Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
When laying out the pages of a book, some designers will use a blank line (and no indent on the following paragraph) if the section break is in the middle of a page, and only use asterisks (or other indicator) if the section break occurs between pages (where a blank line wouldn't be nearly as noticable).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
What I like is no indent at chapter start and section breaks. That way even if the section break is at the end of the screen page then it's a lot more obvious based on the no indent.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just took a look at the second Honor Harrington book The Honor of the Queen. I have found different errors this time. Instead of line spaces for section separators like the book uses, they use centered * * * which is fine with me. But I found a few of them were not centered. What doe sit take for someone to run through a book and look for anything that looks out of place?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #19
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
I've been playing with webscription.net and the free library since about 2002, if memory serves. I think that 'On Basilisk Station' was the first book I read in their free library. The number of formats they've supported since has expanded past the initial two or three, but in the process it seems like they've left a legacy behind in all the various editions. Hopefully one of these days they'll task a staffer to go through all their currently published ebooks, pick a modern base format, conversion tools, formatting methodology, and metadata standard, and then homogenize and rebuild their library based on those.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll do it. I'd love to get paid for check the formatting of eBooks. I mean, all I've done is check the section breaks vs. the paperback and I found the errors easily. I don't see why that should be a problem.