Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How many books do you read at one time?
Only One 69 38.76%
Two or three 74 41.57%
Four or five 21 11.80%
More than five 14 7.87%
I don't read books 0 0%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #46
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
I usually read one book at a time (not including the non-fiction books for school). When I read I usually have to finish it the same day if it is a book I find great. I'm so glad I read fairly quickly.
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #47
sammsmom
Enthusiast
sammsmom doesn't littersammsmom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I only read one at a time, but I do try to finish in a couple days so there is no use in even trying to start more than one since I am wrapped up in only the one.
sammsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #48
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I only ever read one at a time. However, I generally have several "on the go". I think I'd find it extremely distracting to have more than one book open in front of me at the same time.
I also find that if the size of the type and the number of lines per page is not similar, that you can cause excessive strain in the muscles controling your eyes .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #49
junglesgal
junglesgal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Two or three but I shouldn't. It's hard to keep up with them. But there are so many great books and so little time
junglesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #50
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglesgal View Post
Two or three but I shouldn't. It's hard to keep up with them. But there are so many great books and so little time
I normally have a main book and a few (one or two) lighter ones on the side for when I want to relax. For example, I am reading now starriggers Eternal's End as a main with a Graustark book and a western as secondaries.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #51
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Only one at a time for narrative books (textbooks are a different matter altogether). If I start another book before having finished an earlier one, it is usually a sign I have given up on it for the time being and if I ever try to read it again, I will start at the beginning.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 05-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I plan on doing is trying to finish all I have in the works and then trying to do one at a time. Wish me luck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #53
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I plan on doing is trying to finish all I have in the works and then trying to do one at a time. Wish me luck.
Good luck JSWolf ! I'd do the same, but it's like New Year's resolutions for me !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #54
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Luck!

Ever since I was given my 505, I seem to have developed a habit of having more that one book going at a time (depending on my mood and time available). Usually I have one main exciting story going and a couple of short stories or fluff books for the in between times (the 5 -10 minute periods).

This was never a habit I had when reading pbooks (of course, with pbooks, I only carried one book with me).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #55
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Only one. Not counting if I'm reading an academic book for work or something.

But only one leisure book at a time.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #56
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
I often find myself reading three books at a time. Generally 1 fiction, 1 science related and 1 novel.

I like to be able to switch back and forth depending on my mood
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Recreational, normally one book at a time, supposing I find the story engrossing enough. Still, I tend to finish reading books fairly quickly, even with breaks, so in a day, I can finish as many as five books, read consecutively. However, seeing I read a lot fanfiction, I'm easily following probably 100 (in-progress) stories at any given time. If a fic hasn't been updated recently, though, I do have to re-read the last couple of chapters to refresh my memory.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #58
MrDrWatson
MrDrWatson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I only read one at a time, but now with the sony reader I'm eager to read lots of books...so I might start reading more than one (although I feel that I should only read one at a time so as to savour it)
MrDrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #59
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
My reader has definitely increased the number of books I read at a time. I use the library a lot, which in the UK means pbooks, but I much prefer reading on my 505, so I usually have at least one pbook and several ebooks on the go at any one time.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #60
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When reading pbooks, I'll usually read 2 or 3 at a time - one that I take to work, one that I leave by the bed (usually a thicker book, difficult to carry around), and one if I get bored with the other two.

Since I got my ereader, I tend to only read one at a time. And if I get bored with a book, for some reason I'm less likely to suffer through it in eformat. I just delete it and move on to the next one.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote