Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 02-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
mier
mier began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten E
Question RegEx help

Greetings,
First off, thanks for the program, I like it much better than plucker desktop.

I've been trying to figure out how the regular expression syntax is handled. I figured it would be some java derivative since the program is written in java, but I can't seem to figure the syntax. I tried enclosing everything in "'s, but the filter strips those off, so I figure they're "understood". I tried various wildcards like:
.*(alone|showrate)* or just[*]++showrate\=1 (or \\=1 or just =1, followed by + or ++ or *)
but I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe I'm just malforming the syntax since I'm kind of new at regex, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something simple. An example would be wonderful if any could help.

I was also trying the wildcard side of things since all I really wanted was to filter out URL's with "showrate" in them. I finally figured out that http*showrate* worked but *showrate* by itself would not. Any ideas there?

Thanks for reading,
mier
Old 02-22-2005, 04:19 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mier
I've been trying to figure out how the regular expression syntax is handled.
Java uses Perl5-style regular expressions, which are used in a variety of languages. Try Googling for "regular expression tutorial".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mier
I was also trying the wildcard side of things since all I really wanted was to filter out URL's with "showrate" in them. I finally figured out that http*showrate* worked but *showrate* by itself would not. Any ideas there?
Sounds like a bug with wildcard matching. Will look into this.

Advertisement
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
taylor
Enthusiast
taylor began at the beginning.

Device: T|T3
BTW, at some point I remember you saying something about removing URL rewriting because a lot of people had trouble figuring out how to get them to work correctly. I would really like to see this functionality stay. Are you still planning to remove it Laurens? Would you consider leaving support for it, but just making it harder for the masses to find? My apologies in advance if my memory is all wrong about this.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
URL rewriting will still be supported in future versions. It's one of Sunrise's most useful features. Scripting will no longer be supported, though. In its present form, URL rewriting relies on scripting, so it will work somewhat differently.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
taylor
Enthusiast
taylor began at the beginning.

Device: T|T3
Ah. I see. If you've got something better in mind, that's great. I agree URL rewriting is very handy.