Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Star Trek books

A question for those Star Trek fans among us (Jon?):

When I go to FictionWise, click on the "Star Trek" link, and view one of the "series" listings (eg the "Next Generation" series), the list seems to stop with books published in 2002. Same with all the other Star Trek series - no books appear to be added to them in the last 5 or 6 years.

Does that simply mean that FW are not very good at keeping their series lists up to date, or have there really been no ST books published for the last 5 or 6 years? If the former, are there any better sites for showing the current "state" of the various ST series books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is Fictionwise. The way they have things organized when you select Star Trek is an absolute mess with no order to things.

The best way to find out the newer Star Trek eBooks is to search by title witht he term Star Trek. Then sort by FW Release Date(recent first) You will see the newer eBooks at the top of the list. They are there. Just don't use the Star trek link on the left. They really need to redo it badly. It's just going to lose sales if you use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Jon - I felt sure that you'd know!

Much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Happy to help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So is this your first foray into Trek Books. While you could read them by the numbers there are some authors who's books are much better than most.

Diane Duane, Peter David, LA Graph, JM Dillard, Christie Golden.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are the older ones out as ebooks? I seem to remember liking some by A.C. Crispin many years ago.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are the older ones out as ebooks? I seem to remember liking some by A.C. Crispin many years ago.
5 of hers are in the Kindle store, so I assume available elsewhere. I think Yesterday Son and Time For Yesterday are pretty old (80s).

BOb
Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So is this your first foray into Trek Books. While you could read them by the numbers there are some authors who's books are much better than most.

Diane Duane, Peter David, LA Graph, JM Dillard, Christie Golden.

BOb
Oh no, certainly not the first foray. Many years ago I used to read them all (in fact I still have a large bookcase full of "original" Star Trek books), but they got a bit "repetitive" and I stopped reading them. Just felt like reading a few of the newer ones for the sake of "nostalgia", especially since there are several series of them (like the SCE series) which are new since I last read Trek books.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The SCE series is a lot of fun, Harry. It ain't Shakespeare, but it goes down quick and easy. And there is lots of it.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but they got a bit "repetitive" and I stopped reading them.
I'm right there with you Harry. Same thing with me. How many times can they use the plot? The answer apparently was "a lot."

I would recommend the "New Frontier" series by Peter David. Mostly new characters with a few "guest stars" from the TV Show now having major roles. Good stuff.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
I'm right there with you Harry. Same thing with me. How many times can they use the plot? The answer apparently was "a lot."
I guess, though, that one of the problems with books of this type is that the author isn't allowed to actually "change" anything, which rather restricts the plot availability. You have to end the book with the "world" the same as it was at the start.

Quote:
I would recommend the "New Frontier" series by Peter David. Mostly new characters with a few "guest stars" from the TV Show now having major roles. Good stuff.
Thanks - that's another one of the series which is new since I last read them. All there was at the time I stopped reading were the "original" Trek books, and the "Next Generation" ones.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The only thing to watch out for Harry is that the SCE books are pretty short. Most are only novellas at around 20K words where the average novel is probably 80-100K words.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The only thing to watch out for Harry is that the SCE books are pretty short. Most are only novellas at around 20K words where the average novel is probably 80-100K words.
Yes, get the SCE omnibuses. That is also the best bang for buck.

BOb
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just felt like reading a few of the newer ones for the sake of "nostalgia", especially since there are several series of them (like the SCE series) which are new since I last read Trek books.
I see. I really enjoyed "The Captains Table" sub-series. These were all good storys. But I thought the Voyager/Janeway was the best Captain's Table story.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Voyager Did Have the best story, that series had alot of heart. Now its cliche, but I cry every time i watch the finale.

this the book your talking about bob? http://www.amazon.com/Tales-From-the...ref=kinw_dp_ke

any other books you can suggest me? I prefer Voy or DS9, but i like them all.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote