Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Sticky Page Turn...

hi...
I noticed recently that when I clicked my page-turner, the green light flashed, but often the page would stubbornly remain the same.
In the end I had to hold it down for quite long before I could persuade it to turn.

Going on the principle of thinking about what I'd done recently, I remembered putting a 2-Gb card into the slot, and removed it to see it it was responsible for the 'sticky page turn'.

Sure enough, the Page Turner is no longer sticky, and it shifts onto the next page straight away.

But it's a bit irritating, knowing that I have to remove the card to get a crisp turn!

Any comments or solutions here?

Regards

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What firmware version do you have? "Missed" page turns used to be a significant issue in earlier firmware versions, but they seem to have solved it in firmware version 796.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
andavane
Zealot

Hi Harry...
How do I find out which firmware I have?
Regards
John
Old 02-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the library screen, display the menu, then select "Advanced", then "About...". The firmware version number is on that screen.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
andavane
Zealot

It says:

Quote:
Cybook Gen3
Version: s3c2440 (400MHz)
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, that's the type of CPU you have. What's the firmware version? It'll be a number, like "796" or "820". I think it's displayed as the version of the "Boo Reader".
Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
andavane
Zealot

Version: 1.2 (build 820).
Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Ah. So Bookeen broke page turning once again...
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Harry, haven't you said before that this is also a problem for at least some of us with Cybooks with the 64MB?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
hi...
I noticed recently that when I clicked my page-turner, the green light flashed, but often the page would stubbornly remain the same.
In the end I had to hold it down for quite long before I could persuade it to turn.

Regards

John
For what it is worth I have a similar experience, but think it is more related to the four way button on the lower right of the Cybook. If I press the right edge in just the right place the page turns quickly; if not then I may have to hold the button down or try again.

On a somewhat related topic has anyone noticed that the chrome is flaking off the four way button on the Cybook?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
On a somewhat related topic has anyone noticed that the chrome is flaking off the four way button on the Cybook?
Me... And only a year old...
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Harry, haven't you said before that this is also a problem for at least some of us with Cybooks with the 64MB?
We're talking about two distinct problems here:

In earlier versions of the firmware (pre-796) there was definitely a firmware issue resulting in missed button presses. This appears to have been almost entirely solved in 796, and this is the first report we've had (I believe) that it may have recurred in post-796 firmware.

Some 64MB Gen3's had "sticky" navigation buttons, which could also result in missed keystrokes, entirely separate from the firmware issue.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
andavane
Zealot

Hi
Just reminding that the problem only occurred when a 2 Gb SD card was in its slot, and that once the card was removed, the pages turned normally.
Nonetheless it is a bit annoying, knowing what will most likely happen if I need to reinsert the card.

As Alex Bell says, the way the 4-way button is held may be relevant, as I recall that holding the button for longer definitely resulted in a page 'turn'.

The chrome flaking off is, as Harry says, a separate issue.

Regards

John
Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
Hi
Just reminding that the problem only occurred when a 2 Gb SD card was in its slot, and that once the card was removed, the pages turned normally.
Nonetheless it is a bit annoying, knowing what will most likely happen if I need to reinsert the card.
This is pretty strange. Were you reading a book from the card or from the internal memory when it happened with the card in the Cybook?

Maybe you should try another SD card. But I do not see how a failure to read or a read that takes more time should give these kind of symptom.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This is pretty strange. Were you reading a book from the card or from the internal memory when it happened with the card in the Cybook?

Maybe you should try another SD card. But I do not see how a failure to read or a read that takes more time should give these kind of symptom.
There wasn't anything on the card at all; I'll insert it again, and try another card, and see what happens.