Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Newspapers from Amazon

So I have been thinking about getting a newspaper from Amazon but the reviews have not be the greatest. Who actually gets one and what do you think of it. Are the worth it?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
You can get a free 2 week trial and decide for yourself. I used to get my local paper daily but I just didn't read it everyday and felt I was wasting my money.

You can also use Calibre to create your own newspapers from RSS feeds for free. The sample I created was very similar to those offered by Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
jrboddie
jrboddie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can't you buy single issues of newspapers at approximately the newsstand price?
jrboddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboddie View Post
Can't you buy single issues of newspapers at approximately the newsstand price?
Yes you can buy single issues (on the day of publication, not back issues). I've usually paid 75 cents for a single issue but the price may vary depending on the newspaper (I browsed and saw one that was 50 cents).
Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can get a free 2 week trial and decide for yourself. I used to get my local paper daily but I just didn't read it everyday and felt I was wasting my money.

You can also use Calibre to create your own newspapers from RSS feeds for free. The sample I created was very similar to those offered by Amazon.
I cant use Calibre for news at the moment. The ship has a proxy (I am deployed) They do have a trial but connectivity is so horrible it is insane...
Old 03-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I cant use Calibre for news at the moment. The ship has a proxy (I am deployed) They do have a trial but connectivity is so horrible it is insane...
Rats! Well since you do have some internet at least, try to download just one issue. The newspaper issues are very small files, so it shouldn't be too difficult to download (I'm assuming you have a Kindle on board with you).
Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard

I sure do. I even put my 505 away since getting it I have been able to download books from amazon but right now, hell, I feel that I am on dial up. Good thing the site has a mobile version or I would be out of luck lol
Old 03-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Personally, I don't think subscribing to the various papers are worth it. All of this information can be found online and aggregated for free with a bit of work, and usually the quality of the articles is quite good.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Get a free paper every 2 weeks until you run out. Then think about getting a real subscription :0
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Get a free paper every 2 weeks until you run out. Then think about getting a real subscription :0
You get one free 2 week trial per newspaper subscription per Kindle registered to one account. Once the trial period is up you have to cancel or you will be charged.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Canton View Post
Personally, I don't think subscribing to the various papers are worth it. All of this information can be found online and aggregated for free with a bit of work, and usually the quality of the articles is quite good.
In many cases yes, in some no. Financial Times for example. You can get three free articles per month.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Newspapers are boring to me. But I read about 50-60 blogs everyday. The NY Times didn't seem too bad when I tried the trial.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
What's a newspaper?

Haw-haw, your medium is dying.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
What's a newspaper?

Haw-haw, your medium is dying.
You seriously can't be taking joy in deathroes of the medium that brought down Richard Nixon.

Last edited by Slow_hand; 03-22-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Hey, the telegram helped get Lincoln elected, but no one cries over its demise.

But seriously, no I do not lament the demise of newspapers in their paper form. I think online and RSS are a good way for them to continue to survive in a new form, however.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote