Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Warning from Amazon?

I had the following message pop up when trying to go to Amazon this afternoon. Has anyone else gotten such a message?

Quote:
Attention Amazon Visitor,

Data Security Breach Information

We want to make you aware of a significant incident that has occurred. There was a massive system breach at Global Payments, a company that processes credit card transactions for a number of companies, including Visa, Mastercard, American express, Discover and other major credit card brands. Files containing personal credit card information were compromised. We are urging you to check your credit card details immediately for any activity that you did not authorize.

To help protect you , we have made your 3 Bureau Credit Check available today at no charge. Please be aware that your free credit check include free credit score and all detailed credit information!
Thought I'd pass it on in case there is actually something to worry about.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW/DX/iPad2/5S/Tab3 Past:NewtonOMP>N120> Palm3>3c> iPAQ3850>Droid>K3
I didn't get that... was it a popup? A message on the main screen?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure how I got it to appear actually. I clicked on one of my tabs and it opened up in another tab. I did check my Amazon and my bank and apparently I haven't been compromised. At least there are no odd charges on my card. I don't know if it's a pishing scam or a real warning, but I thought I'd better pass it on in either event. To warn about either a potential leak or a potential scam.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
smells like phish to me!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

It could be. I don't know. Either way better forewarned than not I think. If it is real then others will know to check to make sure their info. is safe and if not then they will no not to accidentally give away info. that could lead to troubles down the road.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
I've had no warnings.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"To help protect you , we have made your 3 Bureau Credit Check available today at no charge. Please be aware that your free credit check include free credit score and all detailed credit information!"

The above I copied from your post. Thats a red flag in my book....doesn't sound like anything Amazon would do.

I've been on and off Amazon all day for school stuff...nothing of the sort has popped up.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x3)
To my cynical mind, they may as well have added, "And do you want to buy a bridge?".
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Well I didn't click on anything for a free check. I went to Amazon and my bank's website to check at those sites. It doesn't surprise me that it might be pishing. I once got an email (that was supposed to be from Ebay) that didn't look right. They had misspelled something that sent red flags up for me. There is always someone out there willing to take advantage of others via the net I'm sure. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
TimW
Guru
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHD8.9, KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Did it look like this?

Phisherman.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote