Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
timothy
Inveterate Reader
timothy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony book sort

I bought a PRS-505 and downloaded a lot of classics from their E-book store. The books are sorted by first name, not last name. This must be some sort of ghastly joke by Sony. Is there any way to fix it?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook-ST, Sony 505 & T1, Kobo Aura & Aura HD
Nope, that's just Sony's way! Sorry!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I sort by title. I can never remember authors for half my books anyway.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
You can create collections which will make it easier to find books. I have my books sorted into about 5 categories.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
Rollin' with the punches
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, droid x, sad damaged 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
You can create collections which will make it easier to find books. I have my books sorted into about 5 categories.
I create collections also. I have a few collections by author, and other by genre or some other category that makes sense to me.

I was also extremely annoyed by the "sorting by first name" thing. I also noticed that if the book was given a name like "Dickens, Charles" it would put it under D for Dickens. But if I had another book by same author that was listed as "Charles Dickens," it would put it under C for Charles. Whichever word is first is the word that is used to put it into order. I saw someone mention on here once that it was probably because Japanese names were in a different order. I'm not sure how true that is, but it sort of makes sense.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura (soon), (soon-to-be-ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
The really odd thing is that Sony's ebook format (LRF/LRX) has a field whose most obvious use would be to serve as a sort key for author names... and Sony's firmware ignores it! Go figure.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote