Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Knew this thread would attract Griffonwing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
It's SO sad when a pirate goes legit. (lowers the Jolly Roger to half mast)
Anything that mentions "pirate" gets Griffonwing interested.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
RIP Pirate Bay.

Oh and, RIH TPB Sellouts.
It will be interesting to see what happens. All the money will go to a fund that will finance political and other work. They want to decentralize things. That pirate bay has been so big is a problem since it is an incentive for other people not to start new things.

The buyers reputation was not so good so we also have to see if they get any money at all to the fund.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Answering my own question, the anonymous Japanese p2P application is called 'Perfect Dark' a successor to both Winny and Share. Looks very interesting too, they're in an open beta testing phase.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #19
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
RIP Pirate Bay.

Oh and, RIH TPB Sellouts.
Amen. Well I guess we can't really blame them, they did put their asses on the line a few times and fought them in court. But eventually the owners of the pirate bay had to admit that eventually corporations would win.

I have no problem with copyright laws up to a point. The problem is the fact that corporations have extended copyright to such an extent that it's not good for the distribution of knowledge and doesn't keep up with the available technologies. The petitioned for longer and more restrictive copyright laws and the courts gave it to them. The pirate bay was one of the few to say no, we don't accept those laws and will fight you.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #20
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Amen. Well I guess we can't really blame them, they did put their asses on the line a few times and fought them in court. But eventually the owners of the pirate bay had to admit that eventually corporations would win.

I have no problem with copyright laws up to a point. The problem is the fact that corporations have extended copyright to such an extent that it's not good for the distribution of knowledge and doesn't keep up with the available technologies. The petitioned for longer and more restrictive copyright laws and the courts gave it to them. The pirate bay was one of the few to say no, we don't accept those laws and will fight you.
Exactly. The fight was long and hard and...lost. Such a sad day for internet freedom of speech.

Oh, and by the by, if I haven't mentioned it before, is your username taken from the most excellent band Fugazi? If so, there will be Karma coming your way
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let me get this straight:

1) Quit my teaching job.
2) Quit living in MobileRead and posting godzillions of posts and have no social, healthy outlet with people.
3) Start an illegal business.
4) Let a cheesy lawyer represent me.
5) Lose the lawsuit.
6) Sell the business for a lot of money.
7) Buy an ebook Reader with my new fortune.
8) Get back with MobileRead and post godzillions of posts and have no social, healthy outlet with people.

Wow! This sounds like the American Dream.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Let me get this straight:

1) Quit my teaching job.
2) Quit living in MobileRead and posting godzillions of posts and have no social, healthy outlet with people.
3) Start an illegal business.
4) Let a cheesy lawyer represent me.
5) Lose the lawsuit.
6) Sell the business for a lot of money.
7) Buy an ebook Reader with my new fortune.
8) Get back with MobileRead and post godzillions of posts and have no social, healthy outlet with people.

Wow! This sounds like the American Dream.

Don
Sounds like a very good business plan to me Now, if only I'd thought of it around about 6 years ago
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
You do not need to look at it that way. They still think they will win the court case.

As I understood it the reason was that they thought pirate bay had stagnated and that the fact that it was so big had a bad effect on the will of other people to start new similar services. So it will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe this decision was a good decision that will steer the development in the right way. And do not forget that the money will not go to any persons but to a fund that will finances different projects.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
But will they dump the titles off the servers? Or just add a shopping cart to the existing website? How long will it take to track down the copyright status of these titles and whom to send the cash to?

What they plan to do is host files provided by copyright holders (eg bands), and then pay them according to the number of downloads. For more information, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8128551.stm
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What they plan to do is host files provided by copyright holders (eg bands), and then pay them according to the number of downloads. For more information, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8128551.stm
Thanks for the link, although I'm afraid this company is already onto a loser (if they even manage to get the asking price together in the next 4 weeks)

The problem is without the users they can't generate this paid content, or have anybody willing to download the same content. I've been hovering over on the Piratebay irc channels and the suprbay forums and the backlash over this is absolutely vicious. Mass deletion of user accounts on the TPB, threats, calls of 'traitor'. This is too much like the Suprnova incident of a few years back and that soured a lot of file sharers.

I really can't see anything good coming from this.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
They're not admitting defeat on the court battle. They are still appealing, last I heard.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #27
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-sol...s-legal-090630/
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-clo...orrents-090630/
http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bays-peter-...-future-090630/

Man, this is the worst news I've read all month. The Pirate Bay selling out... I guess there are no heroes left in this world. This is a sad day for pirates everywhere. Not for the loss of their website; there are much better torrent sites out there. But the ideas that they represented for many in their struggle against current copyright laws have been betrayed.

The Pirate Bay is dead... long live piracy!
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Update on Pirate Bay sale, new article on CNet.

Music industry wants cut of Pirate Bay sale

Quote:
What remains to be seen is how that sale might be affected by attempts by the music industry to collect the $3.6 million damages that a court in Sweden awarded it in April.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hardly a surprise. I don't know how things work in Sweden, but in the UK a court has the power to seize the assets of a criminal to pay fines. Funnily enough, when the sale was announced I was going to ask if it would not be the case that the money would be seized by the court in order to pay the awarded damages.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
The final nail on The Pirate Bay coffin; it will now become a pay site with a monthly fee.

http://torrentfreak.com/new-pirate-b...y-site-090716/

As somebody on Digg commented, they should change their name to "The Royal Navy Harbor."

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 07-20-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote