Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #46
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Oh, and a large screen iPod touch would have me drooling. I find I can get exceptional battery life out of my touch just by dimming the brightness way down. I prefer not having it so bright anyway, and reading outdoors with a large screen Liseuse is just not something I see myself doing.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #47
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I really, really want a large screen ereader (whats that other word... liseuse?) for graphic novels and manga (and I'll just say it... comic books) and I think we may soon have a blessing of options.
I think that the graphic novels/manga/comic solution will have to involve color and a touch screen to really work. And that, of course, is where Apple might come out on top with an iTab.

In particular, comics don't work well without color. Graphic novels can, and manga does. But there's an element of motion or perceived interaction or something that makes comics work better in color.

As for a touchscreen, again, comics are the main factor. Comic pages can be riots of nonsequential art, in the sense of reading left to right, ranging in size from a full page panel to several overlapping ones. I think that it lends itself very well to zooming, for instance. Plus, I think a reader has to be able to move back & forth between the whole page and specific panels or sections - gotta be a touch screen. Actually, I can imagine a whole new dimension for comics, manga & graphic novels on a touchscreen. Imagine, for example, a graphic novel in which you would read a person's interior thoughts by touching that person's image. Or being able to drill down into a digression, then return to the original page to continue the storyline.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #48
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I really want something that will handle full page PDFs. However (whimper) I really want something that will do full-text cross-document search and highlighting and annotation.

Kindle DX can't do that.

So I'm waiting.

But I *am* interested to hear about it when other people get it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #49
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 doesn't litterdeedward9 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
I'm also waiting to see if they something more for open formats and PDF support. I like the design of the device and would like to have a larger format ebook reader.
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #50
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I'm going to wait a bit and see what bugs start popping with this version before even thinking about upgrading.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #51
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
I've held the DX--it's heavy, but...

I was invited to the press conference in NY when they announced the DX. So I was able to (briefly) hold it. It is pretty big. It weighs more than the iLiad--more than a pound (the DX is 18.9 ounces and the iLiad is 15.3). I thought the iLiad was heavy to carry around. But I ordered a DX for a couple of reasons.

1. It is much more user friendly than the iLiad
2. It reads PDF files natively--no more messy conversions.
3. Graphics are worlds better on it.

I wouldn't buy it instead of the Kindle 2 unless I had a lot of PDF files or graphic-heavy files that would be unreadable on the Kindle 2. But then again, if you commute by car and don't have to carry your stuff much, the DX might be fine for you. I live in the city and commute by train so the weight of my devices matters more to me than it might to someone else. I will probably continue to use my regular Kindle for day-to-day stuff and leave the Kindle DX at home.
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #52
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
So I guess the size issue will both draw people to the DX and stop others from buying it. I find that I use my iPhone for quick news fixes or to read when I have a few minutes away from home. Stanza is a great app for reading and downloading books from Gutenberg or Manybooks. It's a fair device for light reading on the go. But for reading for pleasure at home I think the size of the DX will be a huge plus. As for the 500 dollarprice tag... I've spent probably I dunno how many hundred of hours reading on my Sony let's say conservatively 250 hours. And most of my books have been free. So say I spent a dollar an hour. The DX will be 2 bucks an hour. (I'm sure I've spent more hours than that. Lessee. I spend prolly an hour a day reading most of the time more. I've read all night many times on my Sony. I've had it for over 2 years.... I bet ive read a thousand hours on it. I've had it over 750 days. Times an hour a day with stretches of several hours a day regularly. I bet I've used it over 1500 hours and it's still going strong. So my Sony has cost me prolly (I like typing prolly! Prolly prolly prolly!) that's like 8 CENTS an hour. The DX at 500 bucks 2 years from now will have cost me double that. 16 cents an hour!! (pretty spendy!) I thnk I'm goin to love the DX.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #53
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think of large-screen devices as being replacements for 6" readers, but complimentary to them.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I look at it like this:
Kindle 2 = paperbook
Kindle DX = hardcover

in terms of reading ease.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandy View Post
Depends what you mean by "not portable." I always carry a briefcase/messenger bag to and from work, so it will fit in there quite well. Since I don't have a purse, the K2 wouldn't fit in a pocket, and would need to be hand-carried as well when I'm out without the bag.
+1

All of the above combine, for me, to having both a K2 and KDX. I thought the PRS was a nicer looking device but I do like the K2's page turn buttons better and all that extra room around the screen actually does, for me, make it easier to hold comfortably in all sorts of ways.

In hindsight, I should never have bothered with the leather covers for my Sony Readers and just gotten a case to slip it easily into when not using it. That's the route I took with the K2, and I just ordered the exact same style (Belkin neoprene) for the DX.

When commuting to/from work, I always have my satchel with me and it has my notepad & papers and often my work laptop so the DX will slip in there and be fine. Then for the times I am going to the lakefront, say, and packing light I'll bring the K2.

An important feature, for me, is the Whispersync. It will be very nice to switch devices, activate wireless for a few moments and have my reading material sync'd up right where I left off.

I refuse to discuss the cost of eBook readers since that's the #1 complaint from people who have no interest in eBook readers. "You mean you buy the reader and THEN you have to buy the BOOKS TOO???" I'm a gadget lover, I'll pay for the gadgets.
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #54
hackettt
Enthusiast
hackettt is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
As a college professor, I am waiting to see the participation of publishers with the Kindle 2 and the DX. I agree with many of the students on the benefits of having all your textbooks in one device that weighs close to the amount of one paper chapter of the existing textbooks.
hackettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #55
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I am waiting for someone to send Jeff B an atlas (don't Amazon stock them?) and a note explaining that there is a whole other place outside of the U.S.A.

I greatly value the expertise on MR but it is all pretty academic when it comes to the kindle and its kin.

Last edited by HappyMartin; 06-11-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #56
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by numindast View Post
I refuse to discuss the cost of eBook readers since that's the #1 complaint from people who have no interest in eBook readers. "You mean you buy the reader and THEN you have to buy the BOOKS TOO???" I'm a gadget lover, I'll pay for the gadgets.
Tell them that your device is not a reader. It's a portable bookcase. It holds lots of books. You'd probably have to spend a few hundred bucks on bookcases if you didn't have your device.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #57
poohbear_nc
Feliz Fowlidad!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
I'm going to be buying it mainly for reading Novels and some Poetry. The Bible and Lots of public domain books like The Brothers K and Les Mis etc. I love the Classics. I'm 48 and in the last couple of years my close focus muscles have gone to dinner and haven't returned yet. So a LARGE screen device has a huge appeal to me. I have to put my Sony 500 n permanent "L" now. And turn the page every ten seconds. The large size doesn't daunt me. I think I can find a "man purse" or bag of some sort to lug it around. I plan on keeping my trusty Sony to carry along when I go to the movies or grocery shopping with my wife, those moments during the day when I'm waiting in line and can snatch a few moments to read. I look at the big screen as a luxury for reading at home or in bed. And hopefully it will load this site on the Internet browser? (does anyone know...?)
But still I wait for the scoop from Y'all.
Roy - you need to see the DX in your hand - order one (remember 30 day return policy) - you won't be sorry (well, maybe your credit card balance will whimper). I'm totally hooked!
poohbear_nc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #58
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Pooh... (I hope you dont mind me shortening your name...) I'm totally on board believe me. Especially after I did my own math comparing hours I've used my Sony verses price. Works out to pennies per hour. I just like to walk into things knowing everything possible about... Whatever.

For example today in Bend Oregon on vacation we saw some Bald Eagles flying. So I hopped on the Internet and found a ton of fascinating yet useless facts about Bald Eagles. They rtrn to the same nest every year and add to them. The nests can grow to over 6 to 9 feet in diameteras they add to it over the years and can weigh up to 2 tons! The eggs incubate 31 days... Etc. Oh, and the reason theyre bald is cuz secretly theyre all Three Stooges Fans and they all love Curly so they shave their heads.

Oops I got off track. Anyhow I've been reading the early reviews and it sounds perfect. I will be ordering mine within the month I'm sure.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #59
poohbear_nc
Feliz Fowlidad!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Pooh... (I hope you dont mind me shortening your name...) I'm totally on board believe me. Especially after I did my own math comparing hours I've used my Sony verses price. Works out to pennies per hour. I just like to walk into things knowing everything possible about... Whatever.

For example today in Bend Oregon on vacation we saw some Bald Eagles flying. So I hopped on the Internet and found a ton of fascinating yet useless facts about Bald Eagles. They rtrn to the same nest every year and add to them. The nests can grow to over 6 to 9 feet in diameteras they add to it over the years and can weigh up to 2 tons! The eggs incubate 31 days... Etc. Oh, and the reason theyre bald is cuz secretly theyre all Three Stooges Fans and they all love Curly so they shave their heads.

Oops I got off track. Anyhow I've been reading the early reviews and it sounds perfect. I will be ordering mine within the month I'm sure.
Cool - I think once you see the DX your Sony will be a forgotten episode in your ocular history. And your eyes will thank you - I'm reading more than ever now (if that is possible). Oh bother!

I live near Jordan Lake in NC - they reintroduced a Bald Eagle pair there a few years ago - saw Papa in a tree outside my house - they're HUGE - and beautiful. Not sure about their TV viewing habits (esp. with loss of analog signals - BTW they surely used real bunny ears on their sets)
poohbear_nc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
There are rumors of Sony coming out with a larger screen reading in August. I'd wait and tif this turns out to be true, then you have the choice of the Sony or the DX and can then make the choice as to what's best for you. Given that it's only about 2 months to wait, I'd wait. Because if you get a DX now, you won't be able to return it then.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote