Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
multiple hacks?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there any known problems with applying multiple hacks? For instance, if I were to apply the screensaver hack and then apply the unicode font hack, would there be any unintended results from the Kindle being double hacked? Would my version read "2.0.2 (309510017) + SS 0.4 + UFHack 0.1" or would it read "2.0.2 (309510017) + UFHack 0.1"? Would both hacks be able to be removed when a new update gets sent out? Has anyone tested this? Does the order of applying and/or removing these hacks matter? Just checking. There are some great hacks to choose from now, and I wasn't sure if I had to choose my one favorite hack or if I could apply multiple hacks without worries. Thanks!
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
It depends on the hack.

The ones that you've mentioned coexist. I currently have UFHack and Savory 0.6 installed.

I believe that with Savory, when you uninstall it it will revert the browser version of UFHack if UFHack as second to be installed. I believe that SS hack would also work with these two.

This does raise some issues though.

line from prettyversion.txt if of rather limited length, so hack writers should probably limit the length of the names to perhaps 2 letters and 2 digits and loose the + sign.

Definetly when you install any hacks - back up original versions of modified config files (most hacks dump them on the kindle drive) - might save you a lot of trouble in the future when official amazon update comes around.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert