Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Red face Kindle Compulsions: Do you turn off?

So... this might sound dumb, but im itching to know more about the behaviours of kindle users.

When using my kindle 2, I get worried the on/off reset button may break if I pull it too many times(maybe im ocd about things breaking) but I turn it off anyway to conserve energy.

I off it(hold it for 4 seconds) every time that its going to be put away for more than an hour and only leave it on the screen saver if I was going to be back to read in 15 min. Am I doing it wrong?

When they say the battery life was supposed to last for a week, does it count in within the time that you have kept it off to conserve battery life? or does it count as the "on" time? (I plug my kindle into my computer at least once a day, it has never ran out of battery before as of yet)

If so. Does that mean that if I left my kindle 3 on screensaver it should last a month almost without having to recharge it?

Do you turn your kindle off every time? or do you leave it idle on screen saver? Would keeping it on screen saver shorten the life span of your kindle?

If you do turn your kindle off every time like I do, are you afraid the on/off button would break after a period of time?

Do you have other compulsive behaviors such as wiping the screen with a anti-static cloth every time before/after you or someone else have used it?
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I never turn it off. When I am done reading I put it down and it takes care of its self. I do turn off the 3g to conserve power and turn it on only to check for items and to look for new books.

I am not afraid of breaking the on off button but have noticed that the next page button seems a little looser than when I got it, or is it my imagination. Anyway it all works fine.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Urbs
Urbs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, HTC Hero
I also just put it away and let the Kindle take care of itself. I (in stark contrast to most others) always leave 3G on as I like to pick up the book I'm reading on my HTC Hero and wants to be able to keep reading where I left off.
Urbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I have the K1 and never turn it off either, but do keep the wireless off. The off switch on the K1 is on the back and not easily accessible if you keep it in a cover.

My battery will last at least 1 week with heavy reading or several weeks with light reading. You can also continue to read your Kindle while it is charging.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Wow so you don't have to turn the kindle off at all and it still has an excellent battery life.

That's very impressive.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrial View Post
So... this might sound dumb, but im itching to know more about the behaviours of kindle users.

Do you turn your kindle off every time?...
I never turn my K1 off, but I do put it to sleep when I'm finished reading. I almost never turn on Whispernet because I don't have a very robust signal where I live. So I'm really looking forward to having WiFi instead on my K3.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nope, I never turn my Kindle off. I leave the 3G turned off mostly and plug it in once in a while. Turning it back on takes too long when I want to read
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Never turn off my GDX and never the Kindle 2 before it. Start up time is just too long.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food
Cosmo Spring doesn't litterCosmo Spring doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX-G
I went on a trip last weeked and my battery died! I actually felt pretty stupid. It sorta reminded me of the time my boss ran out of gas in her Prius.

But no, I don't turn the Kindle off (as in OFF-off) but I do tend to put it in sleep mode. I'm no battery-ologist, but I seem to recall that one of the innovations of the eReader screens is that power is not drained - or is drained quite minimally - when the screen is static. It's the refreshes (as in, page-turns or switching screensaver images) that uses up the power. So yeah, I guess if you're not flipping pages then you're using less battery.
Cosmo Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
USUALLY I TURN IT OFF
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The amount of battery power that the Kindle uses while at rest is absolutely negligible. The only time it really uses any power is when you are interacting with it, that is, turning pages, using the keyboard, moving the "cursor", and so on. And even then the drain on the battery is small.

Turning it off might or might not be a good idea, but it certainly won't save any electricity.

Whispernet is another matter. If you want to save energy and conserve your battery, keep Whispernet switched off except when you are actually using it.

Last edited by Mike L; 08-12-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If I'm closing my Kindle in a case I'll manually turn on the screensaver but otherwise I just lay it down. I leave my 3G on all the time and usually top off my charge once a week.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I too only put my kindle in sleep mode if I am putting it away in its case. Otherwise, I just set it down. I read a couple hours a day, but never have 3G on - battery lasts about 2 weeks.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink

Well with the e ink display it uses zero power to hold the screen saver once it pops up . although I swear that I get phantom page turns in the screen saver sleep mode ....sometimes . The only time I turn off complete is when I not going to use it for a day or so... but is not necessary . Although to extend the charge life when I'm not downloadimg a book or checking email I turn off the whisper net ... that makes a really difference in battery life.

Last edited by bob1xxx; 08-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I never turn it off either, and most times let it go to sleep by itself. Battery life - well, I load my books through the PC and it charges then, so I rarely use the wall charger. Maybe twice in 8 months?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch off, turn off