Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
kakolirisn
kakolirisn began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
Yes it seems good but what pdf viewer i will have with a device like this. Would be suitable for annotations. The only viewer that i know for annotations is the foxit reader. In q7 how i make annotations in pdf?
kakolirisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheeseDDHarriman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

For devices with windows xp tablet, windows vista or windows 7 - tabletpcs and umpcs -, you have several solutions that let one use the pen for annotation, here you have some examples:

1 - Pdf Annotator - http://ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator/
2 - BlueBeam Revu - http://www.bluebeam.com
3 - Autoink pdf annotation plug-in - http://www.evermap.com/autoink.asp

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #18
jj2me
Fanatic
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, Paperwhite 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

For devices with windows xp tablet, windows vista or windows 7 - tabletpcs and umpcs -, you have several solutions that let one use the pen for annotation, here you have some examples:

1 - Pdf Annotator - http://ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator/
2 - BlueBeam Revu - http://www.bluebeam.com
3 - Autoink pdf annotation plug-in - http://www.evermap.com/autoink.asp

Best regards,
This post makes me want to clarify what was unspoken in my previous advice: that if you're going UMPC, i.e., Windows, then we're now in the realm where we'd prefer inking. That is, you'd prefer to annotate using natural handwriting and scribbles, like #1 and #3 in the above list of recommendations. Those inking products make use of the inking capabilities found in XP Tablet, Vista (except Home), and Windows 7.

If you're not going the UMPC/Windows route, and instead are going e-ink like the Kindle DX, then your expectations are lowered, and typewritten annotation is good enough.

Here's another option to add to DDHarriman's list:
4 - The new Evernote/Foxit annotation app.
This also will likely require XP Tablet, Vista, or Windows 7. Evernote in the past have made stand-alone programs (old Evernote and old RitePen) that worked with XP Pro, an OS that has no Tablet functions. But recently they've put that behind them and are requiring a Windows version with tablet functionality.
jj2me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #19
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakolirisn View Post
Yes it seems good but what pdf viewer i will have with a device like this. Would be suitable for annotations. The only viewer that i know for annotations is the foxit reader. In q7 how i make annotations in pdf?
FBreader is included I believe http://www.fbreader.org/about.php. My device (Q7) is due delivery to me today Fri 26 June UK time so I cannot test it just yet but maybe over the week-end.

EDIT: FBreader is for ebooks not pdf's. xournal will let you markup pdfs (courtesy of jrj)

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 06-27-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Factual error
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
kakolirisn
kakolirisn began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
Thank you. I am waiting in order to tell me if is included. Also if there is office inside like openoffice or something else.
kakolirisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Hi,
I've got the Samsung Q1, which has the 7' display.
It's possbile to read PDfs, but it's no fun at all.
In Landscape view, you have to scroll way too intensively.
In Portrait view, 1024 x 600 simply isn't sufficient.

"realize that your pc reader probably has more options for displaying and zooming the pdf". This I don't quite understand.
An UMPC is a standard (Windows) PC, ypu easily can install Acrobat or whatever you want.
Performance isn't great, my Samsung Q1 for example is a 1.3 GHz unit.
But performance, even for huge PDFs (> 100MB) usually won't be the problem.
It's really all about display size...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote