Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

I'm going to buy one next week. 99% sure.

From bitsub.com.
£218.98 is the best price I see.
They ship to Portugal (some other places don't ship outside UK).

Reasons to buy it:
I read a lot.
I believe e-ink is at the present time a viable alternative to paper books.
I pay too much money to get my literary fix (currently Asimov) sent to me from other countries.
I am a technophile.
I prefer open-source.
It's specs are better (for my usage) than sony's prs-505, cybook's gen3, etc.

Reasons not to do it:
LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
LADILALAAAAAAAAA
(takes hands off ears)
...and take into account...
(puts hands back on)
LAAAAAA LA LA LA LA LA!
LA LAAAAA LA LA LA LA
(silence)

(takes hands off ears, and recomposes himself)

So, after carefully considering both sides of the question, I think I'm going to do it.
I'm just waiting to see where the shipping costs are lower.
gmvasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505

We won't argue with your reasons here I hope you get it soon! How much in shipping costs are we talking?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

Nothing too outrageous. 10-20 pounds depending on the seller.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Venue Pro 8
I got mine on Wednesday last - (2-4); and I'm in love! I got an EZ Reader from Astak (the US distributor) because well, I'm in the US. But it's the same thing. I just used Logomaker to change my boot screen so it shows my name and address. The more features I find, the more in love I fall. It is already my constant companion, I changed purses to be able to carry it with me safely.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Great choice, gmvasco. Once you get used to it, you may want to check out OpenInkPot firmware for it. I love that combination.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
gmvasco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Great choice, gmvasco. Once you get used to it, you may want to check out OpenInkPot firmware for it. I love that combination.
It is actually THE one reason that made me go with this one instead of other models. I kinda mentioned it when I said "open source", but not explicitly.

If I buy it tomorrow (after deciding what shipping costs are better), I'll have about 2 weeks to finish my 4 Asimovs on paper. A bit of a stretch, but I gotta do it. Otherwise, I suspect I won't pick them up again anytime soon.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
It is actually THE one reason that made me go with this one instead of other models. I kinda mentioned it when I said "open source", but not explicitly.

If I buy it tomorrow (after deciding what shipping costs are better), I'll have about 2 weeks to finish my 4 Asimovs on paper. A bit of a stretch, but I gotta do it. Otherwise, I suspect I won't pick them up again anytime soon.
I do ocassionally read one of my unread pbooks but it has become more difficult as time goes by. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
Support for OI is one of the main reasons that I'm leaning towards the EZ Reader. I'm still waiting to see what new devices will be released between now and March, though. I'm actually a bit worried that I'll be tempted by a newer device since the OI developers already have a backlog of devices to support which will probably keep them from getting to new devices any time soon.
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt8 View Post
Support for OI is one of the main reasons that I'm leaning towards the EZ Reader. I'm still waiting to see what new devices will be released between now and March, though. I'm actually a bit worried that I'll be tempted by a newer device since the OI developers already have a backlog of devices to support which will probably keep them from getting to new devices any time soon.
Before I loaded OI, I did too. But I think I've found my dream reader with the EZ Reader and OI.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
From bitsub.com.
£218.98 is the best price I see.
They ship to Portugal (some other places don't ship outside UK).

<snip>

So, after carefully considering both sides of the question, I think I'm going to do it.
I'm just waiting to see where the shipping costs are lower.
And why not 100% sure!

And I'm with you, I'll be buying one too... Not sure if it'll be next week, but I think it'll be this month.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
gmvasco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And why not 100% sure!

And I'm with you, I'll be buying one too... Not sure if it'll be next week, but I think it'll be this month.
I'm 100% sure now. I just bought it (giggles like a school girl)!

Well, now, onto getting to grips with the best format, and getting a good conversor... AND reading my pbooks.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
Você fez uma ótima compra

I bought my BeBook about 20 days ago and I am loving it. The main reason why I chose the BeBook was because I would be able to run OpenInkpot on it, and it was worthy, I would say the experience gets much better with OI, the ability to adjust margins, font size etc on-the-fly, so it looks just the way I like it, is great.

I was a bit concerned that I would not be able to read de-DRM'ed books on it (and unfortunately most books I want to read are sold only with DRM) but I had no problems whatsoever, just ran mobidedrm on a mobi book that I bought at BooksOnBoard and it was fine.

Paper books really feel like "old stuff" now, so heavy and clumsy.

Last edited by bigmoney; 02-09-2009 at 11:11 AM.
bigmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
Congrats!

At least you've more decisive powers than I have I'm always afraid that when I buy something, the next week there'll be a much better device, for the same price...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
I actually had only one disappointment with my BeBook, I am not sure how it is with other ereaders: from the pictures I've seen, I expected the screen background to be whiter. Mine has a gray tint, which means the contrast is not as good as I thought.
It doesn't bother me too much though, it's more of an aesthetic thing.
bigmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Congrats!

At least you've more decisive powers than I have I'm always afraid that when I buy something, the next week there'll be a much better device, for the same price...
I had a friend like you who wouldn't buy a calculator for the same reasons you have concerning readers. He never did buy a calculator and AFAIK still has none.

Do what my wife did when buying a horse trailer, when you find something you like, buy it and quit looking.