Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #256
kado
Enthusiast
kado began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Quote:
A Calibre conversion puts the @font-faces into every html file in the epub, rather than once in the .css file (don't know why).
This upsets me as well Jackie_W. Because I have a very few epubs I came across on the web in which all Turkish fonts are displayed correctly and when I check the file content of these very rare epubs, I see a separate stylesheet.css file in which after the first line there is a whole body of @font-face decleration as exactly as proposed in the earlier posts here. So, not having this css file just gives me another reason to fail, perhaps.

I see my situation like this: I have been trying to solve an equation with 3 unknowns. To be able to sort it out, all these 3 unknowns should be identified correctly. The unknows I am facing are:
1- Whether the font I try to use includes all Turkish characters correctly. I currently try to use LiberationSerif as it is the one suggested in many blogs.
2- Whether the folder in which this font is located are correctly referred to for my Nook within @font-face declaration, i.e. the blue bits in your post.
3- Whether Calibre correctly converts epub to epub as it was expected to. I understand it does not "Override Css" but puts an "Extra Css" as was named under the "Look & Feel" menu in the latest version of Calibre I have been using, namely 0.8.32. From this different menu item naming, I tend to think that, before Calibre was just overriding the stylesheet.css but now it just adds it by renaming it to stylesheet1.css. But I wonder where the stylesheet.css file then...

I realize my long-awaited success will not only be when I correctly resolve each of these 3 unknowns - for each of which there are dozens of alternatives to try; but also I implement only the correct alternatives at once. Perhaps I finally and unwittingly figured out the second unknown correctly but all others were not right when I gave it a try, which eventually led to a failing epub full of ? marks instead of Turkish letters.

Frankly speaking I have tried almost all combinations and I am almost about to give up... I cannot tell you enough since when and how many days I have spent so far for a permanent solution.

As a last attempt I would like to summarize what I have done so far, despite the fact that I realize this is a thread for Sony readers only, not for Nook; however, I do hope you guys would allow me here as I see many expert comments on this thread relevant to my problem as it is mainly an epub/font/css/Calibre issue:

1- "The font" with Turkish Character set: As per a suggestion in one of the blogs I have read, I first used the LiberationSerif font available in the Calibre2\resources\fonts folder, even though I still don't get the logic behind it. Does this font have a built-in and guaranteed Turkish char set inside? Trials, trials, and later I downloaded the very same font from a website specialized on fonts, which also allowed me for a "test-drive" to be able to check whether the chars I am interested in are displayed correctly. Trials, trials And finally I just used the LiberationSerif set I came across inside one of those rare epubs with which my Nook worked correctly. There were this LiberationSerif set embedded inside the epub and I just copied them to "my fonts" folder in my Nook. I don't know if I could do anything furhter to make sure that the font set is correct. How can I see if a font I am interested in contain all the Turkish characters correctly? I suspect some fonts are already installed in my Windows 7 and therefore they are displayed correctly in W7, but not in Nook, which misleads me a great deal, I think. I use W7 in English, could it be the reason?

2-"Syntax" for referring to "my fonts" folder in @font-face: My Nook shows the location of epub files as:
Code:
nook/my documents/[writer's name]/[book name.epub]
Truly, when I connect my Nook into my computer, the drive name becomes "nook"; when I double click the drive, I see all relevant folders right beneath the root such as "my document", "my fonts" etc. Therefore, I don't understand where "system/fonts", "data/fonts" etc come from. Nevertheless I have tried all of them but failed. I even thought of the blank character between "my" and "fonts" and used %20 for a proper url reference. No hope. I later chanded the folder "my fonts" to "fonts" not to add another uncertainty to my already complex equation. I now realize that I will keep on failing on absolute referencing for the fonts folder unless I certainly know the inner folder structure of Nook Standard. So far, nobody does seem to be aware of that. For Nook Color it might be "system/fonts" and for Sony "data/fonts" but for my Nook Standard I don't know what it is. Therefore, in order to eliminate this parameter, now I am thinking of relative referencing -thanks to Wikipedia for examples. Consider this reasoning: If the book is under "my documents" folder which is under "[writer's name]" folder, and the fonts folder is located under the root and inside "fonts" folder, would it be correct to refer to the fonts in @font-face declaration with:
Code:
src: url(res://../../fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);
Do I need "res://" bit here as I have only come across examples without that bit? It doesn't seem to be harmful as it seems merely a protocol which forces the reader to resolve the string, but who knows. I should say, with all what I have been trying to achieve here, I am swimming in foreign waters and this is completely out of my league. I hope what I type makes sense for all of you computer experts.
If this syntax is succesful, it would just give me one less issue to worry about.

3- Calibre "epub to epub" conversion: The epub file which perfectly displays the long-sought-for Turkish characters have a stylesheet.css file and is perfectly a match for what was suggested earlier in posts #9 and #18 and is attached below - the second line is quite long and goes to the right:

Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
@font-face {font-style: italic;font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;src: url(LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);}@font-face {font-style: normal;font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;src: url(LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);}@font-face {font-style: italic;font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;src: url(LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf);}@font-face {font-style: normal;font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;src: url(LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);}.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    page-break-before: always
    }
.calibre1 {
    font-family: Arial, sans-serif;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    text-indent: 0
    }
.calibre2 {
    font-weight: bolder
    }
.t {
    font-size: 1.66667em
    }
.t1 {
    font-size: 1em
    }
What I end up with after converting a non-Turkish epub to a hopefully-Turkish epub is like this - The filename is stylesheet1.css with a "1" at the end and does not look similar to the previous one at all; I see LiberationSerif which gives me a hope though:

Code:
.calibre {
    font-family: "LiberationSerif", serif;
    line-height: 1.2;
    padding-right: 0
    }
.calibre1 {
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-top: 1em
    }

Having seen this and considered it as an incorrect content for the css file, I decided to manually update the stylesheet.css with the @font-face statement that I believe should be working as stated below and added as the second line:
Code:
@font-face { 
font-style: italic; 
font-family: 'LiberationSerif', serif, sans-serif; 
font-weight: normal; 
src: url(res://../../fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf); 
} 
@font-face { 
font-style: normal; 
src: url(res://../../fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf); 
} 
@font-face { 
font-weight: bold; 
src: url(res://../../fonts/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf); 
} 
@font-face { 
src: url(res://../../fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf); 
} 
body { 
margin-right: 8pt; 
font-family: 'LiberationSerif', serif; 
}
.calibre {
    padding-right: 0;
    page-break-before: always
    }
.calibre1 {
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-top: 1em
    }
But no success again...

Thinking now, perhaps what you have said Jackie_W is right, perhaps Calibre is just working fine but I ruin the overall file integrity by manually manipulating stylesheet.css with this version of Calibre I have. Because, as you reasoned I checked out the index.html file and all LiberationSerif font statements were there. This brings my mind another question for proper referencing to the fonts folder: What is the correct file now for relative referencing: the html files or stylesheet.css? This might be an issue if these two files are located under different folders within the epub; if not, just forget it. But I recall an epub file inside of which there were several html files split probably because of size limitation and Calibre's option for files larger than 260K. These files were, if I am not wrong, were located under another folder. If this is the case the above question of mine still applies.

As you see guys, I feel I am at the end of my adventure with my Nook. And my success is totally depend on fixing each of 3 unknowns and utilizing them in one lucky try.

Could you guys give a hand of what items are we certain, what not. This could help me narrow down my trials and reach a final, permanent and long-awaited solution.

Many thanks in advance.

Kadir
kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #257
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@kado,

I suspect it is item 2 which is your main problem. I don't have a Nook so I can't really help you get to the bottom of that. Have you tried the Nook subforum? Surely, there must be many people there with the right experience.

I can help you eliminate problems with items 1 and 3. If you attach a TXT file saved in UTF-8 encoding which contains all the Turkish chars you want to check. I can create an epub with Calibre which will work on my Sonys and post a screencap for you to check. If it looks OK, that will confirm that Liberation is OK and that Calibre will put the @font-faces somewhere that an ereader can use them. The only thing then missing is the magic Nook url locations.

There is another way you can eliminate problem 2 altogether and that is to 'fully embed' the Liberation font files inside each epub. I think the perfect Turkish epubs you referred to were using that method. Calibre is not a great deal of help with this method so your task is a bit more manual but not difficult. I recently wrote a post outlining how to do this for Sony PRST1 users when we thought this was the only way we were going to get custom fonts to work on our shiny new readers (since then the magic PRST1 url location has been discovered so full embedding is no longer required for T1 owners). I am fairly confident this will work for you (as long as we confirm a good Turkish font). Here's the link. It is referencing Gentium fonts to read in Vietnamese but much of the info is general. If you have trouble with the details feel free to ask.

If you do post the Turkish text I will also create and post a fully embedded Liberation epub for you so you've got a sample to examine closely.

In the meantime, I wrote another post a few months ago giving a general overview of 3 different ways to customise fonts. It is not specific to any ereader brand but it may provide some background for you.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-30-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added another link
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #258
kado
Enthusiast

Hi Jackie_W,

Many thanks for your kind return and support.

Yes, as soon as I finished my post at this Sony-specific thread, I immediately initiated a new thread under Nook subforum here, with a direct link to this thread in order to avoid double effort and identical threads. Currently I am waiting for Nook experts' return on my issues, especially for the issue no 2.

As requested, I attach all the problematic Turkish fonts in a txt document. I also attach a screenshot of the fonts so that you could yourself see if they are displayed correctly and get a hint of what we are speaking about. Besides, if you see those letters correctly with any of your fonts, this would mean that in addition to LiberationSerif, that particular font of yours does also support Turkish. This would give me more alternative fonts to use in my Nook. Your support in resolving the issues 1 and 3 will therefore be truly and higly appreciated.

Happy new year to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkish Fonts ScreenShot.png
Views:	562
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	80580  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Turkish Fonts.txt (206 Bytes, 425 views)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #259
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kado,
  1. The Liberation Serif font appears to display Turkish OK. The attached image is a screencap from my Sony PRS650 of an epub created by Calibre from your Turkish TXT file. It references the Liberation fonts stored in a /fonts directory on the Sony using the Sony-special urls
    Code:
    @font-face {font-family: serif; ... ... src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf)}
    etc ... etc ...
    in @font-faces stored in Calibre Look&Feel ExtraCSS. So if the Nook community can tell you the Nook equivalent you should be OK to prepare your epubs this way.

2. If you can't find the Nook url info then you still have the option to eliminate problem 2 by fully embedding the Liberation fonts inside each epub. I've attached your sample so you can test it on your Nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkish_sony_liber.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	80586  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Turkish_fully_embedded.epub (368.7 KB, 437 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #260
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@kado,

This Nook webpage looks as if it should help.
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #261
kado
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@kado,

This Nook webpage looks as if it should help.
Hi Jackie_W again,

You won't believe but I came across that page a few hours ago. You are right - it quite looks like what I am missing, i.e. my second concern - reaching my LiberationSerif fonts with correct url string. It also suggests using built-in and hidden Droid fonts.

I have just tried each and every alternatives offered here except softrooting and installing the plugin which is effectively the same thing.

Guess what, still failing. I cannot tell you enough how I am disappointed. On this special day of the new year eve, look what I am spending my time with. Just two hours left to 2012.

I came across several threads directing this page, which are older than 1.5 years. That might be my problem actually. My Nook firmware version is 1.7.0 not 1.5.0 and Calibre is the latest 0.8.32. I really started to think that these two are my current issues.

You won't believe, now I am studying how to softroot my device and use ADB - Android Debug Bridge - to be able to see the inner structure of my Nook Classic. Enough is enough. Gosh! Where am I heading to?

I myself want to see LiberationSerif in the hidden maze of my Nook with my own eyes or the Droid fonts, which I highly suspect that they do not exist there. There cannot be any other explanation to my failure.

If it goes like that, it will mean that in 2012 I will spend all my year with hacking, rooting, debugging some electronic devices, Nook, iPhones, iPads...

Thanks for your continuous support. This means a lot to me.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #262
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

That Nook webpage seems quite specific.
  1. The directory you need to create and copy the Liberation fonts into (if you haven't already) is /my fonts (all lowercase and including the space) and it needs to be created in the same place as /my documents
  2. The magic Nook url is
    Code:
    src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf')
    Pay particular attention to the quotes wrapped around the url location. Did you make sure you had this? The Sony url doesn't need them but I suspect the Nook does because of the space in the path between my and fonts

P.S. Did the fully embedded epub work on your reader?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #263
kado
Enthusiast

Certainly, I was at first quite puzzled with the quotes, sometimes without, sometimes with double quotes. I have tried the exact string. LiberationSerif fonts are copied under "my fonts" as suggested, so the url string should work out correctly.

What I am trying to convert is the attached txt file and the resultant epub is also attached. In the epub, the famous url statement is not in sheetstyle.css but in index.html as we discussed before. There is just a reference to LiberationSerif family in sheetstyle.css rather than the whole Extra CSS block which is:
Code:
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf');
}
body {
}
This is where we are different Jackie_W, I mean the stylesheet.css. The epub you sent me worked out perfectly and it is exactly in the same format and structure with the very rare Turkish-friendly epubs I could ever find on the net: These epubs contain LiberationSerif family fonts (4 alltogether) inside epub and also stylesheet.css is exactly how it looks above and not in the index.html. The epub that I generate does not contain LiberationFonts -well it should not contain, that's normal, we are hoping it will be accessed from Nook internal memory.

If the fonts are correct, if the url string is fine, then I started to think that I am falling victim to Calibre conversion. Really don't know what else to think after all my trials and all those solid and confident suggestions by Nook experts... Another possibility is the firmware difference as I mentioned before.

I have a question: When you generate your epub - the one you sent me through, am I right to think that you yourself didn't insert those LiberationSerif fonts inside the epub container, nor the stylesheet.css which I expect it was created by Calibre? What I expect after my conversion is the very same epub but without fonts embedded in the epub.

It is 2012 here in Turkey for 8 minutes now.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Turkish Fonts - Unknown.epub (2.6 KB, 503 views)
File Type: txt Turkish Fonts.txt (206 Bytes, 515 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #264
kado
Enthusiast

I just sent out a PM to Kovid -the creator of Calibre, to find out what he thinks of my issue with my Nook Classic and Calibre.

To my surprise I could find in this forum the genius behind that beautiful program ... I didn't miss that opportunity to get acquainted with him...

Last edited by kado; 12-31-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #265
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@kado,

As our conversation is off-topic for this thread I'm going to continue as a PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #266
kado
Enthusiast

I still believe our discussion is applicable to this thread as I am switching to Sony from Nook if all this does not work out properly...

Last edited by kado; 01-01-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #267
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Well then, you'll be delighted to hear that the Sony PRS-T1 contains at least 6 built-in fonts which display Turkish characters OK
Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #268
kado
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well then, you'll be delighted to hear that the Sony PRS-T1 contains at least 6 built-in fonts which display Turkish characters OK
Do you mind sharing the names of the fonts then so that I could download them and use in my Nook.

Well I think you are now the most unwelcome person for Sony as you have just saved my Nook's going to wastebin and ruin Sony's hope to sell one more Sony unit to me as I am proceeding now with my Nook. Well, this is my mom's, I will consider a Sony for myself, I promise

Yes guys, if anyone follows my threads in many blogs up to this point, my issue has been cleverly resolved by this gentlemen, jackie_w... I truly owe him a lot.

My problem turned out to be lack of a proper codepage utilisation. When I choose cp1254 for Turkish (jackie_w says it is cp1252 for English windows users) everthing worked out perfectly. cp1254 should be chosen in Calibre under Common Options/Look and Feel/Input Character Encoding.

As part of the solution the ExtraCSS block in Calibre also turned out to be:
Code:
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf');
}
body {
}
I hope this is helpful.

Many thanks again Jackie_W!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #269
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado View Post
Do you mind sharing the names of the fonts then so that I could download them and use in my Nook.
The PRST1 built-in fonts which are accessible from simple menu options are:
Serif
Amasis
Palatino Nova
Really No2
Sans-serif
Frutiger Neue
Univers Next
Verdana
You can also access the internal Droid serif and sans-serif fonts, but not from a simple menu.

Charis SIL (serif only), DejaVu (serif, sans, mono) and Droid (serif, sans, mono) fonts are all freely available and are worth a try.

I'm not sure just knowing the font names is enough. For instance, the PRST1's version of Amasis font does show Turkish chars but the NookSTR's version of Amasis does not. Even though I don't own a Nook, I managed to get hold of the NookSTR's built-in fonts to test by downloading the latest Nook upgrade file and unzipping it on the PC to extract the fonts directory.

Nook Malabar and Ysobel serif fonts show Turkish fonts OK.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #270
kado
Enthusiast

Wow! Level of your support and guidance is more than I deserve Jackie.

And my depest apologies for omitting the obvious re your nick... With 3108490 karma points divided by circa 2 per your assistance you have rendered so far means it is more than 150000 life saving help cases from you to the people who are lost like myself.

Being a lady and with such an angel rank, I wonder how many marriage offers you have received so far.

Many many many thanks again.

Last edited by kado; 01-01-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Tags
epub, fonts