Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
gatorgirl2001
gatorgirl2001 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
gatorgirl, this was answered earlier in the thread. Overdrive won't allow PDFs and Epubs simultaneously on the same device.

As for your husband, remind him that with the Kindle you can't use library ebooks *at all*.

And there's lots more free content for the Sony as well, if that matters to y'all.
Thanks Khalleron, I know it was answered, I was wondering if there has been a fix. It seems so ridiculous and doesn't quite make sense.

How are they going to promote all of this library access (especially with the Daily Reader coming out) when so many have libraries offer PDFs and ePUBs?
gatorgirl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #17
gwynevans
Wizard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505 (retired), iPad2, iPhone 3GS & Nexus 7 3G
At a guess, maybe they're expecting the libraries to drop PDFs and switch to ePub completely?

It does seem odd that there is this issue though, but as my 'local' eBook library only does ePub & some Mobi, I've not followed it up to see any 'official' response from Adobe or Sony.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #18
mfusion
mfusion began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
Can you only access one DRM ePUB from library at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Remove all of the DRMed PDF and try just one ePub and see how you get on.
Indeed you are correct; this works for me- I have had similar problem with being unable to read more than one DRM on my device. If I load more than one, the other says "protected page".
Why is this; is ADE limiting us from having more than one DRM ePUB on our device?
mfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
At a guess, maybe they're expecting the libraries to drop PDFs and switch to ePub completely?

It does seem odd that there is this issue though, but as my 'local' eBook library only does ePub & some Mobi, I've not followed it up to see any 'official' response from Adobe or Sony.
There was an official response from Overdrive, actually. The problem is with Overdrive, not with Sony or ADE.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
ncaldwell
ncaldwell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
i'm new to ereaders and chose the sony prs-600 because of the flexibility to read multiple formats and compatibility with my local library system. as many on this thread have indicated, i was disappointed and frustrated when i began seeing the "protected page" error. at first i thought it was the epub / pdf drm issue...that being the two can't be on the same device at the same time without one format not functioning. pedgarcia above is on to something. i believe the problem is associated with syncing the device to two computers.

when i clear my prs-600 and download library content on one computer my device can read both drm protected epub and pdf documents. if i download just one similar file from the 2nd computer the prior files begin getting the "protected page" error. i'm authorized on both computers with the same ade id. very strange...has anyone discovered a fix for this issue?
ncaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #21
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Sony PRS-T1 Red
ncaldwell,

I think the fix is "Don't do that!"
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
gatorgirl2001
gatorgirl2001 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaldwell View Post
i'm new to ereaders and chose the sony prs-600 because of the flexibility to read multiple formats and compatibility with my local library system. as many on this thread have indicated, i was disappointed and frustrated when i began seeing the "protected page" error. at first i thought it was the epub / pdf drm issue...that being the two can't be on the same device at the same time without one format not functioning. pedgarcia above is on to something. i believe the problem is associated with syncing the device to two computers.

when i clear my prs-600 and download library content on one computer my device can read both drm protected epub and pdf documents. if i download just one similar file from the 2nd computer the prior files begin getting the "protected page" error. i'm authorized on both computers with the same ade id. very strange...has anyone discovered a fix for this issue?
I only used mine on only one computer, and still had the problem. It could not have PDF and epub on at the same time and have both files working. I actually returned my 505 because this became a huge deal. I'm hoping the nook will read library files.
gatorgirl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Sony PRS-T1 Red
gatorgirl,

Since this apparently a problem with Overdrive and not with the Sony, I doubt the nook will fix the problem.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #24
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Is this problem a universal one among the Sonys or does it only affect a fraction of them? After reading about this problem and experiencing it myself with my PRS700, I decide to experiment with my nre =ocketbook 360. I downloaded a pdf from the library to go with the previously checked ou epub and they both work. Have any non sony devices been affected?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #25
sweetnlov
sweetnlov began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 Touch
Have read through a number of answers here as I am receiving and protected page error on a library book I downloaded. I received my book for Christmas and have been reading both Epub and Adobe files with no problem. Downloaded two library books tonite and for some reason I am receiving the error on one of the books. Why would I receive this error now after a month of no challenges?
sweetnlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #26
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The problem is with LIBRARY books that are DRMd with time expiry code... there is no problem with having a mix of ePub and PDF files on the eReader other than with library books... in fact you can happily have either PDF or ePub library books on with both ePub & PDF non-library books... it's just the library ones that screw up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlov View Post
Have read through a number of answers here as I am receiving and protected page error on a library book I downloaded. I received my book for Christmas and have been reading both Epub and Adobe files with no problem. Downloaded two library books tonite and for some reason I am receiving the error on one of the books. Why would I receive this error now after a month of no challenges?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
sweetnlov
sweetnlov began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 Touch
Thanks for the response elcreative. I wanted to purchase a few books but didn't want to if I couldn't read them due to the format. Guess I will have to finish the current library book, delete it from the reader and then read the library book that is currently protected.
sweetnlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
elcreative, the problems goes deeper than just Library books. I've just downloaded three books direct from Sony Store, purchases, not loans. They too, raise the dreaded Protected Page error.

So from this I gather the problem is more an ePUB and PDF conflict. I haven't fixed mine yet, but I'm in the research process for a good solution.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #29
ejm
Enthusiast
ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook & PRS-600
To clarify: Overdrive certainly DOES allow both EPUB and PDF library books to happily co-exist on the same reader. This is a SONY problem - and only a SONY problem.

I bought my wife a PRS-600 to read library books. She is frustrated exactly 50% of the time (EPUB or PDF, take you pick).

We also have a B&N nook in the house. Same library, same Overdrive, same EPUB & PDF DRM'ed books. But on the nook, there's no problem reading them side-by-side whatsoever.

To be helpful to others looking to better understand this "Protected Page" error issue, let's be clear. It's a SONY-exclusive bug - and they seem to have no interest whatsoever in properly acknowledging and actually fixing it. Tough luck on us.
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote