Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Neru
Neru began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox afterglow 2
Question Question about connecting e-ink display

Hello,

I've got a question about connecting e-ink display to tablet, laptop, or something that would be possible to connect e-ink display.

1 Lets pretend that I successfully do that- connect e-ink display to laptop with good processor and specifications, so the question would be- would it be possible for it to run a lot of fps (lets say at least 20) because of good processor or it would be limited at certain amount because of screen itself?.
2 Would high frame frefresh rate affect e-ink screen somehow? I've seen posts at forums people talking about it but havent found answer for this certain matter.
If someone tried something like this it would be intresting to read!
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
Here's a post with 3 URLs where using eInk as a monitor is displayed in a youtube video. Maybe that'll help?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Neru

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Here's a post with 3 URLs where using eInk as a monitor is displayed in a youtube video. Maybe that'll help?
Thanks for link, it was intresting, but I'm thinking of connecting e ink display directly to something (also not connecting it via usb or something as dasung paperlike monitor) that has good processor and ect. (lets say high-end laptop) so it could play more fps (I know that there are limits to e-ink screens, also question is how long would it last). The problem is that there are not many posts about this (or I'm just bad at search?)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
How are you going to connect it directly?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Neru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How are you going to connect it directly?
I did not knew right word so i used 'directly' so it would not mean using e ink as secondary display.
It would be exatly the same way as replacing lcd screen of device but instead I would put e-ink screen ( and then there are problem to find device with same connections as e-ink display has). But for now its just weird idea.

Last edited by Neru; 08-27-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru View Post
I did not knew right word so i used 'directly' so it would not mean using e ink as secondary display.
It would be exatly the same way as replacing lcd screen of device but instead I would put e-ink screen ( and then there are problem to find device with same connections as e-ink display has). But for now its just weird idea.
You did state it correctly.
So you are planning to take off an LCD screen and replace with an e-ink.
I think it would be easier to just make it a secondary.
Now if you use a windows computer you can turn off the primary monitor.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Neru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You did state it correctly.
So you are planning to take off an LCD screen and replace with an e-ink.
I think it would be easier to just make it a secondary.
Now if you use a windows computer you can turn off the primary monitor.
Sorry for late response. I was thinking of replacing it but not using as secondary screen so it would be laptop/tablet(whatever it would be conncected to) powered and would use it's recourses for faster refresh speed and battery life. If refresh rate would be fast enough to play videos then it could be used always with charger plugged in (As some people does it with their laptops just without batteries).