Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Harvey

Greetings, fellow forumites, I come bearing gifts (well, almost).

Those of you that followed the Indexeses thread know that almost six months ago, I started work on an indexing program intended for e-books.

I said then that I'd create a separate thread to announce when I had something sensible to release, and that time has come.

In the next couple of days, I'll post a link here along with instructions for anyone who wants to try the Beta version.

In the meantime, any questions should be either added here, or you can email harvey@nightisland.com if you prefer.

See you all soon...
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Ladies and Gents, the beta version of Harvey (and his web site) is now available.

Please direct your browsers to http://www.nightisland.com/harvey and give him a try.

If you want the standalone version that can connect to any database system and runs on Java (so any system should be able to use it), just download the main Harvey file.

If, instead, you want the embedded database version so that you don't have to install anything or configure anything, then you can additionally download the Embedded Database Files. Extract this second zip file into the same directory that Harvey was extracted into, and it will ask to replace one file (DB.class) and copy a few additional files. Then you're done.

As before any feedback here or to harvey@nightisland.com would be appreciated!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A few questions?

Is there an uninstall included with this download, or can it be simply uninstalled by deleting a folder?

Will it make any changes to my registry or my services that can not be easily undone.

Thanks.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Thanks for the questions.

Removing it is just a case of deleting the folder you extracted the two zip files into (assuming you go for the embedded database version).

It has no impact on your system other than the disk space it consumes. No registry entries, no services, not even any hidden files.

Ian
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
Thanks for the questions.

Removing it is just a case of deleting the folder you extracted the two zip files into (assuming you go for the embedded database version).

It has no impact on your system other than the disk space it consumes. No registry entries, no services, not even any hidden files.

Ian
Thanks, I think I'll try it out.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
kenmark
Addict

Another question..

At the risk of making me appear stupid, can you please elaborate on the difference between a built-in database and an external one. (There are 2 options for downloading for Windows.)

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
NetSlut
Connoisseur

My colleague has also pointed out the lack of clarity on this, so please don't worry about appearing stupid.

Basically, if you already have a database set up somewhere, you may prefer to use that to hold your eBook library. This is what I've termed an external database. If this is what you have, just download the first Harvey archive.

On the other hand, if you want Harvey to include its' own database (mySQL) and set everything up so it doesn't require any configuration and it's all self-contained, that's the embedded database version, and requires you to download *BOTH* the first Harvey archive, *AND* the embedded database files (for Windows or Mac, whatever you're running).

Ian
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Nothing to see, move along

(Yes, just noticed there is a Mac download :blushesevenmore: )

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 02-17-2009 at 07:55 PM.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Absolutely. Download the main program (the first thing in the list) and extract it somewhere of your choice, and then download the Mac embedded database files and extract that on top of the main program -- it'll replace some files -- and that'll do it.

You'll use the h.sh shell script to run it, which you should make executable if your zip program doesn't preserve the attributes correctly: do this either from the get info page, or post back here and I'll give you more detailed instructions.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
Absolutely. Download the main program (the first thing in the list) and extract it somewhere of your choice, and then download the Mac embedded database files and extract that on top of the main program -- it'll replace some files -- and that'll do it.

You'll use the h.sh shell script to run it, which you should make executable if your zip program doesn't preserve the attributes correctly: do this either from the get info page, or post back here and I'll give you more detailed instructions.
Thank you! I'd just noticed there was a Mac download shall give it a go
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
NetSlut
Connoisseur

It was written on Macs, incidentally: it should run on any machine that can run Java.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Thanks to Kovid kindly explaining how to use the current version of Calibre's metadata readers, I've now created some optional classes for Harvey that users of Calibre can use.

Kovid has said that Calibre will be changing method for these readers in future, so there will come a point when these optional classes will stop working for those who keep Calibre up-to-date: I'll try to monitor the status and keep everyone updated when they're likely to stop working, but in the meantime, anyone with the v0.4 version of Calibre installed can make use of these classes and have the benefits of automatically tagging Title, Author and Category (Genre) of the LIT, LRF, OPF, PDF and RTF formats in addition to the already-supplied ePub format reader.

There is a link on the Harvey download page (http://www.nightisland.com/harvey/) and I'll add one here too: http://www.nightisland.com/harvey/Do...es/calmdrs.zip

To use these, extract into the Harvey directory and edit the harvey.prop file.
Alter the MetaDataReaders= line to say:

MetaDataReaders=pdfcal,epub,lrfcal,txt,htm,litcal, prc,rtfcal,opfcal

and then just run Harvey as normal. When you index files, anything with the right extension will be processed by the appropriate reader automatically.

Thanks to Kovid for allowing the use of his readers; any bugs you might encounter are undoubtedly mine.

As usual, any contact or feedback is welcome at harvey@nightisland.com