Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
brihs11
brihs11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
New to Eboook Readers

I've been looking into ebook readers for a couple days now but I'm completely confused at which one to get. I'm looking for text-to-speech(headphone jack) and pc connection capabilities, epub support as well as mobi, and a mp3 player. I've been considering a Kobo but they don't seem to have any headphone jacks.
brihs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
- Must it be e-ink?
- Screen size and lighting?
- Is there a particular reason you need both epub and mobi support? They convert very readily from one to the other.
- Budget?
- What country do you live in?

If all of your criteria are must-haves and you decline workarounds, you won't meet them in any of the mainstream (Kindle/Kobo/possibly-Nook-if-you're-in-the-USA) e-ink readers. You'll need a tablet/phablet/phone, or perhaps consider one of the e-ink readers that runs Android. How good the TTS is on them you'll need to research.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Anthem
Fanatic
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (7th gen.), iPad Mini 2, Fire HDX 7"
Sounds like you want a tablet rather than an e-ink device.

An iPad or an Android device with Play store would meet your requirements.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihs11 View Post
I've been looking into ebook readers for a couple days now but I'm completely confused at which one to get. I'm looking for text-to-speech(headphone jack) and pc connection capabilities, epub support as well as mobi, and a mp3 player. I've been considering a Kobo but they don't seem to have any headphone jacks.
Older devices were better in this respect. As the prices on E Ink readers dropped the manufacturer's took out the audio features which used to be almost universally supported. A few manufacture's still have these features but the main brands have dropped them although there is hope that Amazon will reinstate these features since it is attempting to integrate Audible (which is owns) with eBooks. PocketBook is a brand that usually has this. Tablets, of course, do support this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
brihs11
brihs11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I prefer it to be eink, the back lights in tablets tend to strain my eyes during extended reading sessions. The screen doesn't have to be big,. Mp3 support is not required, thinking about it I could just use my phone for that. If I had to chose between epub and mobi I would go with epub, but conversions tend to include the page numbers and whatever that small piece of text on the top and bottom of a page is. Text-to-Speech programs narrate those parts as well. My budget is $400 and I live in the USA. Thank you for helping me. I'll check out pocketbook after work.
brihs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW/iPad2/5S/Tab3 Past:NewtonOMP>N120> Palm3>3c> iPAQ3850>Droid>K3>DX
Quote:
but conversions tend to include the page numbers and whatever that small piece of text on the top and bottom of a page is.
The metadata (data about data, in this case title, page numbers, etc) is not converted inline when converting between epub and mobi. It remains metadata, for the reader to display however its design calls for it being displayed.

When you've seen that it's usually caused by a very poor OCR job that didn't crop the pages or a conversion from PDF. Speaking of PDF... most readers have only very limited PDF capability and the 6" screen size doesn't work well with most PDF files as PDF is a layout description, designed for a fixed size, generally the size of paper.

When I first started my ereader search four years ago I tended to think of it more like a general purpose device, like you seem to be doing. As time went on I realized the real value was a very focused single purpose device that does that job very well. For that reason I no longer care about the audio features (which I never used when I had them on older readers) and don't miss them at all.

If you're primarily reading long-form text I think you'll be equally happy with any of the mainstream readers, especially those from either Kobo or Amazon.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
If you have a smartphone, consider carefully what twowheels says about focused devices, and consider using your smartphone for a TTS app as well as for mp3, and then choose your ereader based on other non-audio features. That is, unless you absolutely need the TTS and the eink reading in the same device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
It sounds like the Boyue T62 would suit your needs after rooting. Instructions for rooting are in the Android forum. Take a look around there and see if what you see there is doable and would suit you.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Jmirko
Mostly a scribbler
Jmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad & DR's, Hanvon N800, Wexler FlexOne
Quote:
Someone has already suggested Pocketbook.
I would also look into Onyx Boox, specifically the AfterGlow 2. Here is a link, including a comparison table to the Kindle Paperwhite.
https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...le-play-store/
They do ship to the U.S. but it's expensive (see under "Support").
Strangely, the U.S. site (onyxboox.com) does not list this model, only the M96. If you like this device, it may be worth an email to ask if they could import it for you, to save on the shipping.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote