Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 or Kindle DX?

I am looking at a Kindle. Is the DX's larger size sufficient to offset the higher price? I will likely use it to read a fair amount of pdfs?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
1. If PDF is highly important to you, get the Kindle DX if you're okay with the PDF limitations (you can READ them but pretty much do nothing else with them). If you're looking for the "perfect" PDF reader, then Kindle DX isn't it and you might as well save your money and get the Kindle 2 until a better PDF reader comes along.

2. If a big screen is highly important to you, then get the Kindle DX if you don't care about it being a bit large to carry around with you all the time.

3. Otherwise, get the Kindle 2; it's cheaper, does almost everything the Kindle DX does, and has easier to use keyboard and buttons.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Stingo
Evangelist
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
For me there is no question. If you need a small portable device, get the Sony PRS505. It does a reasonable job of reading epub and PDF as well as RTF and LRF. It has slightly better contrast and with Calibre can display newspapers and magazines. On top of that you can pick one up fairly cheap.[One caveat--if you are a big book "buyer" you can't beat the convenience of the Kindle 2]

That said, I have switched to the DX as my main reading device which rarely wanders far from my hands. The larger real estate is wonderful. I can read books as books. Many PDF's are ready to go without any changes because of the larger screen. I am willing to carry the bigger package for the sake of the pleasure that the bigger screen brings in reading a wider variety of content.

Its good to have options.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Having owned the Sony 500 (the 505 isn't much different), a Kindle 1 and now a Kindle 2, I think the Kindle2 is a far better reading device - absolutely no question. If you want to read PDF's, neither one is the greatest - they're just too small. A DX will be better in that regard.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
Having owned the Sony 500 (the 505 isn't much different), a Kindle 1 and now a Kindle 2, I think the Kindle2 is a far better reading device - absolutely no question. If you want to read PDF's, neither one is the greatest - they're just too small. A DX will be better in that regard.
That... I've had a K1, K2, DX and a Sony 505.

For a small reader the Sony 505 is the nicest, most cost effective device but suffers from a terminal lack of selection and some other features.

Kindle 2 is a great device, though... certainly prefer it the most of the devices I've had but since I want to read PDF's the DX wins - Amazon store + pdfs.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Stingo
Evangelist
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
There isn't much difference between the 500 and 505? Greater contrast, more grayscale shades, EPUBs, PDFs, faster....

No matter. If PDFs are an issue for you then for the moment the PRS505 is the choice in small reader. If PDFs and EPUB don't matter then Kindle2 is an equally good choice.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
If you really want/need PDF support and a larger screen device, wait. There is a rumor going around that Sony will have a larger screen device out in August. But my guess would be October based on past releases.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Thanks God, that will bring some healthy competition into the market. I'm getting fed up with Amazon. But I must admit, I really like my new DX.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Thanks God, that will bring some healthy competition into the market. I'm getting fed up with Amazon. But I must admit, I really like my new DX.
Yes they are lackluster, nut not terrible considering they have only recently become a company that makes hardware. All they have ever made in the past was a website selling other people's real world objects. It's a big step for the company I guess and a few hitches. So I forgive them a little bit for their incompetence lol

It's not as easy for them to make hardware as it would be for a company like Apple who has the hardware designers, hardware manufacturing contacts in place to make new devices easily.

If Apple ever get around to making a 10" touch device I'm pretty sure they will do to ebook readers what the ipod did to mp3 players and what iphone did to smartphones - Complete market dominance.

Anyway, that's all off topic. Evern though the PDF support is limited in the Kindle DX, the screen size and features are pretty good. That would be my choice!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Having owned both, I would never give up this big, beautiful screen. As long as portability is not a primary concern (like needing to carry it in a purse), I'd go with the DX.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
I keep my Sony PRS-505 around for novels, but the DX is a must for technical documentation/PDF/Textbooks.
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I'm like imagitronics, but I kept my Kindle 1 to read fiction and read non-fiction, PDFs, etc., on my DX. If I could only have one, it would be the DX, hands down.

It's so sweet to be able to switch between articles and such and not have to have pages of paper flying all over the place. In a cover, the DX is a tad smaller than a regular paper notebook (~letter sized), so easy to slip into a tote or bag. It's a bit big for a purse, though, imo, unless you have a really large purse (and some do).
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
rijker
curiouser and curiouser
rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, K1,K2, iTouch 16gb
The DX's screen and PDF capabilities (PDF handling could be improved of course) are beyond awesome. Didn't think I would ever use a book reader this much!
If you read anything with footnotes, the DX is a must. (otherwise you will be turning pages forever.) Also, with academic stuff I find I need to often glance back at a previous paragraph for reference and more text on a screen makes that a lot easier.

Since getting mine, I've certainly learned a lot more about PDF's (creating, formatting, reducing the size etc.!) - books are only part of what you can do with this bit of kit. It really shines with documents, reports, manuals etc. (wish it were easier to organize PDF's though) The size hasn't been an issue for me - interesting to see if this skews somewhat along gender lines? (in my case, I just toss it into my (padded!) backpack and head to the office or Starbucks. Fits perfectly and the cover (definitely buy or make a cover) offers a lot of protection. As mentioned, someone who uses a smaller backpack or a purse might have more problems. Similarly, the weight of the DX is fine for me and I can totally lose myself in a book with the best of them.

I thought reading in public with the DX (so far at Starbucks, on the bus or at a local Asian food court here in Seattle) would be clumsy or awkward, but has turned out to be a good experience. Again, the cover is great for holding and the unit is big enough, and type clear enough that you can still set it to one side and still eat and read. The experience has been a lot more discrete than I imagined (or dreaded

Good luck with whatever model you decide on - I know you will get a lot of enjoyment from either one! -J
rijker is offline   Reply With Quote