Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the extended warranty?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 50 60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I never buy them for my electronics.

My philosophy is that over the years the cost of replacing the things that break outside of the 1 year default warranties will be less than the total cost of buying extended warranties for everything.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #32
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It depends on how likely you think you are to break your Kindle. In my case I think it's pretty high.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #33
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
i never considered the warrenty until my first serious drop the other day, ooops. The first thing i did after checking my baby was ok, was to go straight to amazon and get the extended warranty
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #34
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I generally don't buy extended warranty for electronics, but I can see why it's a good idea for a Kindle. These babies are so small and fragile. Gf carries it everywhere and it's just a matter of time before something terrible happens.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #35
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.dmaul1114 knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, the fact that it covers accidental damage does make warranty more worthwhile than those for most electronics. Most for TVs, blu ray players, computers etc. don't cover accidental damage--just defects that cause it to break after the first year.

So the Kindle 2 warranty is more worthwhile than most, and probably work it if you carry yours around a ton and replacing it would be a big financial burden.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #36
nicktf
nicktf has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Speaking as someone who has dropped his Kindle2

...I wish I'd bought it.
nicktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #37
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I waited until I was totally satisfied that the Kindle 2 would become a major factor in my life (e.g. replace 90% of my book purchases) then purchased the extended warranty. If the Kindle had not had such a major impact on my lifestyle I wouldn't have gotten the extension.

It is now one of those things I "need" (up there with food and air).
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #38
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Paid $63 for 3 years with Accidental Handling. If it malfunctions I get it replaced free an unlimited # of times. If *I* break it accidentally, I pay $50 and get a new, unlimited times for those 3 years at $50 a pop.

Gotta love Squaretrade

I have a DX. Having the warranty makes me use it A LOT MORE because without a Warranty I'd never take it outside of the house.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote