Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
ebookprice.info now supports BooksOnBoard

I've just added support for BooksOnBoard, so you can now quickly compare the prices across Amazon, BooksOnBoard, Diesel, eBooks, eReadable, Fictionwise, Powells and Textbooks.com.

Also, I'll be adding CyberRead.com in the next day or two.

I've had some really useful feedback from people which has helped me make the site better, faster, cleaner - please keep the suggestions coming!

Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Well done! Thank you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
I did jut find one issue. The price from Fictionwise is the retail price. Can you show us the club price and the prices after the micropay rebates?

I think there is also a bug. I just tried searching for Pendragon: Soldiers of Halla and nothing has come up for Amazon even though they have it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-23-2009 at 07:30 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did jut find one issue. The price from Fictionwise is the retail price. Can you show us the club price and the prices after the micropay rebates?
Thanks for the suggestion - that's definitely high on the "ToDo" list, I'm still pondering the best way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think there is also a bug. I just tried searching for Pendragon: Soldiers of Halla and nothing has come up for Amazon even though they have it.
This is a recent book, isn't it? (Publication date: May 12 2009)

It can't be showing up in Amazon's data feed yet - sometimes it takes a few weeks after publication for Amazon.com to make the info available via their API.

So it will show up sometime soon.

Cheers
Rachel
Old 05-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Based on the respose to The Hobbit (#1 in the "Lord Of The Rings" series) J. R. R. Tolkien.

Palm and ereader are the same format.

Adobe and PDF are the same format. EReadable calls them Adobe PDF, but this is listed as PDF. Books on Board calls PDFs Adobe Digital Editions. They also carry Adobe ePub.

Books on Board has two versions of the ebook, here and here. The catalog has found both of them (since it includes ereader and mobipocket) but is missing Adobe ePub which best for the Sony Reader and for several other devices about to come on the market.

The ereader version at Fictionwise is missing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
rwillmer
luzme.com

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Based on the respose to The Hobbit (#1 in the "Lord Of The Rings" series) J. R. R. Tolkien.

Palm and ereader are the same format.
Someone else mentioned that a while back but the change hadn't made it in to the live site. Fixed now

Quote:
Adobe and PDF are the same format. EReadable calls them Adobe PDF, but this is listed as PDF. Books on Board calls PDFs Adobe Digital Editions. They also carry Adobe ePub.
On my site, Adobe and PDF are different - PDF is is when I know it to be PDF, Adobe is for everything else - ADE, ePub or where it just isn't clear.

I'll make a separate ePub column when I can find enough vendors who make it clear that that's what they're selling.

Quote:
The ereader version at Fictionwise is missing.
It's there now, sometimes the search results take a little while to come back when the site is busy, because I'm limited at how many queries I can throw at the bookstores' websites without them complaining.

Cheers
Rachel
Old 05-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillmer View Post
On my site, Adobe and PDF are different - PDF is is when I know it to be PDF, Adobe is for everything else - ADE, ePub or where it just isn't clear.
Adobe has caused the confusion by supporting two formats, and Books on Board says that some publishers don't distinguish between Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub. However, at Books on Board "Adobe Digital Editions" is PDF (with a very small chance of it being ePub instead) and "Adobe ePub" is ePub. At the other sites in your search, "Adobe" or "Adobe Digital Editions" or "Adobe PDF" is an Adobe PDF ebook. What eReadable is selling in this case is "Adobe PDF", and this is exactly the same ebook as powells and diesel is selling.

It is probably still possible to read Adobe PDF ebooks using Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 2.0, but otherwise the only way to read Adobe PDF ebooks is now with Adobe Digital Editions.

I understand your reluctance to add a column for ePub, when Books on Board is the only one selling this format in the US. I suggest sticking with "Adobe" as the heading or "Adobe PDF/ePub", but I also suggest including Adobe PDF in this column as well as Adobe Digital Editions.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillmer View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - that's definitely high on the "ToDo" list, I'm still pondering the best way to do it.
How about a user preference stored in a cookie - choose whether to show fictionwise prices as base price or with 15% club pricing. Ideally also a method to choose to show price after any special offers or micropay rebate.

For example, Lord of the Rings.

Best price you show is Kindle ay $14.04. Great for Kindle owners. For ePub, Mobipocket, Microsoft and eReader/Palm (nice to see that correctly listed), Books on Board seem to have the best price at $24.50

But fictionwise currently has a 50% rebate on LOTR, taking the club price, after rebate, to $12.32. That's the sort of thing I'd really like to know about.

Diesel ebooks also has a rebate scheme, dropping their price to $27.98. It would be nice to be able to select to see that rebate too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
rwillmer
luzme.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How about a user preference stored in a cookie - choose whether to show fictionwise prices as base price or with 15% club pricing. Ideally also a method to choose to show price after any special offers or micropay rebate.
Yes, I think I've figured out what I need to make this work at the backend - will see what I can do.

Thanks
Rachel
Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Amazing website! Thanks a lot!
The only thing is, it makes me mad again I can't buy ebooks from Amazon. for the few books that I checked, Amazon price was a constant 6.39$ while the other stores price run from 7.39$ to 24.70$.

(Case in point: Name of the wind. You don't know how long I've been waiting to buy this book )
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Case in point: Name of the wind.
The publisher says the list price is $7.99, here. All the retailers except Amazon seem to have missed the price change, and have the list price set at $24.95.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Hey that is one awesome web site. New guy likes!!!
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The publisher says the list price is $7.99, here. All the retailers except Amazon seem to have missed the price change, and have the list price set at $24.95.
Thanks! Nice find.

When Penguin site offer the book in the format: "eBook - Adobe Reader", do they mean PDF or ePub? (They mention ADE, which points to the latter, but I'm not sure).
Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Dave Berk
Fanatic

@Rachel:

Could you also add Baen store to the list? I know they don't usually sell their ebooks through any other store, but it would help towards making your site a one stop place for finding ebooks.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
When Penguin site offer the book in the format: "eBook - Adobe Reader", do they mean PDF or ePub?
They almost certainly mean PDF.