Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Kindle 2 bug?

I have a huge number of books on my Kindle 2 already (919 is what it says). I carefully used Mobi2Mobi to add author to the books for which it was missing.

I have around 5 books which simply refuse to move to their proper place in the book list and the Kindle does not seem to think they have an author in their metadata, though Mobi2Mobi insists that it is there. Mobireader (the one on my desktop) sees it too...

I know the original Kindle had difficulties handling large book lists. I am starting to wonder if this one has the same problem. If so, it need to be fixed because I still have room for lots more books...

Anyone else finding any potential problems?

(Trust me to stress test the device when it's less than a day old...hee hee)
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only thing remotely like this I have heard of is "updatedtitle", see Mobi2Mobi v0.13 - GUI for Mobiperl tools. So you may want to check all the metadata to see what is there (perhaps two author entries for example). Another possibility is that the "Book Type" is set incorrectly, see Folders on Kindle, Calibre metadata question.

I think what I would do (just for these few ebooks) is convert the MOBI to ePub using Calibre's command line any2epub (specifying the author and title), and then back to MOBI using any2mobi.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Yes this is my bad, the problem is not in the Kindle, it's somewhere in either Mobi2Mobi or the GUI. These files were not MOBI files, they were PRC ones, and while the tool claimed to update the info, it did not do so in a manner the Kindle could see.

I ended up adding the PRC files to Calibre, converting them to MOBI, and putting those on the Kindle. All is well now.

(Though if Amazon would give us a way to do this stuff in the reader itself, we wouldn't NEED all these third party tools, grump grump...what the heck is this keyboard here for anyway???)

Last edited by mdibella; 02-25-2009 at 03:31 PM.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, it would be nice to fix the "professional" errors, too -- in one of my books Kim Harrison shows up as Kim, Harrison which is quite annoying.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote