Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Shane R
Addict
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Will You Be Seated on a Jury?

A webtest. Should be free to access as long as you have not visited more than 10 times in the last 30 days, in which case the paywall will block you.

Will You Be Seated on a Jury?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...duty-quiz.html

Me? No. Seems like I'd be the plaintiffs nightmare because of my hobbies and the fact that I manage other people.

A sample:

Quote:
Do you like to do crossword puzzles or other games that require your full concentration?

Yes?

More likely to side with defendant

This is a question about your cognitive style. The defense lawyer thinks you are more likely to respond to the defense's more detail-oriented arguments about the precise wording of the trading agreement between the plaintiff and the bank giving standard trading authorization to the bank.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've been picked several times to serve jury duty. Minor stuff each time I imagine, though I don't know for sure as in each case the parties ended up settling whatever it was out of court before the actual court date.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Quexos
In limbo
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Ipad Mini Retina
I hope never nor do I hope to ever be called to tally votes when there are elections here.
I'm not even sure people are called to decide on other people's fate over here. Jury duty seems to be an American thing, but I'm not sure.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'll never be seated. I've been called a few times, but because my dad was an attorney, among other degrees, I have a Para legal degree, and last but not least, I've broken myself so many times in so many ways they don't want me. And I'm just fine with that
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I hope never nor do I hope to ever be called to tally votes when there are elections here.
I'm not even sure people are called to decide on other people's fate over here. Jury duty seems to be an American thing, but I'm not sure.
Perhaps it's an English-judicial system thing. It was the Magna Carta, (I'm pretty sure) that set up trial by a jury of one's peers. It depends on the offense, of course - no jury would convict on a parking offense
Canada, England, the USA, I'd be willing to bet on Australia and New Zealand, and probably others of English colonial history.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Froide
Guru
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, Samsung GS4, Laptop, Desktop. RIP: NOOK Tablet, Palm devices.
Interesting.

OT (but related) Trivia:
  • Multiple John Grisham novels, most notably The Runaway Jury (1996 book, 2003 film), expose the intricacies of jury-picking and manipulation.
  • And from Wikipedia: Phil McGraw...

Oprah Winfrey and the Dr. Phil show

In 1995, Oprah Winfrey hired McGraw's legal consulting firm CSI to prepare her for the Amarillo Texas beef trial. Winfrey was so impressed with McGraw that she thanked him for her victory in that case, which ended in 1998. Soon afterward, she invited him to appear on her show. His appearance proved so successful that he began appearing weekly as a relationship and life strategy expert on Tuesdays starting in April 1998.

Last edited by Froide; 08-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
I was seated once about 20 years ago, it was a relatively short criminal trial of about four days. The defendant was accused of domestic violence, and we found him guilty. It was a most enlightening experience, and I'd do it again given the opportunity.

I'm not sure that I'd want to be sequestered for an extended trial though.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Perhaps it's an English-judicial system thing. It was the Magna Carta, (I'm pretty sure) that set up trial by a jury of one's peers. It depends on the offense, of course - no jury would convict on a parking offense
Canada, England, the USA, I'd be willing to bet on Australia and New Zealand, and probably others of English colonial history.
If it was parking like a jerk across two spots. I'd convict.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
If it was parking like a jerk across two spots. I'd convict.
Sometimes, when all of the handicapped parking places are being taken by 20somethings using their dead grandma's handicapped placard, I will use two parking spots in order to have room to deploy the wheelchair ramp.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I seem to be the plaintiff's nightmare, because
"Do you believe that there are too many frivolous lawsuits in this country?" Yes.
Quote:
The defense lawyer has now fallen in love with you.
"Do you believe that investing is similar to gambling?" Yes.
Quote:
This is a common sentiment held by a subgroup of jurors in a case involving investments. Plaintiff lawyers may be concerned that you will put too much responsibility on the investor to guard her own money.
Also, I am under 30, so obviously I don't care about old people.
Quote:
Plaintiff lawyers may believe that because you are a younger person, you may be less likely to sympathize with someone in her 60s and would be less likely to be disturbed by the idea of losing a lot of money later in life.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-25-2014 at 11:03 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote