Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
The Snarky Englishwoman

I love these intelligent characters - a sarcastic and humourous inner dialogue with funny quips and jests, often cast alongside a capable male character that doesn't quite know how to handle her at first. Gets into hilarious situations. Common in the mystery genre perhaps but not necessarily.

I'm looking for further recommendations of books/series with these character types. Ones I've enjoyed so far are:

Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters
Claire in Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Alexia Tarabotti in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger
Lady Julia Grey by Deanna Raybourn
Mary Russell by Laurie King (less humourous than the others)

I'm sure there is an American equivalent but I can't come up with any examples. Stephanie Plum is close but she lacks that extra bite of sarcasm (and maybe a bit of intelligence).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Libre Color
How about Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series? The heroine, Lady Georgie, is an impoverished royal in the 1930s. These are a lot of fun; I have listened to the audiobook versions, narrated by Katherine Kellgren, who does a fabulous job.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
How about Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series? The heroine, Lady Georgie, is an impoverished royal in the 1930s. These are a lot of fun; I have listened to the audiobook versions, narrated by Katherine Kellgren, who does a fabulous job.
Thanks I will add this to my list. On Goodreads, one of the common shelves for the first book is "chick lit" - is this a misnomer?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Libre Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thanks I will add this to my list. On Goodreads, one of the common shelves for the first book is "chick lit" - is this a misnomer?
I don't really know what chick lit is, and would be put off by the description. This is just your basic cozy mystery, but quite well done, with a quirky and appealing heroine, nice historical details, interesting characters, and some funny but believable situations. I think they're great fun--especially as audiobooks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Kiki's cheeky Christmas!
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo
I too loved Amelia Peabody and would also like to read more books with similar characters.

Thank you both for the books you've posted, I'll check them out.

Unfortunately I can't think of any others to add.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony 350/T1,Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD/HD+, Fire HDX
Elizabeth Peters' Vicky Bliss series

Nancy Bartholomew's Sierra Lavotini series

Nancy Martin's Blackbird Sisters series

Anne George's Southern Sisters series

Jennifer Crusie's books

Sandra Hill's books

Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series

Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series

C. E. Murphy's The Walker Papers series

The last three don't have hilarious situations per se, but the main characters are strong, snarky females and there is a lot of ironic and dry humor in their dealings with men in their lives.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forgot to add:

Georgette Heyer - "The Grand Sophy"
Old 09-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
mitford13
Evangelist
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Fire HDX 8.9
Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Pollifax
Simon Brett's Mrs. Pargeter
Amanda Cross's feminist professor, Kate Fansler
I'd say the snark is on the gentle/subtle side in these, but definitely intelligent.

Last edited by mitford13; 09-21-2014 at 06:43 PM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How about the Thursday Next & the women in Jasper Ffords - The Ayre Affair? Jasper Fford is snarky.

How about Granny Weatherwax in Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series? Try "Wryd Sisters" or "Witches Abroad" or the Tiffany Aching series.

Or what about Susan - Deaths Granddaughter. She became a nanny for a household where the previous nanny kept the kids in bed by making them believe in the Monsters under the Bed. Susan taught them that the Monsters believed in the fireplace poker.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Luffy
Guru
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I've read Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy books, and if the other series is funny then I do need to check it out.

My own suggestion is for an underrated series, "A Jaine Austen Mystery series". The books that are good are funny altogether, it's not restricted to only the heroine's character. There are a lot of jokes in the books that are good. So I think it's safe for you to try the first 6 books in this series, they are funnier than Stephanie Plum, by any means.
Luffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard

Thank you for the recommendations, my wishlist is growing! Some series also have the "chick lit" label attached, but I will ignore it and judge for myself.

I don't really know what "chick lit" is either. It is defined on wikipedia as "genre fiction which addresses issues of modern womanhood, often humorously and lightheartedly". I hardly think a story based in the 1930s could be classified as addressing "modern womanhood". I don't think Stephanie Plum addresses womanhood, it is just humourous mystery. Judging from the cartoony book covers of the popular books in this genre, the stories may revolve around shopping, fashion or food, in which case they will lose my interest quickly.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
Xanthe
Wizard

Don't judge the books by their covers...a lot of times covers have almost nothing to do with the storyline.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
I am so with you there Xanthe...I do wish the publishers would do a better job with cover art relating to the content and not to a testosteroned-up male image as on so many titles.My imagination is much better at filling in such details. LOL
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
hildea
Connoisseur
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had a BeBook Neo earlier)
Sarah Rees Brennan's Lynburn Legacy triology, starting with Unspoken. There are a couple of free prequel short stories: In "The Summer Before I Met You" you'll meet the protagonist, Kami. "The Spring Before I Met You" features another important character in the books.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9
Oh, by all means, Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. Not UK, but Melbourne, Australia in 1928. Wonderful characters, witty and fun. First book is Cocaine Blues. There are currently 20 books in the series, and I consider them a real treat.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote