Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Tea or Coffee? Coffee or Tea?
Tea 44 47.83%
Coffee 45 48.91%
Neither 10 10.87%
*Neutral* 2 2.17%
Spain 5 5.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I only like coffee, if it doesn't taste like coffee.
that's how i feel about beer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #62
BenG
Wizard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I love coffee, black or with a little milk, but I hate and despise sweet coffee.

On the other hand I like my tea (Irish breakfast tea) with lots of sugar.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #63
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The one thing I miss from Greece:

I have Nescafe and one of those espresso sticks, but I still can't manage to make myself ena frappe, me gala, metrio correctly. One day...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #64
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Earl Gray (black tea) with International Delight creamer (non-milk). All day and every day. I also drink one can of Dr Pepper only because more would make me ill but if I could I would hook myself up to the stuff.

Last edited by pagansoul; 05-25-2009 at 08:48 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #65
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
C.c.c.coffff..f.eee! :jitters:

I love tea but it doesn't agree with my stomach and I usually spend 1 or 2 hours aferwards with lingering nausea every time I try.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 05-26-2009 at 06:25 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #66
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I only like coffee, if it doesn't taste like coffee.
My drink of choice is General Foods International Coffee, Swiss Mocha flavor!
Four heaping spoonfuls, so it is nice and rich!
I don't generally ever drink instant coffee anymore (I'm assuming the above is an instant coffee), since we got the espresso machine. I do recall once sitting on the shower-stall floor, migraine bashing away like a cold mallet, sipping on the instant coffee I'd made because I didn't know how to operate the espresso machine and the Loved One wasn't there and I was feeling like crying and throwing up at the same time. However, I'll say that I don't like espresso-based iced-coffees. For my tastes, instant coffee iced coffees taste far better, full-cream milk and super-sweet.

For tea...well, I don't drink the stuff. I've some chai mix upstairs I've yet to try though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #67
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
Is Muckefuck well known?
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #68
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Coffee : Black - cafetiere, organic. Occasionally with a dash or two of Tia Maria.

Tea : Japanese powdered green - no additions....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #69
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I used to drink a lot of coffee but as I got older I find that I enjoy tea more. For everything you ever wanted to know about tea, coffee and alcoholic drinks I can recommend a splendid book on the subject. "Buzz : the science and lore of alcohol and caffeine" by Stephen Braun. Penguin Books, 1997. It answers many questions that were asked in this thread.
There is no standard measure for caffeine in drinks like for alcohol, but "the most commonly used unit is the 100 milligrams of caffeine found in an average (8-ounce) cup of regular coffee...two cups of black tea"
As to the duration of the effects of caffeine, the time it takes for half a dose to be eliminated from the body is called the "half-life" and the half-life of caffeine averages between five and six hours.
However, curiously, "women taking oral contraceptives require about twice the normal time to eliminate caffeine. For such women, the stimulation from a single cup of coffee might last all day. A similar, though less dramatic increase in caffeine's half-life has been reported for women during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle - the time between ovulation and the beginning of menstruation." This would explain why some women are more sensitive to its effects.
As to mixing tea and coffee, apparently it is a standard item in Hong Kong coffee shops. One can go into a coffee shop in Hong Kong and order a "coffee-tea". Those who drink the stuff say that they love it because they can taste the two flavours separately at the same time!
By the way Zelda, have you tried Twining's Lady Grey tea? It is available in France and subtitled Earl Grey russe. This is one of my favourites.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #70
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
I tried Lady Grey, didn't particular like it. It wasn't the Twinings one, but Simon Levelt.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #71
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I enjoy Kenilworth Ceylon OP1 with plenty of milk and honey, Rooibos Chai and plain Rooibos both with lemon and honey

And my No.1 I tend to drink most days is Mint tea with lemon and honey.

I gave up caffine in general as it was reducing my quality of life(sleeping badly and so on). I know there's some minimal in some teas but that I can handle.

I tend to not need boosts to get through my days though if I really need a pick me up and that food alone doesn't suffice I'll make or get a cup of it.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #72
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
By the way Zelda, have you tried Twining's Lady Grey tea? It is available in France and subtitled Earl Grey russe. This is one of my favourites.
yes, i believe i have had Earl Grey Russe ; i liked it, if i recall correctly.

as for what you say about caffeine affecting women differently... i think it's quite accurate. i'm very sensitive to it myself. i have coffee in the morning when i get up (one cup) but after that i only drink tea, and only non-caffeine tea in the evening. if i have coffee in the afternoon i can't sleep at night. which is frustrating, because i love it so...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #73
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if i have coffee in the afternoon i can't sleep at night. which is frustrating, because i love it so...
One advantage of not being able to sleep at night is the ability to finish that book!

Never drank coffee, never liked it, but I don't need it to stay awake at night. A book I must finish will do that...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #74
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
One advantage of not being able to sleep at night is the ability to finish that book!

Never drank coffee, never liked it, but I don't need it to stay awake at night. A book I must finish will do that...
ha. lately i have been "finishing books" whether i want to or not, no coffee needed. a few days ago i went to bed and was reading as usual until i felt sleepy... but for some reason even if was tired i wasn't sleepy at all. so i just kept reading. when i got to the end of the book i decided it was a sign, so i put away my liseuse and shut off the light... then i noticed it was daylight already ! it was 6 in the morning.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #75
Flashingblade
Enthusiast
Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Coffee more often than not - but I do like a nice cup of Ceylon tea when I am in the mood.
Flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote