Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
varlog
just member
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
The Book(s) that changed the Way You See the World

OK, it is the very personal question - but you can lie .

To get it started I will name my personal milestones:
All the work of Stanislaw Lem: because of what he said about reality of human beings in this world/universe.
Catch22 by Joseph Heller: because of what he said about what war is all about for us chickens.

There are those very talented writers, who see more than we do at the moment and you have recognized it: name them, please.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd have to go with the KJV right off the bat. It has a lot to say about the human condition in general and doesn't pull any punches.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
varlog
just member
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'd have to go with the KJV right off the bat. It has a lot to say about the human condition in general and doesn't pull any punches.
KJV? please elaborate.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo
I suspect CRich refers to the King George V version of the Christian Bible.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
varlog
just member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I suspect CRich refers to the King George V version of the Christian Bible.
Could you give me a link ?. What's different?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@varlog I think we best wait for CRich to post back. (Isn't that the standard English version of the Bible?)
Old 10-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
varlog
just member

Quote:
It has a lot to say about the human condition in general and doesn't pull any punches.
I'm not English native. Please be more explicit, I don't understand the context.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I was referring to the King James Version. King George came along some time after James I (who was also James 6th of Scotland). Verlog I was referring to the fact that when the stories of people in the Bible are told the text doesn't sanitize them. They are shown as real people with flaws rather than being put up on a pedestal above the rest of us. I won't go into detail here as I don't want the thread to end up being moved to politics & religion but the text doesn't white wash anything.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Cheeky Kiki!!

Quote:
Actually I was referring to the King James Version. King George came along some time after James I (who was also James 6th of Scotland). Verlog I was referring to the fact that when the stories of people in the Bible are told the text doesn't sanitize them. They are shown as real people with flaws rather than being put up on a pedestal above the rest of us. I won't go into detail here as I don't want the thread to end up being moved to politics & religion but the text doesn't white wash anything.
You're quite right

Even as I typed it I thought something was wrong!!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
You're quite right

Even as I typed it I thought something was wrong!!
I wouldn't worry about it Lynx-lynx. You had the right country, just the wrong sitting monarch.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
varlog
just member

Quote:
OK, as you indicate you ware influenced by: is there a link to it?
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
OK, as you indicate you ware influenced by: is there a link to it?
Yep, there are several links right here at MR that lead to it. And there are also other copies at Amazon and Kobo. I'm sure other ebook vendors also have it somewhere in their stock.
epub
Kindle
Old 10-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
Luffy
Guru
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Sophie's World. It was the best book I'd read (in 1990) until the year 2000. It still remains a remarkable book, in the way some of Western philosophy is both condensed and simplified brilliantly. It remains a unique book and a nostalgic one now. I've never read a book about philosophy that's as easy as SW. It's also a book that I've read so many times that I'll never read it again.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Tablet
Two books that greatly influenced me were "A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide" by Samantha Power and "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

I read Harper Lee's book when it was originally published in the 1960s and it made me look take another look at my childhood. Ultimately, it was the original stimulus for my becoming an active part of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s and made me look more closely at the world around me.

I also read Power's book when it was originally published about 2002. I always had associated genocide with the Holocaust of World War II, but Power made me realize that genocide didn't stop with the end of World War II. She also made me realize that American politicians were paying lip service to "never again" as they sat and watched it happen repeatedly. I became an advocate for U.S. intervention to prevent genocide. I advocated, for example, intervention in Darfur, which I considered a worthy role for America, even if we had to intercede alone.

Unfortunately, you asked for one book and I've given two. There are a number of other books that over the course of a lot of years of life that have greatly influenced my behavior. Alas, unlike crich70 who was positively influenced by the Bible, I found it to be a very negative influence. It is interesting how the same book, be it fiction or nonfiction, old or new, can positively affect some and negatively affect others. The human mind is wonderful in that regard.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

Unfortunately, you asked for one book and I've given two. There are a number of other books that over the course of a lot of years of life that have greatly influenced my behavior. Alas, unlike crich70 who was positively influenced by the Bible, I found it to be a very negative influence. It is interesting how the same book, be it fiction or nonfiction, old or new, can positively affect some and negatively affect others. The human mind is wonderful in that regard.
True. Everyone is different in how they perceive the world around them and so their reaction to a given book, piece of music, etc. will vary as well.