|01-30-2009, 08:41 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Wales, UK
Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Schakel, Peter J: Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia, v.1, 31 January 2009.
Peter J. Schakel
Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia
(Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1979)
An insightful study of C S Lewis’s “Chronicles of Narnia.”
The thesis of this book is that that the Chronicles of Narnia “are to be read as stories, responded to with the heart before they are reflected upon with the head.”
This is a copyrighted book. The author’s website states: “Individuals may print copies of the book for personal use; but no part of the book may reproduced for publication or sale without prior permission of the author.”
Dr Schakel has graciously given permission for his book to be posted here, where it may be downloaded for personal use only.
(His kind permission is reported in this thread:
I have left Dr Schakel’s text alone, with two exceptions:
1. Two instances of “Dawn Trader” have been corrected to “Dawn Treader.”
2. One lower-case “peter” has been amended to “Peter.”
I have made some slight changes to the formatting:
1. The author has marked the original page numbers thus: “[‹—p.*].” I have left this in the text because the index will be useless without it.
2. Superscript footnote markers are now numbered in the main text like this: “” because superscript does not look well on the Reader.
3. Italics have been continued to adjacent punctuation because this looks better on the Reader.
4. Book Designer does not allow for indented quotations, so these are indicated by a line break at their beginning and end.
[I know that I could have tweaked the epigraph or verse menus in BD to get a workaround for the Sony Reader. But then I would have lost the italicisation within the quotations.]
|christianity, legend, literary criticism, myth, narnia|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Free Ebook: Peter J. Schakel, Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia||Patricia||Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)||24||02-02-2009 12:52 AM|
|Other Non-Fiction Schakel, Peter J: Reason and Imagination in C. S. Lewis, v.1, 2 February 2009.||Patricia||IMP Books||0||02-02-2009 12:36 AM|
|Other Non-Fiction Schakel, Peter J: Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia, v.1, 31 January 2009.||Patricia||Kindle Books||0||01-30-2009 08:57 PM|
|Other Non-Fiction Schakel, Peter J: Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia, LIT v.1, 31 Jan 2009.||Patricia||Other Books||0||01-30-2009 08:54 PM|
|Other Non-Fiction Schakel, Peter J: Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia, v.1, 31 January 2009.||Patricia||IMP Books||0||01-30-2009 08:45 PM|