Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
glennWilliams
glennWilliams began at the beginning.

Device: none
Start Conversation: - Anthologies, Collections & Editors

Start Conversation: - Anthologies, Collections & Editors

Firstly if there is another thread here somewhere discussing this topic please let me know and I'll go have a read through.

I'd like to start a conversation here regarding users thoughts on ways we could implement the requirements of metadata for Anthologies and multi-author works. I was going to just jump in and start coding but think I'd rather talk this through first and see if some kind of consensus can be reached

Note: More than just having the multi-authors listed and ampersand separated.

I am looking for thoughts regarding the following:
  • A method of flagging the Author as an Editor
  • A way of having multiple authors and the title of each work within the volume credited to each author.
  • Also be able to use the system with single author collections (short story collection/ essays etc) within a single volume.

I’m not going to say much else now, I’d like to hear if there is an interest out there for this sort of thing. For example, being able to list all of an author's works, including the titles of short works contained inside anthologies or collections, being able to find the title of a book from a search of its containing works.

So, let me know your thoughts.
glennWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT,Galaxy Tab 2
Melinda M. Snodgrass (ed) & George R. R. Martin (ed)

Author sort ignores the () stuff
I also use (trans) for the translator

I use the editor(s) in {Authors}, and have a custom Authors type, field for (when) the contributing Authors
My old device only used file names on its bookshelf: {author_sort}-{title}
that kept the path name short(ish)

If you want a entry Per
EPUB Split the book
Add a tag: From <title of collection edited by...>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I agree with theducks, best way to handle anthologies/omnibus editions is to split them up rather than trying to somehow shoehorn the concept of a book that is actually multiple books into calibre.

As for tagging the role a person plays in the book creation process. That is IMO a level of detail too far for core calibre. You can simply add that info in freeform to the comments field, or if you really want to manage it in a column, then create custom columns for the common types, such as editor, illustrator, translator, etc. And simply enter the names in those columns.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To whoever moved this thread from the Development Forum, the OP seems to be suggesting he is prepared to write the code -

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennWilliams View Post
.... I was going to just jump in and start coding but think I'd rather talk this through first and see if some kind of consensus can be reached
@glennWilliams - I recently began experimenting with One Note to maintain many-to-many relationships via MARC relator codes between Works (books, movies, transcripts etc) and Persons (Authors, Editors, Translators, etc).

For me, the killer feature of the approach is that I have carte blanche control over the Note content using ONs 'library' of note elements - check lists, pictures, drawings, web links etc. etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Sami
Sami began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Sony 350
My input here as an ocd series order romance reader, who normally splits most multi-books into individuals, for you guessed it series order.
1: a permanent column hidden by default for editor, would come right after author (if possible? linked to the Editor field for metadata download)
2: I do the reverse of this now, each split book utilizes a custom column "Secondary Title" to hold the anthology title, this could work for editor as well, but I could see a similar to 1 feature for this as well although I believe metadata integration would be impossible
3: single author collections as part of series get split and treated like 2, not part of a series get the tag collection so I know it's not a single book
Goodreads has also taken to splitting anthologies into single books as so many at least romance writers re-release as individuals now with full metadata, covers and the previously released disclaimer in the comments.
I agree keeping them whole and trying to fit all that various metadata into Calibre would be beyond it's scope, especially when you consider the abysmal web based metadata for download when it comes to most multi-author works, you'd never get all the fields filled properly except by hand and thats the beauty of custom columns.
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
Krazykiwi
Connoisseur
Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Krazykiwi writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Dismissing this out of hand is a little unfair. Omnibus editions, certainly. But good anthologies are often carefully curated and themed and designed to be read together as a whole.

This situation often applies to non-fiction. Tertiary level textbooks and academic publications for instance, will often have an editor (or ten) and multiple contributors who provided specific chapters related to their expertise. These are very often pdf's too, if you can get them electronically, which even if you did want to split them up, isn't necessarily as convenient to do as epubs. For a start, a great many textbooks are DRM'ed, which opens that whole can of worms. For a second, they often are heavily cross-referenced between chapters, which again is exceedingly inconvenient if you split it up into 8 bits just because there are 8 chapters.

This is not shoehorning a concept of books onto things that are not meant to be books. They most certainly are books, and splitting them into pieces would lose some of that context, as the pieces relate to each other.

Like the OP, I would be pretty happy to have a plugin that helped manage multi-author and/or edited books in a sensible manner.

In the meantime, I simply put the editor names first in the author list so they are sorted there, so I can at least find them, and add all the other contributors as authors after the editors. I suspect there's a better way.

(Offtopic, but post #5 is incorrect. GR does not split anthologies unless the author republishes parts of them separately. Short stories that have never been published separately are routinely merged back into the anthologies they came from and removed from the database. This is not "splitting up anthologies" but simply recording what's actually been published.)
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For a textbook/reference book that has multiple authors, I certainly dont recommend splitting it up (as a matter of fact I am a co-author of one such book on Quantum Computing, and I would certainly not want people to split up the book). But what's the problem with just listing all the authors in the authors field, in order of significance? And adding a note in the comments field (or a dedicated custom column you create) about any special role any of the authors might have had?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
glennWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For a textbook/reference book that has multiple authors, I certainly dont recommend splitting it up (as a matter of fact I am a co-author of one such book on Quantum Computing, and I would certainly not want people to split up the book). But what's the problem with just listing all the authors in the authors field, in order of significance? And adding a note in the comments field (or a dedicated custom column you create) about any special role any of the authors might have had?
i read a paper of your ages ago if im right. exciting work you are doing. we are at the start of something incredible. I just wish I had more than a single lifetime to witness it all.

i'll get back to the subject with a post a in a couple of hours once ive finished work.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #9
glennWilliams

just as a quick note: my interest in writing an extension is to handle short stories. single author collections, anthologies etc

its about the handling of a books contents, which is absolutely outside the core app.

Im looking at a plug-in that will allow author and title and maybe more for each work contained within a 'Titled' collection. omnibus editions, I suppose so, I hadn't actually thought of that.

my interest is in fiction, short works. I wasn't thinking of non-fiction, books, or papers with multi authors. Its really for books with multiple self-titled works that are collected together by a editor or a single author collection. i'd like to be able to list abnd sort an authors smaller works and find them inside anthologies etc

i'll be back and post shortly.

im just interested if anyone else would use something like this