Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Using Calibre with Oasis

I'm looking to buy a Kindle Oasis but most of my books are epub that have had the DRM removed (I don't torrent them), converted to mobi and are loaded onto my Kindle Keyboard through Calibre.

Can I still do that with Oasis?

Thanks.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes. The .mobi files will load onto an Oasis just fine.

You could re-convert to AZW3 from ePub before transferring if you like, but it's unlikely that they have any complex formatting which would benefit from the newer format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Thanks so much for the info!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Would the mobi format still allow hyphenation on the Oasis?

Just curious - I've converted my epubs to kfx for my Oasis.

Most work fine, except for no book cover.

Those that didn't convert to kfx I've converted to azw3 and then applied the 'hyphenate this' addon to them - works great too.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you live in Canada, you'd be better off with a Reader that handles ePub because then you can use Overdrive at your local library. You cannot do that with a Kindle in Canada.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you live in Canada, you'd be better off with a Reader that handles ePub because then you can use Overdrive at your local library. You cannot do that with a Kindle in Canada.
Thanks for the helpful suggestion but I don't want a reader that handles epub. I like the Kindles. If I wanted a epub reader I would buy an epub reader.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I've no idea about hyphenation support in the Oasis, or in Kindles generally.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
No. Or, rather, maybe

There are three readers involved here, using completely separate code and with totally divergent features. The appropriate reader is invoked automatically. In brief: the newer two support hyphenation. The older one doesn't.

1) The old MOBI reader, reading the Mobipocket format, some but by no means all *.mobis. This is still used for periodicals (since the periodical reader was never reimplemented for other formats) and for any ebooks you might have downloaded way back in the mists of time before AZW3 started becoming common: these days most books are dual-format, so any remotely newer reader will receive an AZW3-format file instead. It uses a different set of line spacings to everything else, though they are derived from the same configuration settings, which is deeply irritating because everything leaps closer together or further apart from what you're used to if you read one of these. Voice View doesn't work with this because apparently blind people don't need to read newspapers in Amazon's world. No hyphenation, and really bad line spacing as a result. Discretionary hyphens are not supported: the reader never breaks at hyphens at all, not even at em dashes unless they are surrounded by spaces (which is frankly rare).

2) The AZW3 reader, used for *.azw3 books and "dual-format" mobis such as those created by default by Calibre for non-periodicals; this format is essentially epub in wolf's clothing. Handles discretionary hyphens, so the Calibre Hyphenate This! plugin works with this reader. On older firmware (5.6.1.x and older, definitely: maybe some later firmware, but definitely not by 5.8.x) this too does not split on non-discretionary hyphens, but by the time of the Oasis firmware it was definitely splitting on those too. Because it supports discretionary hyphens you can hyphenate however you wish: I often run things through TeX::Hyphen with a bit of fearfully ugly Perl

3) The KFX reader, only generatable by Amazon from uploaded books according to a schedule laid down on sheets of carefully prepared human skin in the sixth circle of Hell, so almost impossible to test your newly-written book on. A much simpler format than azw3, it can't handle a lot of things AZW3 can (like complex tables), but what it can handle imposes much less CPU load on the Kindle, so it has CPU time to render automatically-generated hyphenation info sent down as part of the file. This is allegedly better than the hyphenation Hyphenate This! does, but having seen it hyphenate 'hyperspace' as 'hypers-pace', I don't believe it for a moment: it is fairly terrible and I would guess that about 2% of its hyphenation choices are hilariously wrong. Amazon need to fire whoever wrote this hyphenator and just use the Knuth/Liang TeX algorithm like everyone else. (As a side benefit, that algorithm is so cheap to run that it can easily hyphenate in realtime on the Kindle with zero battery life impact; it also works for lots of languages with minimal per-language state. But nooo, Amazon have to do it their own way, worse than everything else out there including things people designed when Jeff Bezos was still a teenager.)

You can tell if you're using the KFX reader at runtime because the nearly-useless multi-page page-flip stuff works, and because if there are hyphens you'll sometimes be ripped out of the reading flow by really bad ones like "teat-ime" (yes, I really saw that one; no lactating mother was involved). You can tell if you're using the old .mobi reader because of the jagged line endings due to the total absence of hyphenation and because your line spacing has suddenly changed. Otherwise, you're using azw3.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Any Perl code is fearfully ugly
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #10
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
No. Or, rather, maybe

There are three readers involved here, using completely separate code and with totally divergent features. .......

...... You can tell if you're using the old .mobi reader because of the jagged line endings due to the total absence of hyphenation and because your line spacing has suddenly changed. Otherwise, you're using azw3.
Well now... I thought it might be simple

Next... I've just noticed the first couple of books i've read on the Oasis do NOT have indented paragraphs.

Very odd - although these were all sideloaded from Calibre epub to kfx or azw3 conversions.
Hmmmm.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next... I've just noticed the first couple of books i've read on the Oasis do NOT have indented paragraphs.

Very odd - although these were all sideloaded from Calibre epub to kfx or azw3 conversions.
Indents on paragraphs are down to the coding, whichever format you have. Check the original ePub, and then check the calibre conversion options. (Some people prefer a space between paragraphs and no indent. It might be that calibre's conversion options are set up to give you this.)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
Coops
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Indents on paragraphs are down to the coding, whichever format you have. Check the original ePub, and then check the calibre conversion options. (Some people prefer a space between paragraphs and no indent. It might be that calibre's conversion options are set up to give you this.)

That works a treat - no indents looks wrong.

I also embedded the Charis SIL font - very nice indeed. A little heavier line weight than Bookerly, which works well on eink. ( And the book covers work fine on conversion to azw3).

Not quite sure what benefits KFX offers?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That works a treat - no indents looks wrong.

I also embedded the Charis SIL font - very nice indeed. A little heavier line weight than Bookerly, which works well on eink. ( And the book covers work fine on conversion to azw3).

Not quite sure what benefits KFX offers?
If you like Charis SIL, I think you'll like my modified version even better. It has better line-height & more weight for more contrast on an eInk screen. You can get it at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

As for KFX, you get kerning & ligatures (if the font has them) and hyphenation. But you cannot do anything with KFX other than read the eBook as is.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Coops
Zealot

I got your "CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger" font - so I think i'll download the version at your link to ensure it's the latest.

I use 'hyphenate this' plug in with Calibre for epub to azw3, so that negates that kfx 'benefit'... and having a close look, it seems like it kerns too ( particularly noticeable with an 'a' following an 'r' ).

Book covers are converted and work perfectly, and the benefit of having your font embedded has I think made my mind up....
Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I got your "CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger" font - so I think i'll download the version at your link to ensure it's the latest.

I use 'hyphenate this' plug in with Calibre for epub to azw3, so that negates that kfx 'benefit'... and having a close look, it seems like it kerns too ( particularly noticeable with an 'a' following an 'r' ).

Book covers are converted and work perfectly, and the benefit of having your font embedded has I think made my mind up....
I've done away with the ModifiedLarger version. I've found no need for it as all you need do is increase the font size.