 505.

Tx
Shoechick--I haven't seen a 600 yet, but my husband has a 700 and I have a 505. I love the touchscreen interface on my husband's 700, but as we all know the screen quality isn't the best. It is usable though. I'm hopeful that the 600's screen quality is a little better than the 700--if so I'll be tempted to buy one. I'm going to wait until I can see one myself to judge. But, for me the convenience of a touch screen, ability to zoom, create annotations, and a built in dictionary would be worth a little loss of clarity.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #39
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks very much for your responses. For those in Calgary that would like to see them, they are at the Sunridge mall location, though I suspect that all stores might have them - you have to ask. They are not out on display, but in a drawer at the till.

I think what I'm going to do is go back there this morning with my point and shoot camera (I have an SLR, but that's overkill ) and take some similar shots with it next to the 700, and the 505, showing the screen specifically. I'll also take some shots of the 300 for those interested. I hope the clarity of the screens will come out in the photos.

To reiterate - the screen on the 600 is NOT poor. It just simply is not as crisp as the 505. I'm pretty certain this is not due to intention on Sony's part, but simply due to the film they have to put over top of it for the touchscreen capabilities. So if you want a touchscreen, the clarity suffers - it's a tradeoff. I simply felt that after seeing the difference, the tradeoff isn't worth it for me. Some people might choose otherwise, because frankly, it's still really good. Just don't go look at it next to the 505. :P

Oliver
That would rock man. Thanks for all the hard work .
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad 2|iPhone 4|Sony 600
Quote:
Karma coming your way. It's really great you've taken the time for this
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #41
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
hi all,

well, after reading Oliver's short preview I'm a bit bummed...
I'm hoping that there is some improvement from the 700. otherwise a 700 might be a better buy since you get light and a decent cover. esp if they come out with software upgrade for the dictionary and taking notes...

just when I was looking forward to my silver 600!! ( thanks to Ea.. )
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #42
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Thanks, Oliver. You've just saved me some money and made me pissed... I really wanted to like the 600, but if the screen is worse that the 505 it's a no go...
Ditto

oliverh72
Thanks.

Last edited by astra; 08-21-2009 at 02:37 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #43
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-650 Black (Lost!)/PRS-T1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
hi all,

well, after reading Oliver's short preview I'm a bit bummed...
I'm hoping that there is some improvement from the 700. otherwise a 700 might be a better buy since you get light and a decent cover. esp if they come out with software upgrade for the dictionary and taking notes...

just when I was looking forward to my silver 600!! ( thanks to Ea.. )
It will be my first reader ... I am still buying the 600... Silver with, if they have it, brown leather cover.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #44
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
It will be my first reader ... I am still buying the 600... Silver with, if they have it, brown leather cover.
it will be my first reader too. same color and also looking for the brown cover once borders have them on their site
still I was hoping that the screen would be closer to 505 than 700 as I saw the 505 screen and thought it was great.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #45
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Touch & iPad 2
Thanks for the info Oliver! I had a 505 which I recently sold and was debating between the 600 & the Cybook Opus. I don't really have a need for the more advanced features of the 600 but would like the idea of a touchscreen. I had a 700 for a brief time (returned it because of the glare) so I was hoping this would be a great improvement. Although in all fairness the pictures do look like its better than the 700. Its hard to say. But if I can see my reflection looking back at me while I read I will pass on it. Yesterday I had finally decided on the opus anyway do to its a bit cheaper & like the ability to have more font sizes. I find the font sizes on the SONY either to big or too small for the most part.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote