Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
constroy
constroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: PRS-505 Blue, nexus 7, Kindle PW2
microsoft reader and books on board

Trying a new program and I have downloaded and activated ms reader (using internet explorer. I normally use firefox) as well as signed up for an account with books on board. I have tried several book formats to try and find my favorites and would like to try the .Lit format. When you purchase a book from BoB a link is created under your purchase to "create download link". When I use this link nothing happens. Is it supposed to automatically open ms reader or is the download link created somewhere else that I have to find? I have "searched" for any possible place it could of "stored" a link on my computer and can not find one. (Running Vista and my email account is with comcast and somewhere through googling and reading on MR it was mentioned having to get an MSN email or hotmail. Does that make a difference)?
constroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Internet Explorer is required to download LIT files. When you click on "Create Download Link", you should be redirected to the same page but in place of the "Create Download Link" button, you should get a "Download" button instead. Clicking on that button would automatically open a pop-up window that would download the LIT file and import it directly into Microsoft Reader's library.

On my computer (Vista SP1), the actual ebooks are stored in:
C:\Users\<user_name>\Documents\My Library
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
constroy
constroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than mom

when I click on the "create download link" the "download" button never replaces the first. It stays as "create download". I even tried resetting my security settings with vista thinking that was the problem and that did not work either. (I also tried restarting my computer thinking maybe vista hooched up again and no go there either).
Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
constroy

okay..i got it! LOL. I tried activating ms reader multiple times as "administrator" while running explorer once getting my MSN passport. After about the 10th time of doing this (and cursing my computer a few times...I hate I.E.) it just decided to work. What's up with that!?! I guess you need to yell at it for it to work!!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you had that much trouble just to activate, I highly suggest downloading a copy of ConvertLIT now and un-DRMing your purchases.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by constroy View Post
okay..i got it! LOL. I tried activating ms reader multiple times as "administrator" while running explorer once getting my MSN passport. After about the 10th time of doing this (and cursing my computer a few times...I hate I.E.) it just decided to work. What's up with that!?! I guess you need to yell at it for it to work!!
I find yelling at my computer often helps. You need to show it who is boss....
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1 View Post
I find yelling at my computer often helps. You need to show it who is boss....
Hmm, I've never yelled at my computers. I find mine responds better to a gentle touch.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3(KKSO), iPad 3, iPhone 3GS, K1(sold), Cybook Opus(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Hmm, I've never yelled at my computers. I find mine responds better to a gentle touch.
I try to keep mine guessing.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy Player 5 (YP-G70C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you had that much trouble just to activate, I highly suggest downloading a copy of ConvertLIT now and un-DRMing your purchases.
That's good advice. I really enjoy reading .lit files, but MS has not supported Reader properly, and their activation/authorization house of cards is in poor repair. I don't use them any more, and all my files are non-DRM for safety.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, iPhone, iPad, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab3 8
Well, you've to activate it to get the .lit file, and the activation works when it likes (I know it very well). After downloading it you can use ConvertLit with no problems (I do it), but you NEED to activate Microsoft Reader before.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote