Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950 350s T2 Glo Mini H2O
Who else hates to cook?

A flurry of recent posts in the So what are you doing RIGHT NOW? thread has me wondering. Am I the only one?

I really can't stand how dinner always seems to be rolling around, again. If it were just me, I have three go-to dinners: wine and cheese, wine and nuts, wine and olives. Unfortunately, I also have to provide fodder for someone else, some of the time. All I can say is, we eat a lot of rotisserie chicken.

In my defense, I'll say that I'm not a picky eater and will happily eat whatever someone else is willing to put in front of me. I'm also a willing hand when it comes to clean up. I'd just much rather not have to produce the meal.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not me. Though I don't do much of it anymore I love being able to make something from scratch.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Phone, Fire 10", PW3
I never learned how beyond basic. My son does the coking now as standing to reach stove or counter is painfully impossible. Microwave has become a much needed appliance not just a Convenience.
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, 2 Kindle Fire HDs, Nexus 7, 3 Phablets
Me! Even though I'm a decent cook as I've gotten older I just really don't enjoy cooking. We mainly eat oven type foods.

I love to bake during the holidays though but my current stove is just so old and cooks everything uneven.

My hubby comes from a mother who cooks everything from scratch and is constantly cooking. He had to learn I'm not going to do that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600, Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x2)
Sorry. I enjoy cooking. I make Sunday lunch most weeks and look forward to the time in the kitchen listening to the radio with a glass of wine while I chop/boil/carve etc..
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
Wearever
Addict
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle HDX 7, 8.9, Kindle PW3, Ipad mini 2. Air.
I tend to take the easiest and safest, ( for me ) way to cook, I do a lot of steaming, most people think I'm just being health conscious though, so I can get away with it .
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
I have become one with the microwave ... and my 'table top' grill ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
I usually get all the ingredients I need for cooking at McDonald's or Col. Sanders'.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
At Katie & Issybird I have either two words or one hyphenated word.
Slow Cooker.
Issybird, is it the cooking or the planning?
I like to cook but I couldn't do it without my helpers.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZJ3JO0...ing=UTF8&psc=1
That thing will chop anything and is faster than an electric one. It is also easy to clean.
They also have a mixer.
https://www.amazon.com/Weston-Multi-...s=manual+mixer. Though I got my mixer at the mall for half the price.
Other helpers include a bread machine, a kitchenaid stand mixer and my steamers.

Though in all honesty the best thing that helps with cooking is having a well stocked kitchen.
I know that is not always possible.

If I had to start now,
I would recommend that first food chopper, a decent set of pans, cheap set of whisks, this set of measuring cups : https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pro...asuring+spoons, a 4 cup glass measuring cup, and a cheap set with a spatula, spoon, slotted spoon, potato masher and a ladle.
If I had to also some stainless steel mixing bowls.
https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Home-12-...n%3A2242056011 Here is a good set of pans.
Basic kitchen gadgets:
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cl...words=Utensils

There you go.

Next post will be on food.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now I know this is not always possible but if you can have at least 2 weeks of food.
If you like chicken, stock up on chicken.
On canned and boxed goods, buy only things you like.

What I usually do is figure out what meat I want to cook that night and pull it out of the freezer.

Best two websites are allrecipes.com and food.com.

It helps if you have a variety.

Note: I do not drive so keeping a stocked kitchen is a must.
Well it was for years when we lived 10 miles from the nearest grocery store.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now I know this is not always possible but if you can have at least 2 weeks of food.
If you like chicken, stock up on chicken.
On canned and boxed goods, buy only things you like.

What I usually do is figure out what meat I want to cook that night and pull it out of the freezer.

Best two websites are allrecipes.com and food.com.

It helps if you have a variety.

Note: I do not drive so keeping a stocked kitchen is a must.
Well it was for years when we lived 10 miles from the nearest grocery store.
Memo to self: refuse ALL dinner invitations ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
If you do all your grocery shopping at Ruby Tuesday's you can avoid all that paraphernalia.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ugh. Way too much work Cindy. No thank you.

Two words: Frozen Foods.

Tonight though I'm making Ballpark Franks and fries. The fries are frozen. Don't worry Pooh they are beef franks.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

We had homemade french fries with chili (canned no beans) and cheese.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
We had homemade french fries with chili (canned no beans) and cheese.
We love canned chilli. Last year I bought every brand I could find looking for the best canned. I gained 15 pounds from all of that. Amour won the canned off. We love beans in our chili though.

I put it over fries too but mine are frozen fries.