Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Is it resorting *after every add*? Perhaps that's the issue.

The slowdown seems clearly exponential to me; if I add a lot of books, the progress bar moves rapidly at first, then slower and slower.
Hmm it is something in the metadata reading in that case. That susbsytem is also slated for a re-re-write (i'm going to move it into a separate process, instead of jumping through hoops to get it to work in the GUI thread, that should hopefully fix this. Unfortunately because of the currently backed up state of my TODO list, it will be a little while before I get around to doing this.

I think what's happening is that there is some sort of leak in all the SIGNAL passing between the read metadata thread and the main GUI thread. Unfortunately, debugging this sort of thing takes a lot of time and effort, so unless someone is willing to spend the time and effort, it will have to wait till I get around to refactoring it into a separate process.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If it helps at all, I experienced it when I had "read metadata from files" unchecked; it was purely filling metadata from the filenames. But this was a couple of months ago; I haven't tried to add that many books since.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast