Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soalla View Post
Hey, eReader is also free
eReader is a fine choice if you don't already have a library of eBooks in another format. If you do, that will likely impact your choice.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
soalla
soalla began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-505
yep, you should be right

... but maybe I'm a little crazy: I received a Sony PRS-505 at Christmas and then proceeded to convert my e-library (lits and prcs, mostly) to lrf: then last month I received an iPod Touch as a birthday present and now I'm converting all those e-books to pdb !! And I'm converting to pdb because I found that I like eReader more than Stanza - but I still use this last one with my epubs
soalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soalla View Post
yep, you should be right

... but maybe I'm a little crazy: I received a Sony PRS-505 at Christmas and then proceeded to convert my e-library (lits and prcs, mostly) to lrf: then last month I received an iPod Touch as a birthday present and now I'm converting all those e-books to pdb !! And I'm converting to pdb because I found that I like eReader more than Stanza - but I still use this last one with my epubs
You have a 505, you have your eBooks converted to LRF. Why would you then want to convert them to PDB for using with an iPod Touch? My wife has one and I would never want to read eBooks on it instead of my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #19
dealjunkie
dealjunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Isn't there a new eBook reader due out for the iPhone this month? I thought I recalled someone mentioning that recently.
Yes, shortcovers.

http://blog.shortcovers.com/
dealjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I recently installed stanza, it's very good. I'll give eReader a try maybe, that also has a lot of recommendations.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
babygator
babygator began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I mostly use eReader as well although, like The Bandit, I prefer Stanza.
i prefer this one as well
babygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Stanza+Calibre (must use both): see my n00bie guide
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...919#post391919

Calibre is great for tagging all books (covers, blurbs, author, publisher, isbn, etc) but it's real power lies in keeping a single library with underlying multiple formats - I also spent many a day converting to new formats for a new device - no more!
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #23
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I prefer eReader because of the vast titles I have collected at Fictionwise during my Palm days. (Btw, eReader can do autoscrolling now but it's not yet perfect.).

Your choice really depends on your source of ebooks. Good luck!

I was already beginning to like Kindle for iPhone but because of the current Amazon blunder, I'm back to eReader as my default.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #24
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Pretty sure calibre can convert your eReader books - provided they are not DRM'd. Calibre is so seamless at format management that you get away from the bad old days of having to keep muptiple copies of books for different reader formats.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
soalla
soalla began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have a 505, you have your eBooks converted to LRF. Why would you then want to convert them to PDB for using with an iPod Touch? My wife has one and I would never want to read eBooks on it instead of my 505.
Well, it's not a question of "I want to read eBooks on my iPod"" but more of "it's useful to may read eBooks on my iPod"!

Of course my 505 is wonderful to read on and at places with strong sun light it's the best device to read, hands down, but my iPod goes on my pants' pocket and it's there, ever ready, to 2 or 3 minutes of reading time wherever I am at the moment - my 505 is not always with me because its bigger and most places where I read are not so well lighted as the beach where I was today (not bathing, mind you, the water was a bit cold, but reading on my 505 for more than an hour) . So, I use my Sony mostly on my commute hours (4 each day on a train, and I carry it in my briefcase) and on places well lighted as the beach, and my iPod everywhere else when my 505 is not around, or there is no sufficient light.. oh!, and all nights in bed on those 10 minutes before sleeping while my wife is already sleeping with the TV on

btw, I still use my other small devices, although only when my iPod has no charge, as most ebooks are in there too... and I also use my TabletPC to read PDFs of technical books (mostly on the train, too)...

Last edited by soalla; 03-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.
soalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I liked Bandit, until the kindle app came out.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Stanza is by far the best. I also have Kindle just because I do have a Kindle 2 and for picking up portable where I left off on the Kindle 2 it's great as it syncs between the iPhone and the Kindle. But it's very sparse in other features.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
The combination of Calibre and Stanza on iTouch is awesome. I mostly read on my Kindle, but when caught somewhere twiddling my thumbs, I find Stanza is great.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote