Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Foxit eSlick, New eInk based reader for $229

As Foxit's first-generation e-book reader, eSlick is specially designed to support multiple formats and enables users to view various documents with ease. With the thickness of 0.4” (9.2 mm), the weight of 6.4 ounces(180g) and the introductory low price of $229.99($259.99 MSRP), the Foxit eSlick will become the ideal e-book reading device for users. This first edition will be available very soon. If you are looking for a high quality and low-cost e-book reader, the eSlick definitely is what you’re looking for. Click here to pre-order eSlick right now!

Quote:
Screen:6" E Ink® Vizplex screen 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 166 dpi, 4-level gray scale
Size: 7.4" x 4.7" x 0.4" (188×118×9.2mm)
Weight: 6.4 ounces (180g) battery included
Color: Black/Gray/White
Connectivity: USB2.0
Operating System: Embedded Linux
Supported Formats:
- eBook Formats: PDF, TXT, Any printable document(after converted to PDF using included software)
- Sound Formats: MP3
Internal Memory: 128MB
Storage Memory: SD Card (2GB included. Supports up to 4GB)
Included Software:
Foxit Reader Pro Pack ($39 license)
Foxit PDF Creator ($29 license)
From http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-18-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: small changes so it can go on front page
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It may only be another rebranded Netronix OEM, but it is a cheap one. And I would bet that it will have the best PDF viewer. PDF is Foxit's specialty.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Given Foxit's past focus on PDF technology, I wish they can finally make peace on portable pdf reading.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Sucks about the whole "txt and pdf" formats only, though. Not exactly good times putting mobi or epub into pdf.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK... I take back what I said on the other thread. I didn't see this page. This is actually pretty cool. While I see no support for DRM I think for $229 this thing could be big.

Also... this so looks like the Newtronix (CyBook) OEM. If so, it will be able to run OpenInkpot which will add Mobi and FB2 support?

BTW: Jetbook uses the Foxit reader software on their device. Although they don't have the reflow text feature.

BOb

PS: It comes with some software too. And I know Foxit has Mac and Linux versions of their stuff... so that could be really good news.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I hope Mobileread could receive one in order to give us a review
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK... I take back what I said on the other thread. I didn't see this page. This is actually pretty cool. While I see no support for DRM I think for $229 this thing could be big.

Also... this so looks like the Newtronix (CyBook) OEM. If so, it will be able to run OpenInkpot which will add Mobi and FB2 support?

BTW: Jetbook uses the Foxit reader software on their device. Although they don't have the reflow text feature.

BOb

PS: It comes with some software too. And I know Foxit has Mac and Linux versions of their stuff... so that could be really good news.
Well, I have been using the pdf reader on the Jetbook, and it works rather well. Also, its not that hard to convert books to pdf... and if it does actually support reflowable PDF, well it will be even easier.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm very curious to see how good the PDF support is, especially combined with the Foxit PDF creating software. Specifically, what it's like reformatting stuff like HTML, lit and lrf onto the device. It would be nice to be able to bulk convert.

So, who's up to buy and review one?
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #9
gylman
gylman began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ HX4700
As a recent joiner to the ebook world (Sony 505), I have seen both the potential and the limitations of these devices.

Lousy PDF support on the Sony device has certainly been a major downside.

I keep hearing how PDF documents are not meant for electronic readers, but the fact is that my iPaq device using Acrobat Reader 2.5 for Windows Mobile does very well with them, MUCH better than Sony.

If Foxit can do significantly better, than they have a future in this market. I'll look forward to see how this evolves.
gylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hmm,

how likely will it be possible to put the Cybooks firmware on the foxit's reader?
cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
So, who's up to buy and review one?
You would have to wait another *at least* two months.
Even the pre-order page is not active at the moment. And they claim that they will not ship it for another 7 weeks.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
"designed to support multiple formats and enables users to view various documents with ease"

Then it turns out its TXT and PDF only. Well you can say, 2 is multiple.

Another case of false marketing.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
"designed to support multiple formats and enables users to view various documents with ease"
They are probably referring to the bundled Foxit PDF Creator which is "a virtual printer that allows any application with printing capability to generate high-quality PDF documents conveniently and efficiently". Windows only though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I don't understand the limitations of Adobe on eink devices (and why there is no iPhone Adobe app escapes me), but the real question is does the Foxit read Adobe DRM'ed books. I think any device on the market has to read at least one DRM'ed format in order for it to be viable.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like the name. eSlick. Makes it seem sexy. Maybe it will be interesting to a younger crowd, even though it is awfully ugly.
"What'd you get for Christmas?" asked Joshua.

"I got an eSlick," replied Cody.

"What's an eSlick?" asked Britney.

"It's cool, lookit this," answered Cody.

"Wow, that's hot!" reverbed Joshua and Cody.
And that's how eSlick became the most desired new electronic gadget at Dawson's Zipcode High School.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote