Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #151
TheArtfulPenguin
Photographer and Geek
TheArtfulPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I saw on the Kindle forum on Amazon that there is a debug command to disable the screen saver.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #152
bberrry
bberrry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulPenguin View Post
I saw on the Kindle forum on Amazon that there is a debug command to disable the screen saver.
Well, what is it then? :P

Edit:

In the homescreen, bring up the search dialogue with the del-key.
Now write: ;debugOn and enter
To disable screensaver enter: ~disableScreensaver
The screensaver is now completely disabled. You can't even use it through the power slider.
So, to enable it again, enter: ~resumeScreensaver
You can end with ;debugOff

Tested on a Kindle 3

Last edited by bberrry; 02-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Enthusiast
Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #153
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberrry View Post
Well, what is it then? :P

Edit:

In the homescreen, bring up the search dialogue with the del-key.
The screensaver is now completely disabled. You can't even use it through the power slider.
You can end with ;debugOff

Tested on a Kindle 3
hi,

do run on kindle dx g ?

bye.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #154
bberrry
bberrry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Does the timeout hack in post #100 work on a Kindle 3 Wifi? If not, where can I find one that does?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #155
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
hi,
do run on kindle dx g ?
In DXG with firmware 2.5.7, after applying the ;debugOn command, ~disableScreensaver is simply treated as a search term returning no results (unless you have a document containing that phrase).

MR

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 02-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #156
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
One of the reasons why I held back updating my Kindle DX despite the ability to highlight and write notes in PDFs as well as pan and zoom in PDFs is because I don't want to lose my ability to display that last page I am reading; who needs a screensaver for a book?

Has there been any solution or other hacks that can achieve the effect of not allowing the screensaver to kick in when going into suspend mode? I have been quite inactive (i.e. busy reading my Kindle) and would be grateful for anyone who can point me to a newer solution; apparently this old hack won't work on the new firmwares and I certain could appreciate (actually desperately wanted) the ability to make notes in PDFs.

Thanks for any kind souls for the pointers...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #157
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Highlight and Write Notes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acextreme View Post
One of the reasons why I held back updating my Kindle DX despite the ability to highlight and write notes in PDFs...
You can highlight and write notes in PDF's??

I'm not sure... I haven't seen any info to that effect. What version? I'm on DX 2.5.8 and I've got NO highlighting or note writing in a PDF. I've extended the screensaver timeout, but as I said a while back I would love my screen saver to just keep the last page on the screen as this perfect hack supposedly did. I'd love the luxury of time to learn how to just fix the original (unix?) code to handle whatever is causing it to break (it's probably version handling of the machine or software) but it will have to wait.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #158
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberrry View Post
Does the timeout hack in post #100 work on a Kindle 3 Wifi? If not, where can I find one that does?
Nope and nope.

It doesn't work on ANY kindle with current software. It's less than 20 lines of unix (?) code, so if you know anyone who can code that, it's probably a simple fix.

d
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #159
Florida Bob
New To Kindling
Florida Bob began at the beginning.

New here as well as being new to the Kindle...received one for my birthday just last week and was interested in disabling the screen saver which at times drives me to drink.

Bear with me as this is all new, but in attempting to disable the thing by using the info from bberry:

"In the homescreen, bring up the search dialogue with the del-key.
You can end with ;debugOff"

Not a durn thing is happening. No change whatsoever, so perhaps I am confused as to what "enter" is. My presumption was it is middle of the 5-sided square but if that's the case then its not working on my device.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #160
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool left pointing arrow with an upward tail on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Bob View Post
New here as well as being new to the Kindle...received one for my birthday just last week and was interested in disabling the screen saver which at times drives me to drink.

Bear with me as this is all new, but in attempting to disable the thing by using the info from bberry:

"In the homescreen, bring up the search dialogue with the del-key.
You can end with ;debugOff"

Not a durn thing is happening. No change whatsoever, so perhaps I am confused as to what "enter" is. My presumption was it is middle of the 5-sided square but if that's the case then its not working on my device.

Thanks in advance for the help
the 'enter' key is one of the regular keys, the one on the bottom right of the keyboard (left pointing arrow with an upward tail on the right).
--
Alan
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #161
Florida Bob
New To Kindling
Florida Bob began at the beginning.

Thank you kindly, alansplace. Much obliged.

And thanks to bberry too. Lots of good help here.

Last edited by Florida Bob; 05-20-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #162
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Bob View Post
Thank you kindly, alansplace. Much obliged.
you're quite welcome bob, enjoy the forum
--
Alan
Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #163
danielvulrich
danielvulrich began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picky-picasso View Post
You can highlight and write notes in PDF's??
what is the problem with that?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #164
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good evening. Back to the question, does it work with firmware 2.5.8? I'm unable to get ~help to work... I'm afraid it doesn't in new firmwares. Any alternative to run commands if it can't be done from the search bar?
Thank you
Old 01-23-2014, 02:15 AM   #165
xxtraloud
Enthusiast
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

I have a DXG jailbroken but I am not able to install this hack. Does anybody know how to disable screensaver on the DXG?
Closed Thread