Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Sony Ebook Library Problems? Come Here First

Many people come here with problems with the Sony Ebook Library software, and I've noticed the answer almost always is this.

Doing the Following seems to solve, Connection Issues, Sync Issues, and Crashing Issues.
(to help with Google Searches find their answer as this site ranks pretty high on google)
Ebook Library Crashing
Ebook Library Can't Connect
Ebook Library Can't Sync

Quote:
To help correct your issue with the eBooks software please follow the
below steps:

Go to Start>Control Panel and open Add/Remove programs. Find and
uninstall/remove "eBook Library by Sony".

Open My Computer.
Go to Tools>Folder Options.
Click View and select “Show hidden files and folders” and click ok

Please delete the following folders as listed below:

For XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%( i.e. you windows log in name)
\Local Settings\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Sony Corporation
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library

For Vista

C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html
Also If you are having Connection Issues, Or Charging Issues with your Reader, make sure you are using the USB cable that came with your reader, this seems to solve all these issues too.

Last edited by Andybaby; 03-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I just had the crashing bug for the first time. to resolve it i had do rename C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Sony Corporation

to something else, this folder is where the library database is stored, so you loose everything when it happens.

So i sugget make backups of this file if you keep alot of collections, just in case.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Thanks, I knew I read this here before. Today I was adding some files and it crashed. I could restart the app, but it would error out as soon as I clicked on library. I knew it was a corrupt file, but I couldn't remember all the files to delete, just kinoma. I deleted everything in your post and reinstalled the software. Added my files and all is good.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
ekelly23
ekelly23 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Seriously this is the best website in the history of websites. This is the second time I've had problems with my reader and found my answer here after sony wasn't able to help. Thanks guys!
ekelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Andy -

What type of sync issues? The double/triple/to infinity and beyond duplicating books on the reader? Or the just failure to sync completely
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelly23 View Post
Seriously this is the best website in the history of websites. This is the second time I've had problems with my reader and found my answer here after sony wasn't able to help. Thanks guys!

Welcome to MobileRead, ekelly23, and thank you for the compliments about MobileRead.

MobileRead is popular for a number of reasons, but without people who view it, then the Forums here would not be of much value to anyone.

If you're not already aware of it, we have over 11,000 free and public domain titles, most assembled with loving care and attention to the overall look of these ebooks. They're also available in many popular formats.

Again, thank you for your kind words about the site.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
toneebell
toneebell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ebook reader
I did what andybaby said and for me it did not work. But I noticed but I dragged and dropped the files from library to the reader they appeared in the reader window. I checked by changing the view in the library to list view and clicking on the thumbnails to open the books. On a couple of the books I made with calbre, the book was not there, just the thumbnail. Ebook library was trying to transfer abook that was not there. For some reason the file did not copy. Tried it again and all the books synchronized properly, maybe this will help someone else.
toneebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
just_kev
just_kev began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Great Stuff, this is what I was hoping to find and this worked for me.
But please be patient.
How do I now get the books on my reader back in the Library?
More reading......
There is so much to read....
Good job it is one of the things I enjoy, lol.
just_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
toneebell
toneebell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ebook reader
When you plug your reader cable into the usb port, a window will open up with two folders inside just as if you had plugged in a usb drive. One is named database and the other is named digital editions. Click on the database folder and in the next window; three more folders open up. Click on the media folder, and the next folder you will see is called books. Open it up and there are your ebooks, you can select them and copy them to another folder. Note: I have not downloaded any ebooks from the sony store. I used Calibre (a very good conversion program) to make my own ebooks. That is the content I have in my ebook library. I do not know if this will work for purchased books. I hope that this will help you recover the books from your ereader. This is the path to the books in my ereader when the folder comes up.
I:\database\media\books
If the window does not open up go to my computer, and click on the ebook reader icon in there, and follow the steps above.
toneebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
sinkleir
sinkleir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
help

I have a PRS-700, I'm having troubles getting it to read the books on the SD card I installed in it, they show up in the library application.. but when i boot up the reader, it shows only the 18 books i have on the internal memory..

what do i have to do to read the books from the memory card? that must be possible, otherwise it'd be dumb to have the memory card slot there >_>

Last edited by sinkleir; 11-26-2009 at 02:15 PM.
sinkleir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
scarter
scarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
The first time that the Library software died, these suggestions worked. However, this time it doesn't load.

I'm running Windows Vista with all of the service packs installed on a Dell Inspiron 530, and hadn't tried to access the Sony ebook library application for several weeks. When I did, Vista's "waiting" circle spun for a moment and then - nothing. The Task Manager says that both the ebook Library Launcher and ebook library applications are running, but there's nothing on the screen. I tried (three times) to uninstall and reinstall the program, and deleted all of the files recommended here and changed the IE security settings per Sony's website. No joy.

Is there something that came with Microsoft's latest patches that might cause this program to suddenly stop loading?
scarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
llau
llau began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
Hello, due to prior ebook library crashes, I have tried to use the above illustrated approach and it worked perfectly, THANKS! However, I have couple synchronised folders now in ebook which I cannot delete since it pops up error message saying that I need to delete the original folder and syn library with reader in order to delete the folders in reader... BUT I don't have those folders in the library anymore!!!! Can anyone please help? Thanks
llau is offline   Reply With Quote