Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Who REALLY killed JFK?

I used to have an incredible research library of over 50 volumes on the Kennedy assassination, including the House Select Committee on Assassination Report (1978) in 12 or 13 volumes. (Sorry, can't remember exactly.)

The HSCA came to the conclusion that it was probable that Lee Harvey Oswald did not act alone, and that another (unnamed) shooter was involved.

When more than one person is involved and not acting alone, that fits the definition of a conspiracy.

Jack Ruby, who shot Oswald on live TV, denied having ties to organized crime, but a number of books have refuted his words.

Was there a "renegade" arm of the CIA involved? Or just one demented individual making a political statement? Two or more individuals?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
On a tangent (I hope this still considered "on topic"), I watched part of a CNN special last night about the asassination of MLK, Jr. In it they had clips of interviews with various people including Andrew Young. Now I happen to like and respect Andy Young a great deal. But I recoiled when I heard him say that he believes that James Earl Ray was not responsible and that certainly the FBI, the Memphis police department, and the U.S. military were involved. I continue to be amazed at how humans seem to see conspiracy behind every event despite the evidence in front of them. It is a truly amazing psychological question, in my mind. In fact, I'm wondering if it's the result of alien intervention. Or those darned black helicopters.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I'm not an expert, but I have to say that there have been countless books, articles, TV documentaries, academic papers, judicial reports and a couple of full-length movies on the JFK assasination over the last 50 years. Is there really anything new to add?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, I don't mean to ridicule people questioning what is said by others - far from it! I just mean that it sometimes leads to beliefs which seem to defy logic. For example, I have a good friend who has a Ph.D. in a technical field from Harvard and who is a really bright guy. But he absolutely believes that there is a photo taken during the Kennedy assassination that was taken in direct line of sight of a shooter near the grassy knoll and the blurred image upon magnification is that of the smoke emanating from the barrel of the gun at just the moment it was fired. Never mind that there is no evidence to support it or that the probability of snapping such a photo is infinitesimally small or that, like the face on mars photo, some imagined details appear in images when they are overly processed.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
On a tangent (I hope this still considered "on topic"), I watched part of a CNN special last night about the asassination of MLK, Jr. In it they had clips of interviews with various people including Andrew Young. Now I happen to like and respect Andy Young a great deal. But I recoiled when I heard him say that he believes that James Earl Ray was not responsible and that certainly the FBI, the Memphis police department, and the U.S. military were involved. I continue to be amazed at how humans seem to see conspiracy behind every event despite the evidence in front of them. It is a truly amazing psychological question, in my mind. In fact, I'm wondering if it's the result of alien intervention. Or those darned black helicopters.
It's probably due to an adverse effect of Murphy's Law on Occam's Razor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
Who REALLY killed JFK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have an incredible research library of over 50 volumes on the Kennedy assassination, including the House Select Committee on Assassination Report (1978) in 12 or 13 volumes. (Sorry, can't remember exactly.)

The HSCA came to the conclusion that it was probable that Lee Harvey Oswald did not act alone, and that another (unnamed) shooter was involved.

When more than one person is involved and not acting alone, that fits the definition of a conspiracy.

Jack Ruby, who shot Oswald on live TV, denied having ties to organized crime, but a number of books have refuted his words.

Was there a "renegade" arm of the CIA involved? Or just one demented individual making a political statement? Two or more individuals?

Don
May have been Castro's retaliation.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I'm not an expert, but I have to say that there have been countless books, articles, TV documentaries, academic papers, judicial reports and a couple of full-length movies on the JFK assasination over the last 50 years. Is there really anything new to add?
Well, first we can correct 50 years to "almost 50 years."

Let me emphasize that I, too, am no expert.

I don't know if there's anything really new to add, except for a place to express our views on this incident.

Don
Old 04-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I will tell you all what happened...

Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK. He acted alone.

(Shhh this is a highly regarded secret that you can't tell anyone else.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Consipracy theorists ignore the one main rule of conspiracy: When a secret is kept by more than one person, it is no longer secret. We're talking government cover up here. No way that any segment of government is going to go leak free for any appreciable length of time. What was discovered is what there is.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've seen some programs on this, and it's pretty clear to me LHO acted alone. Unsolved History did a nice job on it with some graphics.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Consipracy theorists ignore the one main rule of conspiracy: When a secret is kept by more than one person, it is no longer secret. We're talking government cover up here. No way that any segment of government is going to go leak free for any appreciable length of time. What was discovered is what there is.
I think people in general love to believe in conspiracies as much as they love to believe in alien abductions, supernatural goings-on in the Bermuda Triangle, the evils of Friday the 13th or the luck of a four-leaf clover.

We find it hard to accept that one individual nobody has the power and ability to make such an impact on the entire world, all by himself, without the urging, planning or support of at least one, or many, others. We feel there needs to be something more to it. We can't accept that A did B and caused C, plain and simple, and X, Y, & Z had no role in it.

We also often seem to feel the need to have an incident embellished, exaggerated and sensationalized out of all proportion. If the facts don't have additional bells and whistles, it can't be the entire story.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm pretty sure it was giant ninja squirrels. Hey, it's got as much validity as any other crackpot theory out there.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm pretty sure it was giant ninja squirrels. Hey, it's got as much validity as any other crackpot theory out there.
ok cant hold it in anymore It was jfk that killed jfk from the grassy null

((ahh red dwerf how I love it even the bad ones at the end. ))
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Do you find it conceivable concerning this subject that a theory might not be a crackpot theory? In other words, is every theory a crackpot theory for you when it comes to discussing the JFK assassination?

If you do believe that - and I find no problem with your belief system, personally, really I don't - then unfortunately, no further discussion can be available.

Don
Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
I think that this infomation will be released from the goverement with in the next 100 years. And by then it will be viewed as more history than a conspiracy solved... and the only ones interested enough in it will be historians who will write books/e-books on the subject matter for university students who'd rather be hologram txting each other...
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

When I posted the other day, I was thinking how sad it is that so many people seem to be infatuated with conspiracy theories. After rereading this thread, I am now also saddened that another portion of society is apparently so disgusted with conspiracy theories that they may just as quickly ignore them. Ah, to be human. Does this also explain why our governments, courts, etc. "function" the way they do?