Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FHDX8.9, FHD7.1, Nex7.2, Nex4, Kin4S, ClipZip
Bye Bye Pandora, Hello Slacker

Last Friday, I reached the 40 hour monthly cap for free ad-supported listening that Pandora has imposed on mobile devices. So I switched to Slacker and probably won't look back. I must drop Pandora an email thanking them for turning me on to Slacker.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook*, nexus 10
You get ads on Slacker, don't you?

I use both Slacker and Sky FM, as Pandora has no love for Canada.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You get ads on Slacker, don't you?

I use both Slacker and Sky FM, as Pandora has no love for Canada.
Yep, still get ads. At least they don't cap mobile use to 40 hrs/month. I can easily burn through that within a month. This time, it only took me 12 days to max out.

Never tried Sky FM.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook*, nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Never tried Sky FM.
Give it a try. You only get one interruption per hour or thereabouts, something like 30 seconds to advertise their paid service, which offers higher quality streams.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Tube, what happens when you reach 40 hours on Pandora? Do they just shut off your account or put the ads back on it? I get mine through Roku and have noticed that the ads aren't there anymore.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Tube, what happens when you reach 40 hours on Pandora? Do they just shut off your account or put the ads back on it? I get mine through Roku and have noticed that the ads aren't there anymore.
If you have a paid account, you have unlimited streaming. This limit only applies to free accounts streaming on mobile devices. When you reach the 40-hour limit, you're given several options: pay $0.99 to finish listening for the rest of the month (with ads) or continue free listening on your computer (with ads) or upgrade to a paid account (no ads) or quit listening until the next month begins.

Pandora implemented the 40-hour limit for free ad-supported mobile streams, because they said they're not generating enough income to support that model.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-17-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Give it a try. You only get one interruption per hour or thereabouts, something like 30 seconds to advertise their paid service, which offers higher quality streams.
Thanks; I'll give it a shot

edit: Just signed up and am listening to "Best of the 60s" now. So far, so good.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-17-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If you have a paid account, you have unlimited streaming. This limit only applies to free accounts streaming on mobile devices. When you reach the 40-hour limit, you're given several options: pay $0.99 to finish listening for the rest of the month (with ads) or continue free listening on your computer (with ads) or upgrade to a paid account (no ads) or quit listening until the next month begins.

Pandora implemented the 40-hour limit for free ad-supported mobile streams, because they said they're not generating enough income to support that model.
Okay. I guess I don't listen to it enough then. I've not run into this limit yet where I had to make a decision.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Okay. I guess I don't listen to it enough then. I've not run into this limit yet where I had to make a decision.
Most people don't. I'm a power user. I could pay for it, but I have a limit on entertainment spending and a music subscription would put me over that limit. Since there are other free options out there, I see no need to rearrange my entertainment budget.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook, Galaxy 4mini phone
Interesting. I have Pandora for my computer at home, but never really use it on my phone. I think I'll try Sky FM to see how they are.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Update: Well, I stopped listening to Sky FM because of the way they played the ads. I don't mind one minute ads at all; but I do mind when the ad consumes the first minute of the next song. When the ad finishes, the next song has already been playing for a minute. What's with that?

And my biggest gripe with Slacker is that they're playing way too many songs that are not the original recordings. That's a no go.

So for now, I'm going back to pre-programmed stations form AOL Radio and TuneIn Radio. My favorite genres are British Invasion and Classic Rock.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I have no problem paying the 32 or 35 or whatever it is a year to listen to Pandora. I can listen to it at work, at home, on my cell phone, on my fire, no worries, no commercials, and I play it MY WAY.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote