Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Coming Soon: $399 tablet for education

When it comes to putting computers in the classroom as a tool for learning, literacy, and replacing textbooks, schools have a number of options including desktops, laptops, PDAs, AlphaSmart devices, and $1,600 tablet computers, which are often cost prohibitive in times of tight budgets. Fourier Systems will be releasing a more affordable option soon - a tablet running Windows CE.NET 5.0 targeted at the classroom. It isn't the $100 laptop that Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts wants to buy for the state's 500,000 students, but it's more affordable than many of the other options currently available.

The ruggedized $399 Nova5000 tablet is being touted as a "Next Generation Student Learning Appliance" that offers a 7.5 inch 640X480 color touch screen in a 9.7”x 5”x 1.2” package weighing 1.8 pounds.

Nova5000 is designed to meet the primary computing needs of students. This includes standard needs such as: Internet access, word processing, spreadsheets, and email. In addition, the Nova5000 offers a complete measuring platform to enhance learning of science and mathematics in the classroom, outdoors and at home. Nova5000 combines the MultiLab multimedia data analysis software that includes graphical manipulations, multiple analysis functions and Lab report direct printing capabilities. By integrating the Fourier data logger into the Nova5000, Fourier offers both an ultra-low TCO computer and a powerful data logger.

Bundled software includes CE.NET versions of Internet Explorer, WordPad, Windows Media Player, ActiveSync, MultiLab. Microsoft Word and Excel compatible software is available as an option. Several sensors are available that work with the MultiLab data logging software, making the Nova5000 a powerful tool for science and math projects in the classroom and in the field. Add a good e-book reading application and the Nova5000 would make a great e-book reading device.

Related: Experiment how Tablet PC could replace school textbooks

[via TeleRead]
Old 10-13-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There's a lot to like about the specs for this box, especially the price tag. The only complaint I would have is the screen display. 800x600 would be the minimum I'd want to see. The article also doesn't mention color depth. Come to think of it, it also doesn't mention how much internal memory this thing has. Finally, I see no indication that you can switch it's orientation to portrait view - which works better for reading ebooks to me.

Still, I've paid more than they're asking for Fujitsu PenCentras.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Too bad it runs Windows CE and not some light-weight Linux variant instead. I had the chance to play with various Windows CE devices in the past, but I've never been a great fan of them.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am more optimistic about this one. After all, it got a decent display big enough to type texts with, and it also supports access to the Net. $399 doesn't sound too bad either.