Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How many unread ebooks do you own?
1-10 21 38.89%
10-25 4 7.41%
25-50 7 12.96%
50-100 2 3.70%
> 100 15 27.78%
It's not my fault. I'm obsessive/compulsive. 11 20.37%
It's not my fault. I'm excessive/compulsive. 13 24.07%
I'm too scared to count them and find out! 8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I polled in at 1-10 as you specified without freebies. With freebies, the count is over 100.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have quite a few unread freebies but the only books I haven't read that I've purchased are the two I'm reading right now. The only time I've bought books without sampling first is when I was out of the US. Amazon samples seem to usually be around 30-50 pages so that's a good indication of whether I'll like the book. I don't really have an incentive to buy without sampling since I don't leave the country all that often.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Whether or not I've read them is not important, nor is how many I have. They are there because I will eventually read or re-read them.
Thanks DG I'm glad I'm not the only one who operates on denial. BTW isn't Denial a river in Egypt?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #19
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Sorry, but I messed up my vote.

I thought it said "including freebies" , so I voted over 100, but I have purchased at least ten or more. If someone can fix my voting error, I'd be much obliged! And, I don't buy any that I don't intend to read.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
I voted in the 25-50 but I have been picking up ebooks for a while now but have no reader to read them on. So that may skew the results slightly. To answer any possible questions, No I can not read on an LCD screen. i.e. my pc monitor! My optometrist that did my laser eye surgery gave me very strict instructions to stay away from prolonged small print reading on lcd/crt monitors. He told me that it would do serious long term damage to the cells in my eyes. So until I can find a new job I will keep collection ebooks so that when I get my reader I will have plenty to read.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
With fictionwise discounts popping up monthly and BoB gift certificate sales, etc., how many unread ebooks do you have in your collection? (excluding freebee's i.e. classics.)
Excluding classics, about 40 (not counting short stories)

Quote:
Do you actually expect to read all of them? (Of course)
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them, would I?

Quote:
Why do you keep buying books when you already have so many unread books? (I can't help it. I'm obsessive/compulsive.)
Because I do want to read them. And mostly buy them when they're on sale. That way, I'll always have books to read. Besides, I've a reading sickness that sometimes manifests itself in excessive reading. If it does manifest itself, I'll be reading about 2 books a day, if I get the time (weekends, holidays) or 1 book a day if I don't (working days). I do need a stash of books in case that happens!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
we seem to split between those who only buy what they want to read when they want it (the 1-10 group) and those who buy /lots/ in advance (the 100+ group). There aren't many people who fall in the middle.

I suppose it makes sense. If you tend to buy just a few more than you can read each month, they soon pile up high. While if you only buy when you want to read it, you'll never accumulate a backlog.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Thanks DG I'm glad I'm not the only one who operates on denial. BTW isn't Denial a river in Egypt?

=X=
Hey.........I just think of it as my own portable traveling library...........any book, anytime, anywhere.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Paperwhite 2, T3
More than 100

If I hadn't bought some of these unread books at the time they'd probably be on the 'not available in your geographic area' list by now.

I need to buy them when they come up for sale or I'd forget 5 minutes later. I can remember poems I learned in infant school but not where I put my mobile 5 minutes ago. (That's why I have 2 mobiles. So I can use the 2nd one to ring the first and find it.)

Yes, I'll read them all one day - if I live long enough and don't buy another stack.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote