Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
xmlgirl
xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
list of display issues in iBooks?

Hi All - is there a list of CSS properties that don't display as expected or just plain incorrectly? It's been a year since I worked on EPUBs and now I wish I'd taken better notes.
Thanks!
xmlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Turtle91
Guru
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6/5/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
The last time I asked that question I was told that each publishing company has their own list. Those with a better list create a better product and get more customers...

However, you can find a lot of issues just by skimming these forums.

If you DO find a list, could you please pass it along??

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I've tried to list every bug I've found here. Please add your own if you discover more.

From what I've seen, iBooks is by far the most standards-compliant reader out there. Compatibility issues are rare, and the workarounds are mostly limited to overriding bits of their default stylesheet aggressively....
dgatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlgirl View Post
Hi All - is there a list of CSS properties that don't display as expected or just plain incorrectly? It's been a year since I worked on EPUBs and now I wish I'd taken better notes.
Thanks!
You also have to remember, that the version of iBooks for iOS 5.x (first generation iPad) is going to be different than the current version iBooks. So you'll need a list of what's broken in that version as well as the current version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You also have to remember, that the version of iBooks for iOS 5.x (first generation iPad) is going to be different than the current version iBooks. So you'll need a list of what's broken in that version as well as the current version.
If you still care about iOS 5, yes. Even if every first-generation iPad sold were still in active use, it would still be only 6% of all the iPads out there (a paltry 15 million units out of more than 250 million to date). The reality, however, is that most app statistics seem to suggest that all the iOS 5 devices combined make up fewer than 1% of devices that are still in active use.

And even if you assume that number is low because it includes phones, given that:
  • users who haven't upgraded their hardware in more than four years are also less likely than average to buy books (and apps) on their devices,
  • the iBooks app didn't come on the device, and
  • users can't install iBooks on an iOS 5 device without "pre-purchasing" it with a Mac or PC (because of limitations on "older version" support from at least iOS 5 through iOS 7.x),

you're still more likely to see a unicorn, Bigfoot, or the Roswell aliens than to have your book read on an iPad 1.

In other words, I wouldn't spend even an hour of extra effort verifying compatibility. If one user happens to use one and complains, you can hack a modified version for that one user at that time, but otherwise, it probably isn't worth your time, IMO.
dgatwood is online now   Reply With Quote