Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
mjposner
mjposner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and iPhone
My Latest Kindle work now live!!!

MAS Publishing is proud to offer the latest work from the world's oldest lawyer, Hugh L. Dewey, Esq., of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U890QG

Comments welcome!!!
mjposner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations, mjposner

short quote from Amazon..
" Kindle Price: $3.99

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
The finest collection of jokes and stories about the world's greatest profession: Lawyers. With page after page of sidesplitting tales and featuring a detailed discussion on Sharks and Lawyers, and the exclusive Short History of Lawyers.

Some Lawyers are People Too! is considered eminent jurist, Hugh L. Dewey's finest legal work. Dewey, world famous Senior Partner at Dewey, Cheatam & Howe started practicing law in 1902 and has outlasted all of his contemporaries. With a perfect courtroom record, his expertise is unmatched.

Doctors, accountants and other professions will get the last laugh in this hilarious work. Even lawyers with a sense of humor will appreciate most of this work.

NOTE: No lawyers were harmed in the making of this work."

Unfortunately, I don't have a Kindle and am only buying ebooks for my Sony
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
MAS Publishing is proud to offer the latest work from the world's oldest lawyer, Hugh L. Dewey, Esq., of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe:

Comments welcome!!!
Is there any chance this eBook could be sold elsewhere in other formats for those who do not have access to eBook on Amazon?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Comments welcome!!!

No doubt there is a rational explanation as to why a book on lawyers is limited to a select clientele? - i.e. only those with a Kindle or two ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
mjposner

I will provide this book in pdf format shortly.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deleted content by me since Lemurion said it much nicer.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-13-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently: iPhone 3GS (no SIM); Acer 700 Tablet; Kindle 4 (Black)
Quote:
I will provide this book in pdf format shortly.
Thank you for considering something other than Kindle, but please be aware that for many of us going to PDF is simply adding insult to injury. A very large number of Mobileread members use portable devices that do not handle PDF well if at all.

For many of us it's a choice between a version we're not allowed to use and a version we're not able to use.

Not much choice there.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
mjposner

Please see my new website www.mjposner.com/mas

Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
JSWolf
Suspended

I was hoping your new website would provide formats for non Kindle users. But I guess not.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was hoping your new website would provide formats for non Kindle users. But I guess not.
to be fair, Jon, it does include PDF !!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Ah now -- after sending $3.99 to Posner (I'd like to be more polite but don't know whether to say Mr. Posner or Ms. Posner), you can print off your own copy of the book from the PDF file.

Of course, I'm wondering if Posner obtained the intellectual property rights to "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe" from Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers. From their web site at www.cartalk.com, it clearly states, "CAR TALK, DEWEY, CHEETHAM & HOWE, SHAMELESS COMMERCE, and WARPED DISCS are registered trademarks, and CLICK AND CLACK is a trademark, of Tom and Ray Magliozzi and/or Tappet Brothers Associates d/b/a Dewey, Cheetham & Howe." Does simply changing the spelling from "Cheetham" to "Cheatum" avoid any trademark problems?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
BookMouse
BookMouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
DEWEY, CHEETHAM & HOWE
I'm not 100% sure they coined it -- he who registers wins -- as I recall hearing the name of that 'law firm' when I was in grade-school which predates CarTalk (and most modern technology). I don't think they could do much to go after him considering that it's long-since passed into the national lexicon without their lawyers getting involved -- to keep it, you have to defend it.

Last edited by BookMouse; 03-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.
BookMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
mjposner

My Website content

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

You can get the books in pdf format.

All books clearly state:

To purchase in .pdf format, please send $XXXX via paypal to:
mjposner@mjposner.com
Upon payment we will send the book via e-mail within one business day
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
mjposner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Ah now -- after sending $3.99 to Posner (I'd like to be more polite but don't know whether to say Mr. Posner or Ms. Posner), you can print off your own copy of the book from the PDF file.

Of course, I'm wondering if Posner obtained the intellectual property rights to "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe" from Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers. From their web site at www.cartalk.com, it clearly states, "CAR TALK, DEWEY, CHEETHAM & HOWE, SHAMELESS COMMERCE, and WARPED DISCS are registered trademarks, and CLICK AND CLACK is a trademark, of Tom and Ray Magliozzi and/or Tappet Brothers Associates d/b/a Dewey, Cheetham & Howe." Does simply changing the spelling from "Cheetham" to "Cheatum" avoid any trademark problems?

I wrote this book in 1992 originally, predating Click and Clack:

Word Mark DEWEY, CHEETHAM & HOWE
Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: T-shirts, sweatshirts and hats. FIRST USE: 19950901. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950901

Therefore I have a first use common law trademark.

Second you can have multiple matching names so long as there is no confusion in the consumer mind. My use is a lawyer/writer, there use is for clothing.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
mjposner

Dewey Cheatum & Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookMouse View Post
I'm not 100% sure they coined it -- he who registers wins -- as I recall hearing the name of that 'law firm' when I was in grade-school which predates CarTalk (and most modern technology). I don't think they could do much to go after him considering that it's long-since passed into the national lexicon without their lawyers getting involved -- to keep it, you have to defend it.
Actually, you do not have to register to assert a common law trademark. Also, they did not assert use until 1995, after I wrote my book!