Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Apple working on device abuse technology

Here I thought that all I had to worry about was my electronic book device writing a tell all story about how I abused it in it's youth. Now I have to worry about my iPhone taking a picture of me after I leave it alone in the cold.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...echnology.html
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They do already have moisture detection in some of their products to void the warranty when this happens...

If they use this technology I think they should be including event notification to the end user that it's detected abuse and voided the warranty.
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm torn on this: on the one hand, I've worked warranty exchange for cell phones and I've seen some of the things that people can try to get away with. I remember the one guy who wanted to "exchange" the phone he dropped in the lake: even though it was still at the bottom of the lake.

On the gripping hand, I'm not sure about some of the other aspects. It just seems a little too Big Brother for me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard

I agree. I've seen a lot of abuse with warranty claims but I'm not thrilled with this.

I've received products that I'm sure have sat in a Fedex truck overnight in -20C weather. How do I know it wasn't that triggering the abuse sensor. If they implement this I wouldn't accept it to be hidden until I try to make a claim. The temperature range might be set to -20C to 45C but the component that failed might be rated at -60C to 100C. I would want to see stats on how many products had the abuse flagged but the product never failed.

I think there is a lot of opportunity for Apple to abuse the abuse sensor.