Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
Free on oprah.com - Heroic Meaures

Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment is available for free download on oprah.com until July 22, 10:59 AM EST. Requires registration. Format is PDF.

Book description here: http://www.amazon.com/Heroic-Measure...dp/0375425225/

Last edited by Thrasymachus; 07-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Thanks for posting ! Looks like a nice read...now lets see if I can manage to download this and get it onto my reader :-D
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
This book looks great, thanks for the tip!
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Spankypoo
Enthusiast
Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Myriad
For the registration impaired.
Spankypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Is there any reason why viewing this PDF would be different from another ? I do recall downloading something months ago but having trouble reading it on the reader-although I could see it there.
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankypoo View Post
Thanks for that!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment is available for free download on oprah.com until July 22, 10:59 AM EST. Requires registration. Format is PDF.

Book description here: http://www.amazon.com/Heroic-Measure...dp/0375425225/
Good find!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Thanks for sharing!!

I managed to get this on my reader. (Obviously) I downloaded it with Adobe Reader, then in the top left it should say "Save A Copy", and then I saved it to the folder where all my other ebooks are saved. Then, I went to ADE and added the file to my library. It does have a funky title: Cime_9780375425226_2p_all_r2.qxp I don't know what all that means, but I was able to see it and flipped through quite a few pages to make sure.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Thanks for sharing!!

I managed to get this on my reader. (Obviously) I downloaded it with Adobe Reader, then in the top left it should say "Save A Copy", and then I saved it to the folder where all my other ebooks are saved. Then, I went to ADE and added the file to my library. It does have a funky title: Cime_9780375425226_2p_all_r2.qxp I don't know what all that means, but I was able to see it and flipped through quite a few pages to make sure.
Damnit-I forgot the ADE ! I have been working on a netbook while my laptop is out being repaired...d'oh.Let me see if I can manage to get ADE working with this...although eLibrary seems to disagree with it.....
Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
This also ends up with a long tag inserted every couple of paragraphs, after converting to epub or mobi. Looks like about an hour of cleanup (search/replace doesn't find them all due to line breaks and various numbers added after the main info, plus date/time changes on them as you go thru the book).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
It does have a funky title: Cime_9780375425226_2p_all_r2.qxp I don't know what all that means, but I was able to see it and flipped through quite a few pages to make sure.
Cime - First four letters of author's last name
978...226 - ISBN
2p - likely means 2-up (verso/recto pages)
all - likely means fully compiled book (as opposed to chapters or sections)
r2 - likely revision 2
qxp - Quark XPress file

This is the source file that the PDF was distilled from.

Oh, and thanks OP. I'll see if it's something I'll want to read. Oprah does pick some pretty good books from time to time.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Thanks! This book seems interesting.

I don't have ADE and directly saved the PDF on my computer instead of opening it in a Adobe's browser plugin. It was saved as a regular PDF that convert flawlessly to others formats.
BTW here is the direct link to the book :
http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazi...ook-download-1
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Thanks! This book seems interesting.

I don't have ADE and directly saved the PDF on my computer instead of opening it in a Adobe's browser plugin. It was saved as a regular PDF that convert flawlessly to others formats.
BTW here is the direct link to the book :
http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazi...ook-download-1
How did you convert it? I used calibre, and both LRF and MOBI added the file info to each page, as described by several posters earlier.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Oprah says the Kindle is her new favorite toy. So she pushes it on her show. Now we know that is total BS as she's giving away PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
Is there any reason why viewing this PDF would be different from another ? I do recall downloading something months ago but having trouble reading it on the reader-although I could see it there.
You can copy this directly into any reader (like the Sony or Hanlin) that supports PDF. It's not necessary to convert it, and there are no DRM issues to deal with, but the type will be very small, and the margins very wide, without conversion. Landscape mode or zoom might make it more readable, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. And there are issues with conversion, as with any other PDF file.

And to everyone else -- you're welcome, and I'm glad I could contribute to the forum. I have my wife to thank for telling me about this; she's an Oprah fan, unlike me. But this does look like a good book.