Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
Ralph Sir Edward
Gentleman & Cynic
Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, CYbook 3rd gen awaiting RTF software upgrade
I hope you get to feeling better...Umm, maybe you shouldn't drive 70 in a residential area? (That's a joke. Pioneer humor. Put down the tort....)
Ralph Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
sweet baby jesus on a cracker ENOUGH WITH THE INJURIES ALREADY !!! my god woman, this is getting ridiculous ! hey... you don't think... the evil developper put him up to it ???

take care of yourself, get lots of rest, don't skimp on the pain medication, and for the love of squirrels BE CAREFUL !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm glad you're not deaed, because I'm pretty certain you did not file the appropriate paperwork in advance for an extended absence due to lack of vital signs with MR Central Processing. We can be quite sticky about that.

Heal up and get back to us quickly, RM!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
MeThinks tomorrow RM is going to be one hurting puppy.

Hope you have lots of pain meds, my girl......
I agree. And I think after the law suit, she'll also be one well off girl (financially).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Glad you are ok and hope none of the injuries are permanent.

Anyway, get a lawyer and sue the hell out the the trucking company.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh Honey, that sounds just awful! It's a miracle that you are alive, and whether you like it or not, I'm saying a prayer of thanks that you survived, because you mean so much to me.

You missed your calling. You should have been a Hollywood stunt woman.

In that whole menagerie of yours, by any chance do you have a helper monkey to bring you snacks and pain meds?

And I remember when you cleaned out your basement. I'm sure you have a couple more phones lying around down there to match the one you broke.

FEEL BETTER SOON!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone. Strangely, except for my left wrist, I am doing better today. The EMTs told me to expect substantial pain in my chest where the air bag hit me, but there is no pain at all there.

I had a lot of Vicodin and Oxy left over from the elbow injuries a few months ago, so I got through the night just fine. With the wrist splinted, I can even do my chores. One neighbor is coming over at night to help me clean litter boxes. I can't lift them right now.

One of the County Sheriff's dept saw the whole thing happen, so the other side is not going to dispute fault. They agree that it was all on the truck driver.

I'm not going to sue them. I'll take what the insurance companies give me and just get a new car. Believe it or not, except for the evil developer, I've never sued anyone. Got run over once ... didn't sue him. Was in a plane crash with an impaired pilot ... didn't sue him either. It's just not me to do that sort of thing.

I did tell the insurance company that they should impress upon the other guys that I lost about $1700 worth of computer equipment (including my iPhone), and that I expected them to reimburse me for that.

I doubt that medical expences will be much over $1000.

The truck driver just did a really stupid thing. I feel about it more or less the same way I did back when I was raped. Better it should happen to me, than to someone who couldn't handle it. I've faced death plenty of times, and I just relax ... go zen ... and let what I can't control happen. Then, when it's over, I let it go and move on.

If you ever get a chance, watch the movie "Unbreakable." I'm one of those types. I've always been the one that crawls out of the rubble, and says "Wow!! Now that was interesting!"

I have to go to the wrecking yard today to get some more stuff out of the car. I'll try to remember to bring my camera so I can post a picture. I wish my iPhone hadn't broken ... the shot I really wanted was with the car stuck under the semi's gas tank and the fuel leaking all over it. Would have been so much more dramatic.

OK .... must stop typing. Wrist is starting to argue with me.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
acprinter
Zealot
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I hope your ereader was home and safe.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I hope your ereader was home and safe.
Matter of fact ... it was!! Yaaaaaay!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #25
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Ricky, I can only echo all the other sentiment. MR would be lonely without you. Since (I know that) you know a good lawyer (her name is Rick or something like that), I think you should sue, for mental anguish at not being able to post on MR, if nothing else. That should be worth a few million. Think of the cats you could save with that, maybe even buy out all the local opposition to a multitude of cats.

Get better and know we love you.

slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #26
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Ricky, glad you survived that one. Better to lose an iPhone than your head.

BTW, you'll be stunned at the cost of replacing the iPhone if you are still on contract. I lost mine in late December and had to pay $500 for a replacement. Fortunately it was covered by my Household Insurance.
MickeyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
"Well, THAT happened." You should have that engraved and hung over your desk.

If you're not going to sue, then we should. For alienation of affection and other legal sounding bits. Know a good lawyer?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Oh ...I hadn't thought of that. Although I'd have to eat the deductible.

I replaced my iPhone on the wayhome last night. I think it was closer to $600.

And Slayda, thanks. It's really nice to know that there are people outthere who value me.

I can post a little, just not much. My left wrist can't handle the weight of my hand over the keyboard for long.

I'd take some meds, but I have to drive, and I don't want to be impaired.

Had a shower and assessed the damage. Cuts all over the right side, all superficial. Left side bruises on my shoulder and upper chest. Left ankle, knee and wrist swollen and bruised.

That's it. Wait until you see the photo of the car. You will go .... whoaaaaa, dude!!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura (soon), (soon-to-be-ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone. Strangely, except for my left wrist, I am doing better today. The EMTs told me to expect substantial pain in my chest where the air bag hit me, but there is no pain at all there.

[SNIP]

One of the County Sheriff's dept saw the whole thing happen, so the other side is not going to dispute fault. They agree that it was all on the truck driver.

I'm not going to sue them. I'll take what the insurance companies give me and just get a new car. Believe it or not, except for the evil developer, I've never sued anyone. Got run over once ... didn't sue him. Was in a plane crash with an impaired pilot ... didn't sue him either. It's just not me to do that sort of thing.

[SNIP]

Super glad to hear that you are more-or-less OK!

On the subject of suing (or not), you may wish to consider an alternate approach. I'll tell you the tale that inspires this approach, and you'll get the idea...

On of my colleagues (we'll call him John -- not his real name!) was arriving at work on a snowy day. He parked in the parking lot at work and got out of his car -- carrying a glass jar full of soup for his lunch. Half-way across the parking lot he slipped on some ice and fell. When he hit the ground, the glass jar broke and badly cut his hand. Some important details here:
  • Our company rented office space from a big developer.
  • It was still snowing. The lot had been plowed and salted more than once since the storm began, but the plows weren't keeping up.
  • City and state plows weren't keeping up on the roads, either.
John says he felt like a total idiot for holding on to his soup instead of tossing the bottle when he felt himself begin to fall. He knew perfectly well that holding a glass container while you fall is... contraindicated. At best. So John goes to the hospital, gets himself stitched up, and thinks nothing of it.

About a month later, he gets a call from the developer's lawyers wanting to know when he'll be filing the lawsuit.

"What lawsuit? It was my own damn fault for not being careful on my way across the parking lot!" says John.

The lawyers insisted that they needed a proper release to close the matter out. John offered to sign any reasonably paperwork. Their response was along the lines of "we need to pay you as part of the settlement, or else we'd still be open to you filing a lawsuit later on. How much do you want?"

John argued and argued (really! I heard some of the phone-calls) but the lawyers insisted. They had to pay him enough that it was a plausible settlement. (Note: they'd already covered his medical expenses by reimbursing the insurance company. This was about paying him directly.)

In the end, John said "Pay me whatever you think is the smallest amount that will avoid future liability on your part. I won't argue about the amount."

After signing the appropriate papers, he got a check for a surprisingly large amount of money. It didn't quite reach five figures (in the early '90s; about $13K in todays $$).

So, Ricky, don't sue them. Instead, I suggest that you let the trucking company pay you whatever their lawyers think is the minimum to close out a settlement in their opinion. They set the price on the settlement, you just take the money. Over and above your actual expenses, of course. If it violates your morals too badly, you can always find a good cause to donate to.

Xenophon

P.S. "John" is not me, nor am I "John." Really a colleague, not me.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
you just take the money. Over and above your actual expenses, of course. If it violates your morals too badly, you can always find a good cause to donate to.

Xenophon

P.S. "John" is not me, nor am I "John." Really a colleague, not me.
I hear the DixieGal Foundation is accepting donations. I have a new mouth in the family - The Love Shack - which costs $77 to fill the tank. (See some other post with the pic of Tim's new motorhome, a big behemoth.)

And Xenophon: Nice to see you out from under the hood!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote