Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Karma for posting books!

I think users supposed to get some automatic karma when posting a book!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, i see why you would propose that, but i like the more personal karma that is given by a specific person, with a comment (ideally). i think automatic karma sort of defeats the purpose. karma is there to show appreciation, after all, and it seems a bit sad to automate that.

but i encourage you to give karma each time you download a book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Well,if we get karma to post messages, then we supposed to get even more karma to post books, no?

I prefer personal karma as well.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I have another proposal - to use Karma as virtual money to buy eBooks on amazon, mobipocket and other websites (for example 10 karma = $1)

Last edited by Kris777; 12-18-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I would have to agree with ZP. It's the personal part of the karma giving and receiving which makes it a nice forum feature. It's also a good way to "meet" other forum members. Although, while I don't hesitate to give karma to those with still small karmas, I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I have another proposal - to use Karma as virtual money to buy eBooks on amazon, mobipocket and other websites (for example 10 karma = $1)
Where does the money come from?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.
i know a lot of people feel really pleased when a relatively new member gives them karma because they are happy to have been able to help out.

there is nothing to be embarassed about ; we all were new at one time and everybody starts at the beginning ! it's the gesture that is important, not the number.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i know a lot of people feel really pleased when a relatively new member gives them karma because they are happy to have been able to help out.

there is nothing to be embarassed about ; we all were new at one time and everybody starts at the beginning ! it's the gesture that is important, not the number.
Oh, well then, it's nice to know that! Thank you!

BTW, I think maybe some new members might not know how to find out who gave them karma and why. I only stumbled upon how to get that information by accident. Otherwise, I would have no clue why my karma was increasing!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Oh, well then, it's nice to know that! Thank you!
glad to help.

Quote:
BTW, I think maybe some new members might not know how to find out who gave them karma and why. I only stumbled upon how to get that information by accident. Otherwise, I would have no clue why my karma was increasing!
to see who gave you karma and for which posts, click on "User CP" in the blue menu bar, then scroll down to "Latest Reputation Received". the thread title in the first column is a link taking you directly to the specific post you were meritoriously karma-thwacked for. the last column is where you can read the comment left, if any. those are often the best part.

another nifty trick : if you hover on the blue bars under your name (to the left of any post), you can find out your karma fortune. that's my other favorite part of the karma system.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.
Pfft. "Wrongly" is right! Seabound, it makes no difference to me how many points comes with the karma. It just warms my cockles to have anybody feel inspired to pass some karma my way. It's those little comments that come attached that just...well, it's them that tickle my fancy, and I like my fancy being tickled. Quite often it's the "low point score" karma that tickles it the most, because I get that feeling of "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship". On the flipside, I always try to send karma the way of those self-same people.

For me, inclusiveness is one of the most important tenets of any community. I try to practice what I preach to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
glad to help.

to see who gave you karma and for which posts, click on "User CP" in the blue menu bar, then scroll down to "Latest Reputation Received". the thread title in the first column is a link taking you directly to the specific post you were meritoriously karma-thwacked for. the last column is where you can read the comment left, if any. those are often the best part.
Precisely! I love those few words. They're like little bursts of sweet candy.

By the way, here is the link to your User CP:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php

It's the same for everyone, and I actually use it as my chief bookmark for MobileRead (because it also brings up a list of my subscribed threads that have new posts on them).

Once you're there, have a look down the left side of the page too - there's quite a few more options MobileRead provides too (eg. albums). Impressive, no? That's part of the reason why I love this forum - it's one of the most friendly and user-friendly forums I know of.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Karma as money only works here. You can use it to get all the MobileRead eBooks you like. If it were worth real money then we would have more guys sitting around giving each other Karma and spoiling it for everyone else.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I would have to agree with ZP. It's the personal part of the karma giving and receiving which makes it a nice forum feature. It's also a good way to "meet" other forum members. Although, while I don't hesitate to give karma to those with still small karmas, I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.
Actually there are those of us that especially appreciate small changes in Karma as it means we helped someone new to the group.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Pfft. "Wrongly" is right! Seabound, it makes no difference to me how many points comes with the karma. It just warms my cockles to have anybody feel inspired to pass some karma my way. It's those little comments that come attached that just...well, it's them that tickle my fancy, and I like my fancy being tickled. Quite often it's the "low point score" karma that tickles it the most, because I get that feeling of "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship". On the flipside, I always try to send karma the way of those self-same people.

For me, inclusiveness is one of the most important tenets of any community. I try to practice what I preach to myself.
Oh my gosh! You guys are not only smart, but generous in many ways as well, including in your candidness! And laugh-out-loud funny to boot! Thank you so much for writing that, montsmags! I wasn't really expecting reactions like these!

Um, and I think there's a good chance you guys are crazy as well. In a good way, of course.

Quote:

Precisely! I love those few words. They're like little bursts of sweet candy.
Yes, I love reading those comments, too!

Quote:

By the way, here is the link to your User CP:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php

It's the same for everyone, and I actually use it as my chief bookmark for MobileRead (because it also brings up a list of my subscribed threads that have new posts on them).
See, that's what I mean. Up until now, when you and Zelda mentioned the User CP link, I did not know about it. Up until now, it took me three clicks to get to the same information (Profile->Customize Profile->Your Control Panel)!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually there are those of us that especially appreciate small changes in Karma as it means we helped someone new to the group.

Dale
Ah, okay, I think I'm beginning to understand why MR veterans would feel this way. I'm glad to know that appreciation of karma (more precisely, the thought behind it and what prompted it) doesn't necessarily wear off with quantity and familiarity. Yeah, I think I'm starting to get it.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Ditto.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote